JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just thought I'd start up some friendly discussion here. Have you ever re-bought a gun (or bought a gun you previously owned a second time)? If so, what was it and the reason you re-bought it?

For me, I had both a SW 500 magnum revolver and a WASR10 that I had to sell a few years back to have extra money in the bank towards a down payment for my present day house. Not too long ago, I was able to repurchase them because I missed them so much. Now, these weren't the exact guns I once owned but the same exact models bought else where. Has anyone else done anything similar? If So please share.

Yep. I've done that a few times.

Have managed to replace two of the lost boys:

A pre-safety Beretta Jetfire .25 (I know, I know, it's a wimpy caliber. But I really like the little thing. And I'm not going bear hunting with it.)

A 3.8" XDM .45 - fits my hand well, and I can hit with it.

The other waifs? A Ruger LCR .357, an AK47, a JM-stamped Marlin .22 lever gun, a Makarov pistol... Someday, they'll come home.

I think I need to get rich.

Three times for me. I bought an M&P45 full size and sold it off. Then I actually bought the exact same one back from the person I had sold it to and then had to sell it off again later. I also bought a Beretta U22 NEOS and sold it off and then I wound up buying another because I ultimately decided that was the 22 pistol I liked so far the most after trying others. That one was not the same exact pistol. And I had bought an M&P40c and had traded it off and then ended up buying another and then my brother in law actually ended up trading me for it by giving me his Glock 21C which is currently listed for sale in the classifieds here.

I recently reaquired the exact gun I had sold about two years ago on here. The guy I sold it to, sold it to another member on here, when we were doing a deal on some ammo he mentioned he had a gun I once owned. I have only regretted selling two guns, of probably 50 I've sold or traded over the years that was one of them. He mentioned he might be interested in selling, I made an offer and now she's back in the safe.

The other gun I regretted selling was a saiga 308 I had that shot incredibly well, 1.5" moa 5 shot groups at 100 with ball ammo. It needed to be converted because the trigger was terrible, I didn't feel like doing it and wanted to get into m1a's. Even as I did the deal I knew I'd regret it, I ended up picking up another saiga 308 but haven't shot it for groups yet. I'd still buy that original one back if I had the chance.

And just today I remembered one that I'd completely forgotten about. (some of you are probably tired of the story)
I bought a new, but nearly 10 years old Ruger 77MKII (boat paddle) from BiMart and turned it into what I thought was the "perfect" hunting rifle. A couple of weeks later my wife bought a Kimber Montana for me, which was a gun I'd lusted for. I sold the Ruger. The Kimber, well, it became a gun I hated. When "My" Ruger came up for sale a year or two later, I bought it back and sold the Kimber. That was a decision I'll never, ever regret. Once @Velzey gets healthy and can finish the rechamber, it won't likely ever leave my hands again. Period.

More than once it seems that there is about 4 of us that rotate guns ever couple years or so with each other until full circle.

The latest was a Polymer stock Arsenal SGL20 AK I bought years ago with several others when they were cheap.

A good buddy kept bugging me he wanted one so I sold it to him about a year after I got it. He never shot it he just fondled it and kept it in the safe. A year and a half later I bought it back but I zeroed it cleaned it and put it in the safe as I have one I abuse all the time.

Well a year later he bought it back again don't remember the reason and that was some time ago well you guessed it I just bought it back and even the second time he never shot it but he did use the money to by a wood stock AK which is what he really wanted so he could re-do the wood stock the way he wanted.

I think I will just keep it this time as they are now harder to get and they cost a whole lot more than when I first got them.

40 years ago, I painted the eaves of a very tall house for an un-fired mint in box Colt Huntsman.
20 years later I traded it to a friend for a 20 gauge Remington shotgun.
Two years ago, he wanted the Remington back, so I traded him, but the original box and papers were missing.
Last year he found the box, complete with papers and handed them back to me.

When I have the good fortune to find the same gun for sale I usually buy it back. I sold my first CMP Garand to a friend 15 years ago. He has moved across the country and half way back. I've asked to buy it back dozens of times, he finally said yes, I paid a premium (current market value) over what I sold it to him for and I pick it up next Monday from the FFL.
Biggest regret, found my first center fire, a Winchester model 64 at a gun show about 10 years ago, could have traded a built 10/22 for it, didn't, still kick myself. I knew the seller, found out shortly after that he got convicted of murder, he and the gun are gone.

That's the key. Never sell family heirlooms. I have bought lots of other family's heirlooms over the years, and while you may not miss it, you will someday. I never bought one without trying to talk the seller out of it.

I have some of my fathers old guns and someday (hopefully not too soon) I will have the rest. Most of my dads guns are guns I built for him or gave him. Those will never be for sale. At any price. Period.

Everything is about prioritizing. Everything without sentimental value is replaceable, regardless of what it is. Sometimes it's just more expensive and takes longer.

My dad passed away earlier this year. I just recently moved his guns from Mom's house to mine. Those, along with Grandpa's guns, won't ever leave. They will be handed down.

And, speaking of being a sentimental softie, I recently bought a gun that belonged to my grandson's other grandpa. My grandson is only 6 now and I knew there wouldn't be much that would be handed down from his grandfather, so I bought the gun to keep (and use some) until he's old enough for it.

I'm with these guys^^.

Just yesterday my dad was over and knows I've been short on income (especially since my knee issues) and he told me that he wasn't attached to his shotgun, his .22 or his dad's shotgun.

I told him they are heirlooms to me and I would never sell them no matter what situation I'm in.

I can't count the number of people I've met or talked to online that truely regret selling something that was passed down.

I was chatting with Jbett98 the other day and remembered yet ANOTHER one.
I bought a new Ruger 50th Anniversary 357 Flattop when they came out. Was gonna keep it as a "collectible", but I much rather shoot my guns than keep them tucked away. So I shot it for a while. Just didn't warm up to it, so I sold it. Later it came up for sale and I was too late, but the seller contacted the buyer and let him know I was interested if it ever came back on the market. Several months later I got a message that it was for sale. I bought it.
Once again I just didn't find shooting it as pleasurable as looking at it, so I traded it to a buddy for a 2" Model 19. I sold the 19 and shouldn't have done that...

It must be a sickness.:confused:

I owned a gunshop for a while, and a few times a month, guns would come in that I would guess were an heirloom at some point or another. They were all beautiful, even the ugly ones. It was painful to see the disregard that some people had for something that someone so obviously loved. If only some could have talked, my the stories they would have told.

One particular gun comes to mind. It was an old deluxe Winchester Model 71 in .348 win. The gun had been carried so much that the bluing was worn off the sides and bottom of the receiver. You could pick out four individual fingers in the bluing loss. I could put my hand on the receiver and my fingers fit right into the bluing loss. That was likely a lot of trips through the woods in someone's loving hand. And someone (not the one who sold it to me, he had bought it more recently) just let it get away. That's not a condemnation on the family who originally owned it, as I don't know their circumstances, but it just felt sad that the gun went somewhere that could only guess at its stories and its history...

I just thought of another one. Back in 88, I bought a pre 86 semi auto open bolt Ingram MAC-10. I sold the gun in the late 90's to pay some bills after the ex left. The guy I sold it to told me that if he ever needed to get rid of it. I would have first chance to buy it back. Sure enough about ten years later I bought it back.

Sold my first sub2k.Paid 350 for it,took it to the range a few times & then realized I could get 650 for it. Sold it & bought my first ar but always wanted another s2k. Found a gen 2 s2k a few months back in .40 on gun broker for a very good price so I had to buy it.

Oh geeze. Just remembered another one.
Sometime around 87-88 I bought a NIB Ruger SRM (Blackhawk 357 Maximum) with a 10.5" barrel. Had it for a while and mounted a Leupold 2x EER scope on it. Played with is som more then sold it to my boss. A few years later he sold it back to me. IT's really cool, but honestly, kinda useless to me. Sold it to a co-worker.

Yup. I'm sick...o_O

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top