JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

A topic of conversation recently came up amongst some friends at work about how someone would handle having to evacuate their home either on foot, bicycle, or motorcycle. There are a few key assumptions in this scenario:
1. Roads are impassable, either choked with vehicles or physically damaged to the point that they cannot be used.
2. Remaining in your home would result in an unacceptable level of risk.
3. There is sufficient reason to be concerned for your safety while on foot that some kind of weapon may be needed, but less so than remaining in the home.

I have my own opinions and ideas on this subject, but wanted to raise it here and on the board and get some broader input on the following:
- What circumstances would drive you to pack up and leave your home in this kind of situation?
- What would your top considerations be when determining what to bring and how to carry it?
- What sorts of end destinations would you consider heading for, and why?
- What kinds of areas would you look for to stop overnight and set up camp during your trek, and why?
- Other thoughts on the topic?

Some random thoughts :

Good shoes / boots and socks....
"Non-tactical " clothing / ruck / gear.....
I say this because it may be best to look like everyone else / not stand out....

As for a weapon...
A favorite quote comes to mind here :
"Remember though , your best weapon is between your ears and under your scalp - provided it's loaded."
I am not saying to not have a weapon...
Just that your job here , from the sound of the OP is to survive...not fight or conquer.....
Bring a weapon or three...
Just remember that defense is more than fighting.
Situational awareness...Avoidance and Breaking Contact will be your friends here.

If you have to fight...hit hard...hit fast and hit with no regrets....

A terrain feature between you and any enemies is a good idea....

Light , sound and at times movement can be your worst enemy....
Andy

Some cardio/stamina would help with this. Doesn't do much good if one gets winded walking up a flight of stairs.

Totally depends on the circumstances of the evacuation.

Hurricane? Tornado? Fire? Hordes of naked non-binary bipeds?

I can't think of a single reason I would ever evacuate on foot. If it's so bad I can't get out with a vehicle, moving on foot isn't going to get me anywhere quickly either.

Totally depends on the circumstances of the evacuation.

Hurricane? Tornado? Fire? Hordes of naked non-binary bipeds?

I can't think of a single reason I would ever evacuate on foot. If it's so bad I can't get out with a vehicle, moving on foot isn't going to get me anywhere quickly either.
I know it's probably on the low end of the probability spectrum, especially for those with property and decently cached resources. I could see this being applicable to persons in densely populated areas, who are dependent upon city water, sewage, and power, have limited availability of local food supplies or stiff competition for those supplies.

For example, some of my coworkers live in apartment high-rises in downtown Seattle... they could shelter in place for a while, but would eventually run out of resources. Also, if their water supply is contaminated or ceases to function, or sewage system stops working, they'd be in a tough spot.

At age 75 and getting around with a cane, all be it a very sexy cane, Im staying home unless it was a fire. Evacuating by myself on foot would not be workable. Floods aren't an issue. The neighborhood is about 60 houses, all armed, one street way in, far enough from town to not be on anyone's obvious victim list. Too high for flooding to be a problem. If a fire threatened I would go stay with friends. If a mob did make it here I'd defend myself in my home from inside my home. As would, undoubtedly, all my neighbors. But I really doubt some sort of mob would happen. A fire is a more likely possibility since neighborhood is heavily wooded and contiguous with McDonald Forest. Which is why we have cougars and bears. Of course, a mega 9 earthquake could also be a possibility, and would be a major bummer.

Scenarios are hard to pick a route without knowing the true cause you need to take action. Given things that make you leave home then what they are determines the choices. Young folks think they can overcome anything by being physically fit and well armed. Old folks have their experience and have to choose different solutions.

I guess any scenario has to answer some questions.

Where will you go and is the timing right to leave?

Will there be food and safety when you get there.

Can you survive with your skill level when you reach your destination.

If you ponder the trip the best route and the time to travel then it's possible to walk out of hell. Distance will be an enemy because of food, wear and tear along with threats.

Best I can do for now.

Trek to where?

I am staying home and hope to take out at least two before I get smoked. That is a really good ratio if all of us join in the fun 🇱🇷

Remaining in your home would result in an unacceptable level of risk.
Please give some examples of where remaining in my home would result in an 'unacceptable level of risk' ?

