Handloading - Sitting or Standing?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by gmerkt, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gmerkt

gmerkt
    w. Wash.

When my cousin first got me into handloading decades ago, I started out doing it standing. Over the years, I've tried doing it in the sitting position a few different times, never worked for me. I've tried chairs and stools of different heights. Even adopted a lower bench for experimental purposes. When I'm sitting, it seems that my movements are more restricted. Standing, I have more freedom of movement.

Before I retired, I worked at a place where "sit down jobs" were rare and highly coveted. And down through the years, management did everything they could to do away with as many sit down jobs as possible. They had an institutional belief that sitting tended to make people more comfortable and less productive. So after all that standing in my working life, you'd think I'd go for sitting at the loading bench. Hasn't worked for me yet.

I've found that different presses work at different heights. Some have a longer ram, that's great for longer rifle cartridges. But usually a longer ram means long throw of the lever. In my case, I'm taller and a long throw on a press lever might mean that I have to dip down to move the lever to full bottom travel (or full ram height, your pick). One answer is to get one of those press risers that are made to raise up the whole press about nine inches. Puts your work more at eye level, raises the press action.

How about you, sitting or standing?

2. Eveskcige28

Eveskcige28
    Rochester wa
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I started out sitting for a lack of a taller bench and have stick with it. I don't doubt standing would be more effective/efficient. But I reload as a relaxing hobby so sitting at a desk works for now!

Alan12013, Certaindeaf and Mikej like this.
  3. Deavis

Deavis
    Mid Willamette Valley

Lefty60 likes this.
  4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Being the man of steel that I am (the rust stains on my underwear prove this) I am able to easily operate the press seated.

5. Mistman

Mistman
    Mist, Or
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Sitting

6. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

started out standing but then I was 11. When I took it up on my own I went with a stool and 40 years later I still sit on a stool while reloading for those processes that allow it.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired
    Saint Helens

Both, depending on how the back feels and what I am doing. There is usually never a purely definitive answer to a question like this.

Lefty60, Tully Mars and Caveman Jim like this.
  8. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun

sitting works fine for me

9. oli700

oli700
    Rogue Valley

I’m a stander , have all my benches standing hight .

10. techiej

techiej
    vancouver, wa

Have never been able to do it sitting - I use a progressive press and like to check each case for powder visually (yes I use a powder check/cop as well) before seating a bullet.

The only time I can sit is if I'm only depriming on the press.

Tried various heights and an adjustable chair, shorter press arm, etc.

Getting older I will eventually end up sitting and rigging up some sort of camera to see inside of the cases from a seated position.

Lefty60 and Mikej like this.
  11. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

Both sitting and standing. The key is to have the proper height set up for the one you're doing.

Lefty60 likes this.
  12. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun

My loading bench is 29" high, I can see into the cases fine on the 650 from sitting position. By coincidence perhaps, I have long noted my group size at the range is smaller when shot from sitting position rather than standing as well.

Various arguments sometimes are based on my own experience/observations versus someone else who has their own opinion.

For reloading as in any other hobby, I think awareness of the performance/results aspect of the action helps improve the process. And we can not ignore the "YMMV"

Lefty60 likes this.
  13. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

For me, it all depends on just what I'm doing. I have been known to sit in front of the "Tube" in my recliner and seat primers with my Lee priming tool. If I'm putting powder in cases then I'll do it standing in front of the powder measure. No progressive press since I stopped loading for the SO on their Auto-Load electric/hydraulic machine which turned out about 2-3K per hour.:(:(:(

I like seeing what I'm doing and visually check each case for powder.:):):)

Lefty60 likes this.
  14. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....
    Kokanee Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Same here, my back drives my decision to stand or sit.;)

DizzyJ, Slobray, 41mag and 2 others like this.
  15. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Sitting for me. I'm using an old, maybe '50s, two-student school desk, loading single stage. In this small bedroom, more like nursery size, I have my computer desk on one side and loading table on the other. I roll and turn to one or the other in the chair. I stand/walk enough when I'm working. I do have to get up and stretch, step out side, once in a while though if I'm sitting for more than a couple of hours.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. thorborg

thorborg
    portland oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Sitting:
    Albeit I have the luxury of having multiple height work stations,. My presses are on a 41" 4" thick bench bolted to floor and wall on an adjacent wall, come out @ roughly eye height so I pull down while sitting yet if full case size or serious moving of case brass demands more energy I can stand to facilitate that (especially the extraction part). Most all other from paper work to powder throw and case assembly are done @ my desk 31 " high. Exception is balance scale work, I made an extension stand for the 31 inch desk to sit my scale and trickle feed on so the graduations come out at eye level which puts the measuring graduations roughly @ 42 inches. Keeps me from having to hunch over to accurately read the weight which stresses a poor back and neck. Add the smooth wheels of my chair, I can move around pretty good between stations. Polishing, tumbling, bluing, heavy cleaning of things and stock work are done in my small shop while standing.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  17. gmerkt

gmerkt
    w. Wash.

I should have said from the start that priming with a hand tool and checking case length are done sitting. Those are naturals for sitting.

Good responses all, thanks for sharing.

Caveman Jim and KKG like this.
  18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars
    Land of Cotton

Sitting. But like others have said, it all depends on how my back is feeling.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Sitting. It's comfortable and effective. YMMV..

Caveman Jim likes this.
  20. edslhead

edslhead
    Vanc
    Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Silver Supporter

1990's standing, 2018 definitely sitting.