JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been pondering getting the Inline Fabrication set-up (riser, roller arm handle) for one of my presses (Lyman Turbo turret press). The press came to me recently second hand, I'm still playing around with it to see if I like it enough to use it much. It came with three turrets, I've got one set up with 9mm P and .357 die sets. It's across the room on another bench, so I also got one of those LED lights that you can mount on the press and flood the shell holder area with illumination.

One thing I can say about the Lyman Turbo press, I probably won't like it much until I get the riser set up. The ram throw on this press is long. Also, I don't like the relation of the ram to the main tower on the press. Then there's the primer catcher, it has a tall lip on it that is kinda in the way. I take that off when doing anything after case sizing. So some features aren't really very ergonomic, the convenience of the turret feature is about all it has going for it. Oh, and I watch the turret when the ram is full up and in use, there is a bit of movement when the ram goes all the way up. I've read in the past that too much movement of the ram in the press body is bad, gets things out of alignment. But how about a stable ram but with a turret that allows a little movement? Isn't that the same thing?

Well, I've said it before but at one time Lyman was a big name in reloading gear. These days, my feeling is not so much. Their website shows lots of stuff out of stock. My guess is that RCBS, Lee, Hornady and others sell lots more presses than Lyman does these days. Marketing and innovation seem to have left Lyman in the dust. I got the Turbo press in a big estate lot of stuff, decided to keep it and try it out as a turret press, wouldn't have gone out and bought it new.

Back to the riser set-up. I've been dragging my feet on shelling out the money for it. But my birthday is coming up, my wife keeps asking me what I want. I've already mentioned these two things; it doesn't matter if it comes out of the same checkbook. If it's bought as a gift, it serves two purposes. 1. She gets the gift thing out of the way, 2. I get the riser set-up. No pain in that.

In the meantime, I continue to use the (early version) Lee Classic Cast single stage press. This one doesn't need a riser, It has been very comfortable and convenient for me to us. One complaint: The decapped primer slot in the ram is on the side, if you don't hold a finger of it at the moment of decapping, about one out of five shoots out onto the floor. For this problem, you can get improved primer capture devices, I think Inline also deals in these but I don't feel I need to go down that road.

I still have my old RCBS RCII press, it's set up with primer a pocket swaging die in it, doesn't see much use these days. The "O" opening on it is smaller than the Lee Classic Cast, more difficult to seat bullets in .30-06 than the Lee. But it gave good service for over 20 years.

Last Edited:
I have a standing bench that is perfect but I got an ikea high chair and now I can stand or sit depending on the operation or how energetic I am. I also have it in our living room so I can do while being with family.

I've been pondering getting the Inline Fabrication set-up (riser, roller arm handle) for one of my presses (Lyman Turbo turret press). The press came to me recently second hand, I'm still playing around with it to see if I like it enough to use it much. It came with three turrets, I've got one set up with 9mm P and .357 die sets. It's across the room on another bench, so I also got one of those LED lights that you can mount on the press and flood the shell holder area with illumination.

One thing I can say about the Lyman Turbo press, I probably won't like it much until I get the riser set up. The ram throw on this press is long. Also, I don't like the relation of the ram to the main tower on the press. Then there's the primer catcher, it has a tall lip on it that is kinda in the way. I take that off when doing anything after case sizing. So some features aren't really very ergonomic, the convenience of the turret feature is about all it has going for it. Oh, and I watch the turret when the ram is full up and in use, there is a bit of movement when the ram goes all the way up. I've read in the past that too much movement of the ram in the press body is bad, gets things out of alignment. But how about a stable ram but with a turret that allows a little movement? Isn't that the same thing?

Well, I've said it before but at one time Lyman was a big name in reloading gear. These days, my feeling is not so much. Their website shows lots of stuff out of stock. My guess is that RCBS, Lee, Hornady and others sell lots more presses than Lyman does these days. Marketing and innovation seem to have left Lyman in the dust. I got the Turbo press in a big estate lot of stuff, decided to keep it and try it out as a turret press, wouldn't have gone out and bought it new.

Back to the riser set-up. I've been dragging my feet on shelling out the money for it. But my birthday is coming up, my wife keeps asking me what I want. I've already mentioned these two things; it doesn't matter if it comes out of the same checkbook. If it's bought as a gift, it serves two purposes. 1. She gets the gift thing out of the way, 2. I get the riser set-up. No pain in that.

In the meantime, I continue to use the (early version) Lee Classic Cast single stage press. This one doesn't need a riser, It has been very comfortable and convenient for me to us. One complaint: The decapped primer slot in the ram is on the side, if you don't hold a finger of it at the moment of decapping, about one out of five shoots out onto the floor. For this problem, you can get improved primer capture devices, I think Inline also deals in these but I don't feel I need to go down that road.

I still have my old RCBS RCII press, it's set up with primer a pocket swaging die in it, doesn't see much use these days. The "O" opening on it is smaller than the Lee Classic Cast, more difficult to seat bullets in .30-06 than the Lee. But it gave good service for over 20 years.

Turret and progressive presses have some play, but in my experience it doesn't matter, things will float and get into alignment in the end. Lyman is a pretty small player, I rarely hear much about their gear.

Inline makes excellent stuff, I have a bunch of his gear and all of it is worth the money, the quick change plates are excellent.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top