I can honestly say the 'worst' something could potentially get the more I would WANT to stay in my home.

It's kind of like what I remember from a particular military training scenario when the question came up as to when do you 'surrender' or 'relinquish' your weapon ? - the answer is NEVER.............

Please give some examples of where remaining in my home would result in an 'unacceptable level of risk' ?

I can honestly say the 'worst' something could potentially get the more I would WANT to stay in my home.

It's kind of like what I remember from a particular military training scenario when the question came up as to when do you 'surrender' or 'relinquish' your weapon ? - the answer is NEVER.............
A major wildfire. If it hits your home you die. A friend of mine in CA had to evacuate three years ago. Came back to ashes. A farmer friend of mine in OR had to evacuate in 2020. Various farmer friends took in them, their heavy equipment, livestock, etc. Fire stopped a quarter mile away from their place. With those big wildfires, they are so hot they create their own weather. And your home will likely explode into a fireball, not catch fire and slowly burn.

A good sound track may be helpful....:D

Hit the road Jack...
Life is a Highway...
I'm going to be 500 miles....
Highway Star....
Walking after Midnight...
These boots were made for walking....
Should I stay or should I go....
Highway to Hell...
On the road again...
Going up to the county...
Ramble on....

Are a few that come to mind.
Andy

A major wildfire. If it hits your home you die
Yes, I certainly understand wildfires as a concern considering I live in a heavily forested, semi rural location in Central Oregon and have had fires VERY close to home a few times however I interpreted the OPs post as to evacuation concerns due to other than non - natural circumstances.
A friend of mine in CA had to evacuate three years ago.
I had a friend in CA (Malibu) lose her home to a fire about that time as well and another friend who had a friend of hers lose a house as well.

And your home will likely explode into a fireball, not catch fire
AND If my home explodes into a fireball how will it NOT catch fire? I'm thinking if it EXPLODES into a fireball it WILL in fact be on fire.
Just wondering......

Last Edited:
Fire, earthquake or mud slides are reasons you might have to evacuate from your home and supplies. Impassable or blocked roads could prevent use of a vehicle even for a lifted 4x4. I'm talking about a SHTF scenario, and no being able to take your trailer to the Walmart parking lot as happened in Southern Oregon due to fires . So for me bike (we both have mountain bikes) or boots would be the most likely option. Wife is an avid and capable runner so moving on foot wouldn't be a problem for her, even with a pack. Me and the dog are slower, but then he's also a big malamute so we can a bit carry more together, too.

I'm looking for gravel bikes for me and wife for fun, but seems like that would be a good choice, here. Quieter than a dirt bike and charges with pedaling so no fuel needed.

Interesting whether your evac or wcs you better now what your doin for most stick it out in a fortified position much safer or get some training there are alot of moving components to consider when you go out on foot !
- SERE-

Yes, I certainly understand wildfires as a concern considering I live in a heavily forested, semi rural location in Central Oregon and have had fires VERY close to home a few times however I interpreted the OPs post as to evacuation concerns due to other than non - natural circumstances.

I had a friend in CA (Malibu) lose her home to a fire about that time as well and another friend who had a friend of hers lose a house as well.

AND If my home explodes into a fireball how will it NOT catch fire? I'm thinking if it EXPLODES into a fireball it WILL in fact be on fire.
Just wondering......
If one part of your house catches fire the way most individual house fires occur, you can probably get out. It takes a while for the fire to spread throughout your house. You'll probably have time to escape. If you stubbornly stay in your home as a mega wildfire approaches, your home may reach the temperature at which it explodes into fire before the flames even reach it. Nearly your entire home will be burning almost instantly. And if you are in that home your odds of surviving long enough to get out aren't good.

Might as well travel with a song...

There was a time in just a few years younger I was set for a bug out. Old men won't walk far and even though I walk 40 min every day I can't do a marathon with a load of gear. It's drh for me and I accept it as old age keeps making me weaker.

I know how I would do it if I was younger and because I have lived in Oregon for 69 years I know the country well. Heck I did construction all over the state.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads