JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Rifle is short stroking with me bolt carrier group ran fine with the old one

• Any advice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
A different BCG.
Ok I'll start looking into them I was at a gun store earlier and the highest they had was 62 grain but I will go back in the morning and see what they have right now I have winchester 55 grain 556, remington 223 55grain, federal 223 55 grain and tulammo 223 62 grain

I got a brand new fail zero BCG once that ran too tight in the gun I installed it in, and did exactly what you are describing. Got a different AR, swapped the BCGs, and both ran fine with the switched parts. Swapped back, and I got the original problem again. Try the BCG in a different gun, and if the problem persists, call Sharps and see what they say. They should take care of you.

But stay away from Federal-Independence XM193i

And that.
I'm going to try it again If it persist then I'll just have to use it for my .300 pistol build for now I'm goin to try the simple and cheap things to get it running like different ammo, polishing my upper and trying it in my brothers carbine also (bcg)

Ok I'll start looking into them I was at a gun store earlier and the highest they had was 62 grain but I will go back in the morning and see what they have right now I have winchester 55 grain 556, remington 223 55grain, federal 223 55 grain and tulammo 223 62 grain

Not all of that ammo is going to ail in a properly running rifle, that is not your issue, the issue is the BCG. I'm trying to understand why you seem opposed to sticking the original one that works.

I got a brand new fail zero BCG once that ran too tight in the gun I installed it in, and did exactly what you are describing. Got a different AR, swapped the BCGs, and both ran fine with the switched parts. Swapped back, and I got the original problem again. Try the BCG in a different gun, and if the problem persists, call Sharps and see what they say. They should take care of you.
I was measuring the difference inside my upper and it does sit a bit tighter but because that's how the bcg was built due to carrier tilt so I will take that into regard tomorrow

Not all of that ammo is going to ail in a properly running rifle, that is not your issue, the issue is the BCG. I'm trying to understand why you seem opposed to sticking the original one that works.
I dont have a problem sticking to the original one but I also like to experiment at times plus I didnt have to much time to figure out why it was giving my the problem it was under 20 degrees the day I was trying out my sharps bcg and tomorrow will be alot warmer so itll give me more time to test it again. With more day light if I get there early.

Pro tip:
All these fancy BCG's (lightweight and/or special finishes, geometry, etc., etc., etc.) ain't all that.
I'm beginning to feel that well I still have my money back guarantee from sharp they gave me 30 days I have about 2 weeks with it so if it doesnt work I'm sending it back or just keep it for the other build and probably will work alot better on a sbr build as it was designed to flush more pressure and dampen the recoil

While I am not familiar with the Sharps bcg, what you are describing sounds like it's designed to tame an overgassed rifle, like a 6920 or milspec m4. Your barrel already has less dwell time than the 20" barrel a rifle length gas system is designed for , so the fancy bcg may be slowing this rifle down too much.

I just ordered an LMT enhanced bcg for a ar308 carbine I am building, but those guns are very overgassed. So not knocking "alternative BCGs" per se but it may not be appropriate for this rifle.

All of this is total wild bubblegum guesswork without knowing the port size. Maybe you can find that out from the barrel manufacturer

Last Edited:
My barrel is so short that all I ever seem to do is short stroke.

Running it wet is very helpful, but too much and you'll have a big mess on your hands!

A lot of time when mine is in the middle of a cycle she'll spit it out and won't let me feed any more in too.

Your not alone, bro. A lot of us have these same issues. A lot.

That almost caused me a keyboard full of coffee.:eek::eek::D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads