JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This question isn't meant as serious social commentary or to infer that young men are sissies. I notice various threads talking about martial arts training, hand to hand combat training, knife fight training etc. and wonder how many folks on this forum have ever been in a real fight. I wonder because it sometimes seems that fighting as a kid is so "incorrect" these days that.. well I just wonder how any kid learns about such things before he grows up.

I was talking to a retired police officer acquaintance recently about the son of a mutual friend who had recently become a Portland cop. He stated that he had known the kid since he was a baby and knew the kid had never been in a fight in his life. He said that many of the "new cops" are in the same situation and he wonders how they will ever survive on the streets. He further stated that he had become uncomfortable as a cop when his department began partnering female officers with veteran male cops, and even more uncomfortable near the end of his carrer when he found that even some of the young male officers had never been in a fight before pinning on a badge. I won't repeat what he had to say about Portland assigning Social Workers to go on calls with street cops :)

I grew up at the same time this retired cop did and the world was a different place... I think. Virtually every boy got into fights now and then...and it was socially acceptable as long as you didn't start it. Often, it was one of your friends you ending up giving a black eye, or the other way around. Defending your mother's honor was about the only time it was considered acceptable to throw the first punch, but sometimes that rule was stretched some. I don't recall anyone getting very hurt but that is beside the point. Well, that's not entirely true... I have broken the pinky finger knuckles on both hands in youthful fights, and I have a little scar under my lip where someone's fist pushed my lip through my front tooth :)

Excluding military vets and LEO's, how many of you in the oh, under 40 year old crowd have ever been in a fight? Computer games don't count, nor does name calling and pushing. Who has been in a real fight where mutiple blows were thrown and something, no matter how stupid, was actually settled?

Let's see...

I'm 31.

-Lots of fights 4th-8th grade. :D

-When I was a freshman in college, beat up (not badly) a guy who deserved it. If you need any proof that he deserved it, here it is: His name was "Hippie Pete." On behalf of my whole dorm, I successfully solved a problem that needed to be solved. I'm not ashamed to admit I enjoyed it. Had a couple of other drunken fights with friends that year that didn't amount to anything.

-A few years ago, I got sucker-punched by a guy who was bigger and tougher than me, and he knocked down immediately. I wasn't exactly asking for it, but I wasn't exactly not asking for it either. It definitely settled our dispute, and I learned a couple of good lessons.

Been in a few scraps. Used to run with SHARPS when I was a dumb high school kid. Knocked out a few people's teeth, stabbed once, bat to the gut. Got older and learned fear though, so I haven't tussled since the early 90s.

Well, I'm 41 and can say that I can count on one hand all the real fights I've been in. Only a couple did I end up getting the worse. The last one was back in 90 and if it wasn't for his friend and mine I would probably have killed him, but they managed to stop me.

I do my best to avoid fights. I believe in Teddy's saying of "walk softly and carry a big stick". I would rather walk away than duke it out, but when pushed into a corner I turn into an animal. I took a little Akido a couple years ago, but not more than a few lessons since I ran out of money but I did grow up getting the snot beat out of me by my older brother, but i don't count those among my fights.

I am over forty, ex-military, and ex-LEO so I guess I do not count...but, I was raised very poor in a WV riverboat town. I had to fight a lot just to keep what was mine. Then when I got older I fought a whole lot (have a nice piece of surgical plastic in the bridge of my nose to show for it) due to the fact I had some repressed anger I took out on others. Being different growing up I felt very sorry for anyone that was picked on so I was always stepping in and intercepting a bullies attack on someone weaker.

My partner and his brothers have never been in a fist fight in their lives. Neither has my 19 year old nephew nor any of my employees.

I haven't been in a real fight since I was in my mid 20's it was over a woman if I recall. :eek:

Women or money. LOL! Been fighting since I was a kid, but haven't been in anything real in about 10 years. Carry an equalizer, either a knife or a pistol, with me every where I go and so far have been able to back out of a fight just by showing my hand. Seems people will back away from a knife almost as fast as a pistol. I've no real interest in hurting anyone but . . .

I haven't been in a real fight since I was in my mid 20's it was over a woman if I recall. :eek:
My last one was at least 13 years ago. At least I made the last one a real doozy. It was an all out brawl at a bar downtown called Embers. A few straight boys decided they were going to bash a very small friend of ours. I ended up getting between them and all **** broke loose. In the end they really regretted choosing that night to act like tough guys. :)

I did choke out my sisters BF about 6 years ago but that was not much of a fight. He was a dumb 19 year old. It lasted about 15 seconds before he was in a choke hold squealing like a pig.

