JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know, I am warming to the idea of moving back to Oregon. Sad ain't it. LOL o_O
Sorry if this is a repeat. My comments seem to have disappeared. I agree only we are looking into moving to Montana. At least Montana's Governor isn't openly bisexual and a hater of people's rights. It's such a shame, we used to love Washington state, hate it now.

I hear you. I'm not near retirement age, but have plans in the works for expansion to the southwest. The best choice was Nevada, but now I learn that one of the new governor's top priorities is sweeping gun control. A decade ago we almost moved to Arizona, and now I am looking again; maybe we should have just bailed for the desert. ;)
We also thought about Arizona, the amount of crime is unbelievable. When we picked the area we wanted to go. We subscribed to the local paper. The amount of crime was unbelievable. Just make sure you do your homework before you make the change. I am glad we did.

Here is the email I sent. I know people are mad and want to be aggressive in their response, but in my experience the best way to get the results you want from government officials and employees is to be deferential. If you choose to use this as part of your email, please consider rewording, or adding or deleting some sections. I think receiving many individually written messages would be more effective than them receiving 100s of form letters.

Representative Jinkins, I wanted to let you know I think HB 1068 is bad public policy. Here are my reasons:
  • The empirical research by criminologists on the relationship between gun regulations and violent crime rates is slightly favorable to the hypothesis that gun ownership reduces crime (1).
  • Citizens need standard capacity magazines for the same reason police officers need them: self defense. In the stress of a life or death self defense scenario, simply hitting a human sized target is a challenge. From 1998 to 2006, NYPD officers using lethal force hit their targets 30 percent of the time when the target did not return fire, and 18 percent of the time when engaged in a gunfight (2).
  • Magazine capacity laws do not prevent mass shootings. California has restricted legal magazine size since 1989, yet this restriction failed to stop the Thousand Oaks, Rancho Tehama, San Bernadino, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, and Christopher Dorner shootings, all in the last 6 years.
I do everything I can to be careful. We have a house alarm, motion activated lights, and live in the best neighborhood we can afford. I don't ever want to fight anyone, much less shoot anyone. But in that last resort, if someone were determined to inflict serious harm on my family, I want as many options as possible. Firearms and standard capacity magazines might make the difference between surviving or not surviving. Please don't reduce my options for protecting the lives of my family.

Sincerely,

Sean Olander

(1) Kleck, Gary. (2014). "The Impact of Gun Ownership Rates on Crime Rates: A Methodological Review of the Evidence." Journal of Criminal Justice, 43, 40-48 (attached)
(2) Evaluation of the New York City Police Department Firearm Training and Firearm-Discharge Review Process, Page 14​

Not sure attaching the Kleck study was necessary. I can't find the link where I downloaded, if you want it PM me with your email and I will send it to you.

10 rounds, applies to all magazines, can keep magazines you already own, can't buy, import, sell, or transfer. However, magazines can only be kept in the house, or used at a firing range or while hunting, and must be transported to/from the house unloaded and locked separately. So concealed carriers would be limited to 10 rounds or less even if they have grandfathered mags.

We also thought about Arizona, the amount of crime is unbelievable. When we picked the area we wanted to go. We subscribed to the local paper. The amount of crime was unbelievable. Just make sure you do your homework before you make the change. I am glad we did.

That's great advice. I've been looking at AZ, never gave crime a second thought, I will now.

Whelp it is official now. Wifey has a new job on the Oregon Coast so we will be moving out of the Seattle area by the end of this month. At least we already have pro2A friends living there who dislike the new gungrabbing laws as much as we do.

Funny you mention it, because that is actually why we passed on an opportunity to relocate there some 10-ish years back. That particular community's crime rate was off the charts. Though, from what I've seen, it varies depending on where you are there. Comparing the two (OR and AZ), AZ's violent crime rate is significantly higher. Property crime rates are almost identical though.

I think that the establishment of a registration would need to be spelled out, but "provenance" is an incredibly vague term. It could be as simple as a time stamped picture of your mags stored with them.
It does look like they wouldn't be allowed in carry guns though, given the listed exemptions for use.
Washington State Legislature

Thanks for the link to the proposed illogical bill. Wrote letter to my reps. :)

I agree only we are looking into moving to Montana. At least Montana's Governor isn't openly bisexual and a hater of people's rights. It's such a shame, we used to love Washington state, hate it now.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Montana governor supports assault weapon ban

By REBECCA MORIN

08/19/2018 12:06 PM EDT

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock on Sunday said he would support a ban on semiautomatic weapons — the strongest stance the Democratic governor has taken on gun control as he weighs a possible run for the 2020 presidential election.

Bullock in May wrote in an op-ed in the Great Falls Tribune that he would support universal background checks...

...During the CNN interview, Bullock said there need to continue to be red flag laws, universal background checks, and even age and magazine restrictions.

"Let's begin with everybody wants to keep themselves and their family safe and let's try to find those values so we can move those things forward," he said.
Montana governor supports assault weapon ban

Nowhere is safe.

They want them, they'll get them.

Majority of young people don't know, don't care or are peer pressured into silence.

Most police coming on the job are much the same. Read somewhere that a huge majority of new recruits have never fired a gun and don't have any besides their service weapon.

We are rapidly watching the decline of our sport/hobby/lifestyle before our eyes... The key to slowing it is outreach, but we're probably 10-20yrs too late.

Look around you at the range... You know what I'm saying.

We need a full court press on this.... Voters, friendly politicians, social media, retailers... manufacturers....

Especially the manufacturers. Their futures are at stake. Civilian sales have to make a good chunk of profit. I woul love to see them stand together and only sell to agencies what is legal for civilians.

All fantasy. Mfrs think they're immune. Conservative voters can get on the same page and don't vote... The rest of us have too much to lose in making too much noise.

Practice those speedloaders, they're tricky.
Stock up on caps and powder...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top