JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The only thing that will scare the BG away is looking down my barrel and/or verbal warning."
The first shot works pretty well too. The stupidest phrase in the English language is "fair fight." I wouldn't knowingly shoot a drunk who has stumbled into my house, but that would be pretty difficult since we are careful to lock up well at night. Anybody who presents a real threat will not be treated as a benign presence. The safety of my family is my primary concern, and the well-being of an intruder is not a priority.

long guns, including AR's and shotguns, mag or tube loaded on a dropped hammer, chamber empty.

Me too. I'm all about avoiding that accidental discharge. I will sometimes chamber a round depending on a change in perceived threat level. As has been stated by a few others, I want a few steps between waking up and "boomstick go boom". I'm pretty sure a few extra milliseconds won't make that much difference. To each his own - whatever you're comfortable with I guess. I know you never know when you'll need it, but I'm pretty sure my dogs will give me sufficient heads up.

Autos, full mag, empty chamber (especially if the firing pin has no spring). Wheelguns, full load, hammer down.

Me too. I'm all about avoiding that accidental discharge. I will sometimes chamber a round depending on a change in perceived threat level. As has been stated by a few others, I want a few steps between waking up and "boomstick go boom". I'm pretty sure a few extra milliseconds won't make that much difference. To each his own - whatever you're comfortable with I guess. I know you never know when you'll need it, but I'm pretty sure my dogs will give me sufficient heads up.

Autos, full mag, empty chamber (especially if the firing pin has no spring). Wheelguns, full load, hammer down.

Dogs. Can't beat it. It doesn't matter to me how big they are so long as they are alert and noisy.

Meet Mandy, about 8 yrs, and Missy foreground, about 6+ years.

Doggies-1.jpg

I think you have to look at your own situation. I don't have kids in the house. I live on land where I can't penetrate to a neighbor. With no kids to worry about hitting or to protect, yes I can stay in my room and hide, or fire at will.

"Things" aren't worth the legal hassle or the danger of hunting someone down to shoot them. That's what insurance is for. So long as they stay out of my bedroom, they can have the place. If they enter my "space" they are dead.

We have all of the lights in our house on sensors. Every room or hall a BG enters, he turns on the lights. I stay in the dark. If he crashed my bedroom door, he is flooded with hall light and I'm in the dark.

He's never going to hear or see anything. except - :D

satan.jpg

I think you have to look at your own situation. I don't have kids in the house. I live on land where I can't penetrate to a neighbor. With no kids to worry about hitting or to protect, yes I can stay in my room and hide, or fire at will.

"Things" aren't worth the legal hassle or the danger of hunting someone down to shoot them. That's what insurance is for. So long as they stay out of my bedroom, they can have the place. If they enter my "space" they are dead.

We have all of the lights in our house on sensors. Every room or hall a BG enters, he turns on the lights. I stay in the dark. If he crashed my bedroom door, he is flooded with hall light and I'm in the dark.

He's never going to hear or see anything. except - :D

satan.jpg

I have small child and a lot of things that could never be replaced. Therefore, I would go hunting through the house for the intruder and eliminate the threat.

Then again, with three 100lb+ dogs in the house and both geese and peacocks that live in the hedge...I highly doubt a person could get close enough to throw a rock at my house without me knowing, let alone get in.

Wow, you have peacocks? In your yard? Who has peacocks? Where do you get peacocks? Do you feed them and treat them as pets or do they just live out there?

mind == boggled

Weigh the risks people.

An accidental gun shot due to chambered round vs. your life being saved because you had a round chambered

I feel its far more likely that someone grabs my gun and accidently shoots it than the UNLIKELY possibility I will not have time to chamber a round in the UNLIKELY event of a home invasion.

Its very unlikely a home invasion would ever occur and its even more unlikely that if it occurs you won't have a second to chamber a round. Accidental gun shot is more likely

I absolutely never ever ever chamber a round when the gun is out of my pocession. When carrying, sure, I'll chamber a round (less than half the time though, depending on my assesment of risk) Obviously when I am hunting I have a round chambered because I expect to shoot something

I don't have kids, I just don't want a gun of mine fired accidently...at all...by anyone. I can help reduce the risk of that happening by keeping the chambers clear. So that is what I do... And you should to. Unless you are so dang paranoid you are willing to put yourself and others in danger to increase your draw time in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY senario that you get home invaded and ALSO do not have a spare second to chamber a round

Some of you guys talk about this topic like you are going to be home invaded tomorrow and that kind of paranoia scares me most. A paranoid gun toting home owner can be a bigger threat to society than a burglar. Think about it. Pizza man gets the wrong house...blaaam! neighbor is drunk, goes to wrong house...blaam! your teenage or degenerate 20 something kid sneaks outside to puff a cig, comes back in...blaaam! You didn't hear your wife get out of bed, she drops a pan in the kitchen, you think she is being held hostage in the kitchen....blaaam! Neighbor is beating his wife, she runs into your house via backdoor to seek immediate help....blaaam! 11yr old neighbor kids are daring eachother to steal a twinkie from your kitchen cupboard....blaaam! I can go on and on

If you are constantly mentally anticipating (or obsessing) something like a home invasion then you are probably going to keep a chambered round in every gun in every room. Depending on your level of paranoia vs your level of sanity, people should probably be weary of you and if they don't know to be then some serious misunderstandings can occur

Weigh the risks people.

