JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the least expensive way to get into handloading 6.5 grendel cartridges? I've never handloaded before and would need to buy the necessary equipment and designate the appropriate space to doing it. I'm only interested in doing the 6.5 grendel at this time and then perhaps expanding into my more commonly used cartridges once I've gained some confidence.
I don't plan to shoot a lot of it but plan to use it to hunt in the future. This is part of why I want to start with the 6.5 Grendel, I don't need a lot of it because it will be a specific-use cartridge and I wont need to make large batches. I'll want to take my time and make sure I'm doing it right.

Any ideas on where I could get into some equipment for relatively inexpensive?

Wow that's really inexpensive! Any idea how long it would take to make a batch of 20 to 30 with a little experience?

~30 minutes once you get your process down. I use one for .30-06, .44 mag, 10mm & 308. Haven't started loading the Grendel yet though.
Is there anything from that site you would recommend to make the process easier? Here are some of the things I found in their manual:
  • Lee Case/Resizing Lubricant
  • Ram Prime or Auto Prime
  • Lee Expanding Die
  • Lee Factory Crimp Die
  • Lee Case Trimmer
  • Primer Pocket Cleaner
  • Lee Zip Trim
  • Lee Safety Powder Scale
  • Lee Value Turret Press
Sorry about all the extra questioning but I hate getting half way into something and thinking "man I should have bought THAT, it would have made the job so much easier"

A scale, dies, and lube is about all you need.

A hand-priming/decapping tool is handy to have though, one less setup and step you have to do on the press.
That's a lot of great information. I'll do some research on a good easy to use, portable scale. I like the idea of being able to do this just about anywhere with a good flat surface.

When I started reloading for 6.5G, my biggest challenge was getting Grendel brass. Since the 6.5G has the same case diameter as the 7.62x39 (SKS or AK), I took the 7.62 cases (large rifle primer case) which were more plentiful, and used my 6.5G die and pressed the case mouth to 6.5G with Hornady case lube. I found it best to drop the press handle slowly until it hit bottom and held it there for a 5-count.

Most of the time range-pickup brass can have the 7.62 case mouth slightly wrinkled. You can coax that case mouth back with a pair of needlenose pliers before resizing each case.

If the case mouth is noticeably creased, I don't mess with it. I just toss it.

Some people also discuss case annealing, but that's a minimum of $200 for an annealing machine. I've done it manually with varied success.

There's also a lot of opinions on cas neck tensioning and many use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Others prefer a taper crimp. Since opinions vary evolen amongst experienced reloaders, sometimes you just have to try it and see what you prefer.

Just remember, you need to focus on what you are doing. Avoid distractions and don't rush it. Even a seemingly minor mistake can cause injury.

Lastly, until you gain enough experience, only use published load data (either online or from reloading books). Don't try and bubba-load it thinking "it's close enough".

Welcome to the science of reloading. It's a very rewarding hobby. 👍😉

It'll take a little more time than it will to blow up your gun and catch shrapnel in the face and hands if you hurry through it and mess up your powder charge….

;)
I'm going to wear the helmet shown in my avatar ^^ to make sure if that happens I keep my face. :)

When I started reloading for 6.5G, my biggest challenge was getting Grendel brass. Since the 6.5G has the same case diameter as the 7.62x39 (SKS or AK), I took the 7.62 cases (large rifle primer case) which were more plentiful, and used my 6.5G die and pressed the case mouth to 6.5G with Hornady case lube. I found it best to drop the press handle slowly until it hit bottom and held it there for a 5-count.

Most of the time range-pickup brass can have the 7.62 case mouth slightly wrinkled. You can coax that case mouth back with a pair of needlenose pliers before resizing each case.

If the case mouth is noticeably creased, I don't mess with it. I just toss it.

Some people also discuss case annealing, but that's a minimum of $200 for an annealing machine. I've done it manually with varied success.

There's also a lot of opinions on cas neck tensioning and many use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Others prefer a taper crimp. Since opinions vary evolen amongst experienced reloaders, sometimes you just have to try it and see what you prefer.

Just remember, you need to focus on what you are doing. Avoid distractions and don't rush it. Even a seemingly minor mistake can cause injury.

Lastly, until you gain enough experience, only use published load data (either online or from reloading books). Don't try and bubba-load it thinking "it's close enough".

Welcome to the science of reloading. It's a very rewarding hobby. 👍😉
I tend to be pretty OCD about things, especially gun related. Assembling ARs over the years has given me something to dive into with that obsessive amount of detail. I'm always Mr. Play it Safe, so if I'm in doubt, I don't risk it.

Portability wasn't mentioned in the OP, just the requirement for dedicated space. With that in mind, I think I'd find one of basic Lee aluminum presses that you can mount anywhere, rather than the hand held press. It's just a lot easier to use. Like this one $180:

The bench-mount press that this kit comes with isn't their base model, it's a step up.

This outfit doesn't include the die set, that's another $37. Also, the special case trimming set for 6.5 Grendel isn't included, another $7. It has everything else you'd need to get going and has a lot of stuff that doesn't come with the Hand Press Kit.

I reload for the Grendel specifically small batches for AR hunting deer.
Ive never used the Lee hand press, but can it produce precision accuracy for hunting out to ranges typical for the Grendel? Theres more to producing accurate ammo than just resizing and recharging brass.

I use a simple single stage RCBS Rebel press. I would get an RCBS kit that comes with everything you need to get started, around $500 and you will be set up with equipment that will last a lifetime (and ready for other cartridges with just a die purchase) that will produce consistent accuracy you need for hunting.

I reload for the Grendel specifically small batches for AR hunting deer.
Ive never used the Lee hand press, but can it produce precision accuracy for hunting out to ranges typical for the Grendel? Theres more to producing accurate ammo than just resizing and recharging brass.
My aught-six loads consistently ring an 8" plate @ 300-400 yards. That's good enough for minute of elk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top