JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is sufficient for me. Bench as a hand support, 10 yards and enough shots. 1" squares with a subcompact pistol. Breaking it in.

IMG_8084.JPG

FWIW, I only use a bag when shooting my Mosin-Nagant at a long range target. For handguns, if that is going to be needed in a self-defense situation, who's going to have time to use a bag???

At any rate, I have a 1911 .38 Super that I have totally loved since purchasing it. I'm also 67 years old and due for cataract surgery very soon. So, that means my eyesight isn't anywhere near what it needs to be in order to do long ... and even ... short target practice. But, this is my most recent result, no rest, at 25 feet...

This is an eight inch target. :)

13590379_10154313310614839_1433331623520080732_n.jpg

Oh! And, talking about my Mosin-Nagant, some time ago my younger son and I made a trip up the outdoor range at Chestnut Mountain near Lafayette, GA. He had added a scope to his M-N and was wanting to get it sighted in.

While he went about taking some shots at 75 yds, I had set my target up at 100 yds. Now, keep in mind, I shoot mine with no scope.

So, after letting him go about his business and seeing if I could help him at all, I finally got around to shooting my own!

My first shot of the day....

1235424_10151999066329839_1949724925_n.jpg

I turned to him and said, "I quit!" :)

One of my Dad's cousins was a great shot with a revolver. She would shoot sticks of blackboard chalk at 7 yards with her 6 inch barrel Colt Officers Model .22 LR back in the late 1930's and early 1940's, and rarely missed.

She could even shoot her revolver holding it upside down, and hit a clay pigeon at 25 yards virtually every time.

All shots taken offhand using just one hand. No support at all.

If she was still alive today, I'm sure that she could outshoot any member of this website. She was one of the best slow fire pistol shots of her day.

Last Edited:
Some people are really really good at offhand shooting. It's practical and you don't need any "props" to do it. However, in a "gunfight", the first thing you don't want is to get shot.. so take cover (if you can). The world is full of this "cover" thing. Then guess what, you now generally have a solid platform from which to shoot.. generally called "barricade" shooting or the barricade position. It can be very, very accurate.
If I'm out in the field and want to make the most accurate shot I can (generally at long range) I'll use a supported position of a fallen or standing tree etc. and of nothing is available, a good butt on bone (kinda) sitting position works pretty darn good.

I dunno about micro groups and the like, but what I do know is I shot a bowling pin match and a dueling tree event yesterday with 4 different pistols and won both events. That's accurate enough for me.

I dunno about micro groups and the like, but what I do know is I shot a bowling pin match and a dueling tree event yesterday with 4 different pistols and won both events. That's accurate enough for me.
Laurels. Don't rest on them. Did you shoot against granny Clampett or Festus?
lol

Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick about anything about lead hitting paper or speed or anything.
Pistols.. just carry your precious rifle so you don't gotta fight to it. yea, that's it

Laurels. Don't rest on them. Did you shoot against granny Clampett or Festus?
lol
Rest on my Laurels, hardly.... this is the third Pin match I've won in a row. What I do is practice. Original posted question was something like what are your handgun accuracy standards, I think my answer would be to hit whatever I shoot at every time. I know my guns are capable of that, it's me that causes the misses.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick about anything about lead hitting paper or speed or anything.

Pretty sure you meant to be a dick :D

Standing, 20 yards, 8 out 10 hitting an 8" gong and I'm happy.

With a rest, few loads have the rounds touching each other. Usually more like 1 1/2 - 2". And that's with a scope, opens sights I'm almost better sanding :confused:

Last Edited:
Pretty sure you meant to be a dick :D

Standing, 20 yards, 8 out 10 hitting an 8" gong and I'm happy.

With a rest, few have the rounds touching each other. Usually more like 1 1/2 - 2". And that's with a scope, opens sights I'm almost better sanding :confused:
I'm the best dick ever! No elaboration needed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top