JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have enjoyed thumping elk with the 45-70. It sometime in the next few years I need to finish the .458 Win Mag project.
I have enjoyed the 458 for years so it's time.

image.jpg

I would go for a .35 Whelen or a .338 win mag. You can get a brand new savage in .338 win mag for a reasonable price everywhere. But if you want a thumper, Ruger does their American Ranch Rifle in .450 Bushmaster now.

This year I'm going with my .45-70 marlin for deer/elk/bear and am pretty much settled on the 325 gr leverevolution as my choice of cartridge/bullet.
I have and love my old model 70 -06 and .338 win mag, but this year their just going to have to sit there and be jealous.
Yes they do kick some, but here in the coast range the .45/70's just seem to fall into their own category of use.

Indeed it is!
So, I'm curious,...
Did you build it just to say you did it?
Or is that an idea for a dangerous game back-up/guide's rifle?
Or ???

Having owned a couple of Garands, and knowing how reliable they can be, I always wondered why I never saw one chambered in one of the thumper cartridges.
I suppose the purists will howl, but I think that is cool as he!!

I concur with the MasterChief,... Bad-Ace 4Shure.

The harder you hit the elk the harder the gun will hit you. Better moderate say 160 to 180gr whilst moving it plenty fast. Lots of calibers will do that without dislocating your shoulder.

I have enjoyed thumping elk with the 45-70. It sometime in the next few years I need to finish the .458 Win Mag project.
I have enjoyed the 458 for years so it's time.

View attachment 377235
Where's MINE? You have just shown my favorite cartridge. Of course, my Dr. says nothing larger than a .338 Winchester Magnum:(:(:(

The Bride and I prefer Solids so, of course, I'm out of Rifles but still have one box of Soft Points - not just sure what's so "Soft" about any .458 Loading, except the recoil!

So, I'm curious,...
Did you build it just to say you did it?
Or is that an idea for a dangerous game back-up/guide's rifle?
Or ???
Having owned a couple of Garands, and knowing how reliable they can be, I always wondered why I never saw one chambered in one of the thumper cartridges.
I suppose the purists will howl, but I think that is cool as he!!
I concur with the MasterChief,... Bad-Ace 4Shure.

I'm curious if it will handle full power loads :)

Cuz that would be a sweet setup :cool:

I original bought one back in the early 90's when a smith down south started making them. He has since past, and nobody else continued making them..except me:D
Definitely a dangerous game rifle!:)

I've rebuilt several into .458 Win Mag and actually improved the reliability. It will function with full power factory loads and also hot reloads. I use an adjustable gas plug to fine tune reloads. It's nice to be able to to increase or decrease the gas needed to function.
It hold 5 rounds!
Oh Lordy the purists heads exploded on Facebook when I posted info about it..
The most expensive part is the barrel. Quite a bit of turn work since I start out with a .458 barrel blank:eek:

I original bought one back in the early 90's when a smith down south started making them. He has since past, and nobody else continued making them..except me:D

I've rebuilt several into .458 Win Mag and actually improved the reliability. It will function with full power factory loads and also hot reloads. I use an adjustable gas plug to fine tune reloads. It's nice to be able to to increase or decrease the gas needed to function.
It hold 5 rounds!
The most expensive part is the barrel. Quite a bit of turn work since I start out with a .458 barrel blank:eek:

Screw those nerds..... That is freakin' sweet and they can go pound sand ;)

It hold 5 rounds!
Very cool.
Having been on both sides of the Garand purist coin, I feel uniquely qualified to offer them this piece of advice about this conversion,...

"Suck rocks dudes."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads