JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is yet another reason to be frequenting the "What have you done to prep today?" thread. We can finger point all day long but in the end we must remember this.

Nature bats last.

Reports the power was out all day. So no, notifications are not going to happen. When it really hits the fan we must all know emergency services are beyond thin. Sure, things like effective coordination of emergency services like in a forest fire can help, but in other situations, especially if comms are down, good luck. In many areas with all hands on deck, you still end up with one EMS staff (fire, police) per few hundred to over 1,000 people, likely worse.

Prayers to these folks as many clearly did not know what hit them until it was too late.

So question........

If the tsunami sirens had been sounded, what would the reaction of residents have been? I keep hearing that not sounding them was a failure, but I have to ask, what good would it have done when residents associate that alarm with a big wave and not a wildfire?

-E-

So question........

If the tsunami sirens had been sounded, what would the reaction of residents have been? I keep hearing that not sounding them was a failure, but I have to ask, what good would it have done when residents associate that alarm with a big wave and not a wildfire?

-E-
If I heard the siren I would have headed inland (probably right towards the flames). Unless, I had a surfboard then I would have hit the beach and rode that big wave right over the flames. :D

So question........

-E-
They aren't simply tsunami sirens. They are "all hazard" sirens that blast to alert people to tune into radio or TV for additional information. At best, it would have likely given folks more time to collect themselves, provisions, and hightail it out of the area. Knowing which direction the fire was coming from and which avenues of escape still existed may have saved some lives... however... the sequence of unfortunate events certainly showed some flaws in the system. Then again... I wasn't there. The speed that it advanced into Lahaina and inherit confusion and traffic jams that were likely... those extra few minutes might not have made any difference whatsoever.

IE., Why wasn't the system on backup generators(??) Is it hardwired or is it dependent on remote electronics(??) I dunno... but something screwed the pooch.

Last Edited:
So question........

-E-
They could have, through prior efforts, known then to tune in to their radio station and or app if still working.

Last time I was in Hawaii I saw so many locals wearing shirts that said "Hawaiian by birth, American by force". They may not like the mainland but sure are needing us now and I hope they get the help they need. The Santiam fires a couple years back did some major damage to several towns near us and it was not even newsworthy. FEMA eventually stepped in but the locals were left alone to defend their property from all those scum bums looting.
I kind of want to give it back to them. Fewer electoral college points and they'd never make it on their own.

So question........

-E-
Head to high ground, into the fire? Last place they would go is anywhere near the water I would think? Just guessing except the water part

Hawaiians.
The 5 largest ethnic groups in Hawaii are Asian (Non-Hispanic) (36.8%), White (Non-Hispanic) (21.6%), Two+ (Non-Hispanic) (19.2%), Native Hawaiian & Other Pacific Islander (Non-Hispanic) (9.65%), and Two+ (Hispanic) (5.12%).
Data from

The 5 largest ethnic groups in Hawaii are Asian (Non-Hispanic) (36.8%), White (Non-Hispanic) (21.6%), Two+ (Non-Hispanic) (19.2%), Native Hawaiian & Other Pacific Islander (Non-Hispanic) (9.65%), and Two+ (Hispanic) (5.12%).
Data from
Oh yeah. I'm well aware. They'd tear each other apart.

Pretty sure the Japanese commercial fishing fleets would just love to be based from Pearl Harbor.... :eek:
The locals are some of the most racist people I've run into, and not just against the bubblegumming haole. But virtually everybody over there consider themselves native Hawaiian, kind of like everybody wants to have native American blood.

Data from
What the heck is two+? Is that what Tupac shakur was?

C88A5E4C-42A0-4459-9824-4A9A9FD62F67.png

The locals are some of the most racist people I've run into, and not just against the bubblegumming haole. But virtually everybody over there consider themselves native Hawaiian, kind of like everybody wants to have native American blood.
Very true. The lines between "asian" and "pacific islander" get blurry and more accepted... at least 3rd generation+... but let's face it. Haole's are Haole's and the more they claim they are "Hawaiian'... the more it pisses off the locals. 🤣

When Kilauea destroyed ~700 homes in that last big eruption the only insurance that agreed to cover those homes refused to pay for at least a year while a class action lawsuit had to be brought against them.

I suspect it will be more of the same

biggest difference here most policies exclude volcanic eruption! this was a fire covered by 100% of policies.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top