JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I want to hard chrome my 1911, but the guy at alison and carrie said that hard chroming adds more material and that the firearm will not fit back together ??? If I do go hard chrome I'll most likely go to hard chrome inc in estacada so my only fear is I'll spend the money get the pistol back and the parts won't fit back together

I don't know about a 1911 but he did a Glock 19 slide and it worked good.
I can't remember the guys name at Hard Chrome but he seem cool ask him he's a gun nut and he will tell you what to expect hard chromeing a 1911.

I had a Kimber raptor hard chromed in Estacada. Very nice work and the price was about half of what I thought it would be. The gun was a good/fair shooter before the chrome. When I got it back I had to lap the slide to the frame. Very easy to do. Took about 30 min. After the lap the frame/slide play was gone. Group size are now half of what they were. It looks great too.

so john your saying your pistol shoots better now that it's hard chromed

Yes. No question. But the question would be why. It is my belief, that the extra amount that it added to all surfaces, took all of the play out of the pistol. Same play as the very high end 1911s. Kind of like doing a bedding job on a rifle stock. Just lap the slide/frame the same way they do the high end pistols.

How do you go about lapping the slide to the frame when they won't even start together?

You put a little compound on the frame and rail. I never said that my 1911 would not start together. My pistol did start about 1/8 inch. Lap the slide/frame to the point that it passed over each other. Then oiled and shot 200 rounds. Perfect. The person that does the hard chrome is a gun guy. He knows what he is doing. His personal 100% hard chrome AK is unbelievable.

Guys, you can buy this:
<broken link removed>
It comes in hard chrome already, I own one and it is a very nice pistol.
Read the list of features, ya can't build one for what this costs. Sell your pistol, take the money and buy one of these.

Jim

NOT a fan of Allison and Carey gun shop: they wouldn't even work on my 'economy" O/U shotgun. The guy acted like he was too good to look at it. Wouldn't trust him a bit.

I felt the same way when I asked them to work on one of my pistols.
It helped me decide to learn how to work on my own firearms and I never went back.
I have a gunsmith in SW Portland that I use for anything that I can't handle, but the turn around time waiting for my gun back seems like an eternity.

I had a standard STI hard chromed through Dawson Precision when I bought it and it has functioned flawlessly. If its done right then I would say it works. If its not well, yes you can have problems. I would ask some people like Dawson or other gunsmiths that offer hard chroming what their opinions are. Reputable gun smiths off it so it must work, they stake their reputation on it.

well just got off the phone with the guy from hard chrome and it's a go I just have to get one of the grip bushings re tapped and have the sights removed then it's off to hard chrome inc for plating

Anyone have any troubles with the wait time at Hard Chrome Inc.? I was told 3 weeks, and I am now nearing 2 months and 1 week with no work done on my gun. I am considering picking it up and going somewhere else, but it costs me $40 to drive to Estecada and back. So unless he does it, I am out nearly $100 just driving back and forth. The people there seemed really great, but this wait is getting ridiculous. He said he did not make money on doing the guns so it kind of took the back burner but this is getting on my nerves! ARRGGHH. If it ever gets done I will post some pics before throwing it back together, but at this point I really cannot recommend their services just based on wait time.:(

NOT a fan of Allison and Carey gunshop: they wouldn't even work on my 'economy" O/U shotgun. The guy acted like he was too good to look at it. Wouldn't trust him a bit.

Sometimes gunsmiths are just too brutally honest. He may not have 1) not had the time; 2) didn't know the issues involved with the shotgun (or perhaps did); 3) didn't feel that the work requested would be worth the cost. Somehow I don't equate brutal honesty with "trust".

I'd worry more about the guy that says "hell yes, I'll do it and you'll have it by this time tomorrow", only to find that 6 months later I'm still waiting or what I got back was crap.

Guys, you can buy this:
<broken link removed>
It comes in hard chrome already, I own one and it is a very nice pistol.
Read the list of features, ya can't build one for what this costs. Sell your pistol, take the money and buy one of these.

Jim

Where are these pistols made and what do they cost?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top