I was the toughest kid in the 6th grade, and I was challenged at least once a week by someone that wanted my crown. I can't take much credit for being the toughest kid as it was all caused by my older brother who derived a great amount of pleasure from trying to kill me on a regular basis. We lived in a small town where many of the adults would go to bars for fun get all screwy and then start fighting, so as kids we thought it was as cool as smoking cigs. After my undefeated year I gave up my crown to dedicate myself to being an undersized lineman on the football team where I perfected the submarine tackle with the actual intent of trying to remove the ankles of my victims, and only had a few fights after that. Sure enough my brothers training never left me down, honestly I never fought any kid half as mean or half as big as that bubbleastard, lol.

My own kids have, as far as I know, never been in a fight and I think that is just fantastic! Kids have so much these days, way back then all we had was fury and fists, and rocks and sticks.

Over 40 so probably doesn't count.
But in highschool i got in a couple fist fights.

When i started hitting bars i quickly learned people carried knives, kicked in teeth, broke bones. And that usually both sides had huge medical bills at the end.

Learned youthful "pride" wasn't worth the effort or the true gauge of being a man.

Just under 40. Military brat. Got in at least one fight everywhere we moved (every two years) usually every new school (every year from 3rd grade until freshman year of HS. Only a few since I got big and strong enough to actually break bones like the one in my hand.
Two since growing up. Once in NYC, once here in PDX. Got the upper hand in both and in neither was there serious injury to either party. I'd like to keep it that way.
Now that I carry I find it hard to imagine "getting in a fight" in the traditional fisticuffs kinda way. You can't afford to lose a fistfight when your armed with deadly force so either don't fight or draw seem to be the only options. That means you had better have a good justification for drawing!:s0131:

The lesson I have learned over the years, having been in several fights, is that no matter who wins you all get hurt. Black eyes, puffed up lips, broken teeth, it ain't much fun the next day.:D

Better to simply walk away if it is possible and live to fight another day as the old saying goes.

I am way to old to fight now so I will have to shoot you to take advantage of that "disparity of force" rule if I get backed into a corner and have no way to retreat.

Well I'm in the over 40 group (just barely) but I had a chip on my shoulder in my younger days. I would go at it at the drop of a hat from about 9 to about 22 years, even for people I did not know. Stabbed once, hit with a car once and had more than my share of stitches (if I had not had family on the police force growing up I might have ended up at a different place in my life).

Playboy, we have at least one thing in common in that we would stick-up for, or step-in for others.

I was shocked and disappointed with the school district here last year. My son (in the first grade at the time) was "given a warning" and I got a phone call because on the bus he stepped in and pushed down a kid that was bullying others. They tried to tell me that it was not the right thing for my son to do :confused:. My son and have talked about this and he knows that if the teachers won't handle the problem kid and there is a need for immediate action then it is his responsibility to step in, school rules be damned.

I grew up with interesting circumstances. My mom was a very religious turn the other cheek kind of person, who told me that I couldn't fight under any circumstances when I was young. My dad on the other hand was a logger and ex-vietnam combat vet. As I got a bit older, probably in 5th or 6th grade, dad became more of a influence on me. He was the type that told me never to start a fight, but if a fight found me to make sure I finished it. I liked that a lot better! lol.

I got in more than my share of fights from then on out. I have never been a fight starter, but for a long time I didn't exactly do my best to get out of them either. lol.

I haven't been in a fight outside of training for a good few years now. I have a family and it just isn't worth it anymore. Legally, you can't do that crap. It isn't like it used to be and a guy can easily find himself in prison. Don't get me wrong, if backed into a corner I will come out swinging, I just try not to put myself in those positions where it likely to happen anymore.

I will also say that I hate this pc era. Some people need a good *** kicking. I also think it is a natural way for kids to settle dissagreements and learn to stand up for themselves.

I am 29 and I was raised to never back down, so I got into a lot of scraps growing up. That coupled with being the only Mexican family in alot of logging mill areas growing up didn't help.

My 4 yr old son a year ago was coming home from daycare with bruises and even got bit a couple of times. The daycare could never catch which lil kid was doing it. I took him aside and told him it was ok to stop someone from hurting him. Showed him to ball his fist and all that. Thought maybe he would over come just taking it like a champ. Next day we picked him up from the day care and there was an incident report waiting for us. Right as his classroom instructor turned toward some kids they saw my son cold cocked a boy that was bigger than him and even followed through. They seperated them and asked my son why he hit the other kid. He pulled up his sleeve and showed them a perfect set of teeth imprints on his arm. The kid got him good it took a week before they started to fade away. The other kid got what he deserved. My wife wasn't to thrilled but I told her its better to stand up for himself versus get trampled on.

I'm over 40 now (sigh) so I don't count. But I've often thought that you can't really consider yourself a fighter until you've fought and been beaten a few times. You learn a lot getting the crap beat out of you once or twice. It teaches you a certain clarity. After a couple fights your mind becomes a lot clearer and the adrenaline becomes manageable.

I worked as a bouncer for quite a few years in my early 20's. It was fun and I was lucky enough to not get charged for any assaults or get seriously injured.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top