JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - The Duke

Disagree, most serious matters can be successfully settled with violence. That is the way of this world..

While it may be the 'way of the world' I am not of this world and am not meant for an existence here. I am not a rollover leftist, pacifist, I am a God fearing man who will stand up for what's right. Not in my eyes but what is truly right.

I guess unless it needs to end a physical threat.. that's an acceptable form of fight.

Money, girls, parking space, juice box, --- not worth it

Family, friends, lively hood, --- prepare.

While it may be the 'way of the world' I am not of this world and am not meant for an existence here. I am not a rollover leftist, pacifist, I am a God fearing man who will stand up for what's right. Not in my eyes but what is truly right.

I guess unless it needs to end a physical threat.. that's an acceptable form of fight.

having never been in a fight, your perspective is inherently limited on this.

if a man has never been in a fight, he's never taken a critical stand against something. there's no way you can get through 20-odd-something years of life and never had to take a stand.

violence is not only often the best solution, it's also often the first solution. and as far as what things are worth fighting over, that depends entirely on the context of the situation. is a juicebox worth fighting over? if some bubblegum walks up to you and takes yours from you, you'd better put the stomp on that individual. especially at juicebox-age. it's often a pride issue, but beyond that- it's a social responsibility issue. if you do not stand up to him, he will simply continue to think he can walk the earth, gaining gratification from forcing his will on others. if you back away from that, you're doing your fellow man a great disservice by not only allowing injustice, but facilitating it by becoming the instrument of it.

i have 4 boys- 6, 4, 2 and 0. i will raise them with the same moral fortitude to stand up against wrong that i was raised with. i do not encourage the older ones to fight in general, but when wronged, i do encourage them to "even it up." they all teach each other the value and necessity of meeting force with exceeding violence. its the only thing that keeps the peace.

having never been in a fight, your perspective is inherently limited on this.

if a man has never been in a fight, he's never taken a critical stand against something. there's no way you can get through 20-odd-something years of life and never had to take a stand.

The bold section is the main focus of this reply.

I spoke with my wife regarding this and between the two of us we realized a few things. Yes I have taken a stand on items that could have led to fighting. I have been in situations where yes it takes a bigger man to resist the testosterone and adrenaline in throwing punches. I can count on both hands the number of times I have been at work and had some of the monkeys that I work with want to throw down.

It's not worth it. What does that prove? I guess the way that you have pointed out "inherently limited perspective" goes to show that you are quick to anger.

James 1:19, check it out. Brain over braun is and will always be the way I approach things. You can piss somebody off more by resisting their attempts at a physical confrontation. I know, I've been there numerous times. Do I intentionally try to make people mad? Nope, not the way I am. I hold fast to what I believe and do not waver. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's that.

as I stated earlier: Fighting is not always the answer. A mental defeat or morale defeat is just as effective.

I've been straight forward in my approach, and will not use any computer to hide behind. If somebody has an issue with me they can come talk to me. I will not discuss hot topics over the phone, over the internet, or through email.

Nothing gets settled that way...ever.
Live a little longer and you may change your tune...When the safety of another or a loved one is on the line....Some would say even life itself is worth fighting for.......

When folks talk about concealed carry or defensive strategy or other related subjects, I have to ask the same question as OP did to start this thread...

If you haven't had your life on the line in combat with an equal or greater opponent, you just don't know.....

a couple in elementary school. One I punched an kid in the teeth. The other I got upset, and pushed a kid, then punched his friend when he tried to grab me. Then there were a couple of occasions where I scared some kids so that they ran after they started a fight.

Then a couple of pushing matches in high school.

But never any movie style fights where we punched each other for hours on end and rolled around and hit each other with tools.

I don't consider that I have ever been in a serious fight. Most of the kids were too afraid, and I was just being overly aggressive in response to teasing.

I was that kid you knew for 6 months that had to move on, my stepfather always trying to reach a better dream put us through many travels, so I can remember being bullied a lot as a kid...my Mom is and always has been a strong Christian woman but my father at the time was an alcoholic, I got mixed signals on what was the right thing to do, my father would tell me when he was drunk "Buddy your strong, all you have to do is punch them once real hard and they will back down" and then he would tell me sober, I better just do the Christian thing and turn the other cheek ..my Mother always said the same thing show them love and they would do the same.........
Well, that is not the way it went, all men have to find that inner part of them that God gave them and say this is the day I don't put up with crap anymore!
So now I am 47, I have 3 bullet holes from a .380 in my abdomen and one permanent bullet lodged in me, I have scars all over my head as well as human teeth marks from the guy who shot me after I took him down took his gun away from him he bit me ...
I studied for a short jaunt a form of Japanese Military Karate while I lived with my Dad in my later teens in Mississippi..
All my life I have always tried to talk my way out of it, I would rather joke and laugh with you rather than we fight, but I am the kind of guy who hates bullies with a passion
for some reason you have these wolf type of people who think if you are a funny warm person you must also be a good mark too....
Well I am no sheep unless I am God's sheep, so if you bring it in my opinion is, if I tried everything to walk away without confrontation and you insist on dying today then you have killed yourself.