An accidental gun shot due to chambered round vs. your life being saved because you had a round chambered

I feel its far more likely that someone grabs my gun and accidently shoots it than the UNLIKELY possibility I will not have time to chamber a round in the UNLIKELY event of a home invasion.

Its very unlikely a home invasion would ever occur and its even more unlikely that if it occurs you won't have a second to chamber a round. Accidental gun shot is more likely

I absolutely never ever ever chamber a round when the gun is out of my pocession. When carrying, sure, I'll chamber a round (less than half the time though, depending on my assesment of risk) Obviously when I am hunting I have a round chambered because I expect to shoot something

I don't have kids, I just don't want a gun of mine fired accidently...at all...by anyone. I can help reduce the risk of that happening by keeping the chambers clear. So that is what I do... And you should to. Unless you are so dang paranoid you are willing to put yourself and others in danger to increase your draw time in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY senario that you get home invaded and ALSO do not have a spare second to chamber a round
That makes sense, but it is situational. If you often have people over to your house who don't know how to handle firearms I can see how this might be an okay idea. I don't host parties or anything so it isn't really an issue for me. If I did have a bunch of people over who I'm not too comfortable with their weapons handling ability for whatever reason I would just make locking up all my guns (except my carry weapon of course) part of the clean-the-house-before-guests routine.

Some of you guys talk about this topic like you are going to be home invaded tomorrow and that kind of paranoia scares me most. A paranoid gun toting home owner can be a bigger threat to society than a burglar. Think about it. Pizza man gets the wrong house...blaaam! neighbor is drunk, goes to wrong house...blaam! your teenage or degenerate 20 something kid sneaks outside to puff a cig, comes back in...blaaam! You didn't hear your wife get out of bed, she drops a pan in the kitchen, you think she is being held hostage in the kitchen....blaaam! I can go on and on
Well that has less to do with a round being chambered and more to do with keeping a light and tritium sights on your weapon. Remember firearms handling rule #4: be aware of your target and what is beyond it. I would never shoot at anything without positive identification as a threat.

good to know Spengo. I was being somewhat comical when I thought up the list of unlikely senarios but in all seriousness people do accidently get shot by over-paranoid gunnuts...I would assume...because I dont have stats on that ofcourse

regardless I guess that is a little off topic.

Back to the debate...

good to know Spengo. I was being somewhat comical when I thought up the list of unlikely senarios but in all seriousness people do accidently get shot by over-paranoid gunnuts...I would assume...because I dont have stats on that ofcourse

regardless I guess that is a little off topic.

Back to the debate...

When I was in college there was a game called "fugitive" that some kids liked to play that involved in part sneaking through the back yards of the neighborhood across the street. The game got banned on campus after someone got guns pointed at them, lol. Having a round chambered vs. not chambered was not what kept the kid from getting shot, it was that the homeowner IDed his target and correctly determined that it was just a dumbass kid and not a real threat.

Bet he never does stupid crap like that again though!:s0114:

Because I have kids I don't have any loaded guns except my personal defense carry pistol. My kids know how to load the shotgun quickly and correctly, my oldest son has a shotgun and ammo under his bed and knows how to use it, he even had to load it once about 3 years ago to back me up in an altercation with an EX's dumb boyfriend that decided he wanted to be stupid and knock on my door to start BS, I did not have to prompt him to load it and by the time the situation was over and I actually realized that he had his shotgun out to back me up is when I went inside and found that he was at that time unloading it since he knew the situation was diffused.

Wow, you have peacocks? In your yard? Who has peacocks? Where do you get peacocks? Do you feed them and treat them as pets or do they just live out there?

mind == boggled

Yup, I feed them and they live just fine in the hedge around my driveway. You can order them from a couple hatcheries, McMurray and Privett come to mind. They are kinda cool...had two loads of chicks in the three years I've owned them...and they are great guard animals. Nothing gets by the screeching devil bird.

Because I have kids I don't have any loaded guns except my personal defense carry pistol. My kids know how to load the shotgun quickly and correctly, my oldest son has a shotgun and ammo under his bed and knows how to use it, he even had to load it once about 3 years ago to back me up in an altercation with an EX's dumb boyfriend that decided he wanted to be stupid and knock on my door to start BS, I did not have to prompt him to load it and by the time the situation was over and I actually realized that he had his shotgun out to back me up is when I went inside and found that he was at that time unloading it since he knew the situation was diffused.

thats good of you train your son to be smart & prepared...thats awesome :s0155: When I was growing up I had a .410 and 10-22 under my bed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top