My father and papa taught me to never start a fight, but if I get into one, I damn well better finish it. :s0114: My papa used to say, "If it ain't gonna kill you or a loved one, it ain't worth worryin' yerself to death over". Both stressed taking a stand when it was important and not backing down when challenged, but also not to start anything that doesn't need to be started. That's why I can count on one hand the number of fights I've been in. All of them before I hit 20.

Yes, we have to agree on what is a serious matter, first. I happen to pretty much agree with your assessment, unless we're talking a robbery or something. Keep in mind that Yashua-Messiah constructed his own cat of many tails and whipped the cr@p out of the money lenders.. He used violence to solve a serious matter. Ecclesiastes tells us there is a time for everything under heaven

What the heck is a juicebox?

The bold section is the main focus of this reply.

I spoke with my wife regarding this and between the two of us we realized a few things. Yes I have taken a stand on items that could have led to fighting. I have been in situations where yes it takes a bigger man to resist the testosterone and adrenaline in throwing punches. I can count on both hands the number of times I have been at work and had some of the monkeys that I work with want to throw down.

It's not worth it. What does that prove? I guess the way that you have pointed out "inherently limited perspective" goes to show that you are quick to anger.

James 1:19, check it out. Brain over braun is and will always be the way I approach things. You can piss somebody off more by resisting their attempts at a physical confrontation. I know, I've been there numerous times. Do I intentionally try to make people mad? Nope, not the way I am. I hold fast to what I believe and do not waver. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's that.

as I stated earlier: Fighting is not always the answer. A mental defeat or morale defeat is just as effective.

I've been straight forward in my approach, and will not use any computer to hide behind. If somebody has an issue with me they can come talk to me. I will not discuss hot topics over the phone, over the internet, or through email.

If you will take the time to reread my first post you will note I never started any fights and I never threw the first blows (or whatever I did to win)

I sure as h#11 made sure I won, though

I was that kid you knew for 6 months that had to move on, my stepfather always trying to reach a better dream put us through many travels, so I can remember being bullied a lot as a kid...my Mom is and always has been a strong Christian woman but my father at the time was an alcoholic, I got mixed signals on what was the right thing to do, my father would tell me when he was drunk "Buddy your strong, all you have to do is punch them once real hard and they will back down" and then he would tell me sober, I better just do the Christian thing and turn the other cheek ..my Mother always said the same thing show them love and they would do the same.........
Well, that is not the way it went, all men have to find that inner part of them that God gave them and say this is the day I don't put up with crap anymore!
So now I am 47, I have 3 bullet holes from a .380 in my abdomen and one permanent bullet lodged in me, I have scars all over my head as well as human teeth marks from the guy who shot me after I took him down took his gun away from him he bit me ...
I studied for a short jaunt a form of Japanese Military Karate while I lived with my Dad in my later teens in Mississippi..
All my life I have always tried to talk my way out of it, I would rather joke and laugh with you rather than we fight, but I am the kind of guy who hates bullies with a passion
for some reason you have these wolf type of people who think if you are a funny warm person you must also be a good mark too....
Well I am no sheep unless I am God's sheep, so if you bring it in my opinion is, if I tried everything to walk away without confrontation and you insist on dying today then you have killed yourself.

People think they are invincible sometimes if they have bigger muscles than the other guy. But a study of anatomy shows that we are weak as everyone else even if you can hit harder. It takes no strength training to pull off a carotid choke and kill someone. It doesnt take a great ammount of strength to punch someone in the throat and collapse their airway. Men know our other weak points, and well.. most women do too. Martial artists I noticed tend to be much more aware of how many weakness we have.. Which is why I don't see too many of them looking for a fight.

People think they are invincible sometimes if they have bigger muscles than the other guy. But a study of anatomy shows that we are weak as everyone else even if you can hit harder. It takes no strength training to pull off a carotid choke and kill someone. It doesnt take a great ammount of strength to punch someone in the throat and collapse their airway. Men know our other weak points, and well.. most women do too. Martial artists I noticed tend to be much more aware of how many weakness we have.. Which is why I don't see too many of them looking for a fight.
In my book only one ever walked this soil invincible, I am a fairly big guy and most problems I have had with most men or when I was younger "young toughs" was smaller guys with little man syndrome,....I always would try to turn a soft answer to prevent wrath but they wouldn't have it, it made them think I was afraid of them then they took a chance and tried something ....same thing when I was a bouncer part time when I was in the service ...try to be nice to little Mr. Whiskey and he just got emboldened ...stinks I would rather not settle things that way but I can ...never underestimate your opponent! and never confuse tough for size or even ability in my book, a tough guy is usually about 80 years old and has the courage to say "one more day" and or a savior having the ability to wipe us off the face of the planet for our deeds but instead lets himself be sacrificed and spills his warm blood into the soil....
but that's me..:)

I agree Buddymack.

I have been in fights before. To me, three of the most important things in a fight is...

1. Use your mind.
Don't freak out, (being too scared, being too mad,etc..) don't loose control of your thoughts.

2. Speed.
With speed you can block someones blow or all blows that are directed toward you. With speed you can make contact when you need too before another person has time to react.

3. Power.
Having the force of power to cause damage or harm to someone or something, in blocking a blow that is directed toward you, or having the force of power to direct a blow into or onto something or someone if you need too.

Loosing your thoughts, being slow and being weak are sure ways of not being able to protect your self and loose a fight.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top