JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some people have shot hundreds of thousands of rounds competing in PPC (DA revolver shooting, shot DA). Some people know how to hit a small thing - and how to make a single ragged "hole" group with a buncha rounds- out to fifty yards in that particular game. no big deal

Most of the accuracy claims are made from "bagged" rests...I can only imaging that on a ransom they would more than likely improve

Of course, everyone breaths, they're heart beats, they twitch, get full bladders, fart and have stomach gas! The, breathing control, sight picture, trigger control and attempting to slow ones heart are all an effort to control our wiggly azzezs! Some days are better than others! :D

Of course, everyone breaths, they're heart beats, they twitch, get full bladders, fart and have stomach gas! The, breathing control, sight picture, trigger control and attempting to slow ones heart are all an effort to control our wiggly azzezs! Some days are better than others! :D
Totally agree I have days on the range that were nothing short of embarrassing and others that made me feel like I couldn't miss if I were blindfolded.

All of my pistols, meet or exceed WDIH federal Gov standards for accuracy, at all distances:D

IMG_0532_zpspp6ouvqs.jpg

The mark of a quality firearm for me has always been the ability to group and stay in the center black at 25 yards on multiple targets with combat reloads. if I cant do that with a handgun, and fixing the sights doesn't help, I don't generally keep that handgun.

The handgun may be fine in someone else's hands, but it doesn't work for me for what ever reason, grip, weight, balance, ergonomics.

I have fired very few modern handguns that cant keep in the black at 25 yards with sights that work or a little Kentucky windage ;).

I can hit what I aim at..I shot marksman with the 1911, Beretta 92 and the Sig 226. Shooting standing up is great and all but I was surprised how much more accurate some of my handguns were than others. The point of was trying to make was ...it's not to see how good you are...it's to see how good the gun is

My personal Standards are simply to sight in (zero) my CC pistol at 25 yards to insure my sights are aligned just the way I want them! I also need to see how the pistol handles the ammo I will be running! It's never hurts to see how far the Pistol/ammo combo can be counted on for those one in a million shot's we hear about once in a while! From there, I know where I should be, and it's up to me to get as close to that as I can! So............I use a rest for the zero and then all shooting is done off hand! Most every pistol I own is perfectly capable of meeting those requirements, and the rare one that doesn't go's down the road!

I grew up with these standards in pistol qualifications, as such I suppose they became a benchmark on what I needed to do to be effective with any handgun as well as the proving ground for new (to me) handguns. I also found the qualification series to be an excellent test of a handguns abilities and its fit for *ME* on a base level.

25 yds – 15 rds slow fire (10 min.)

7 yds – quick reaction drills (1 shot in 3 seconds, pistol is pointed down at a 45 degree angle, not in holster) 5 of these, each shot is double action.

7 yds – quick reaction drills (2 shots in 5 seconds, pistol is not holstered, pointed down at 45 degrees) 4 of these for eight total shots.

15 yds – magazine change/sustained fire (3 shots from first mag, 3 shots from the second mag, all in 20 seconds) two of these for 12 total shots.

40 shots and 400 possible points. Use a standard NRA 50-yd pistol target.

345-expert

330-sharpshooter

290-marksman (minimum)

All that being said, I will definitely try shooting supported with a handgun soon. It will be interesting to see how my herd stacks up against each other when I remove all my bad habits.

I grew up with these standards in pistol qualifications, as such I suppose they became a benchmark on what I needed to do to be effective with any handgun as well as the proving ground for new (to me) handguns. I also found the qualification series to be an excellent test of a handguns abilities and its fit for *ME* on a base level.

25 yds – 15 rds slow fire (10 min.)

7 yds – quick reaction drills (1 shot in 3 seconds, pistol is pointed down at a 45 degree angle, not in holster) 5 of these, each shot is double action.

7 yds – quick reaction drills (2 shots in 5 seconds, pistol is not holstered, pointed down at 45 degrees) 4 of these for eight total shots.

15 yds – magazine change/sustained fire (3 shots from first mag, 3 shots from the second mag, all in 20 seconds) two of these for 12 total shots.

40 shots and 400 possible points. Use a standard NRA 50-yd pistol target.

345-expert

330-sharpshooter

290-marksman (minimum)

All that being said, I will definitely try shooting supported with a handgun soon. It will be interesting to see how my herd stacks up against each other when I remove all my bad habits.
You are now the NWFA handgun god
:s0001::s0052::s0094::s0062:

Yeah, I don't mind a little dick wagging now and then, but I was wondering more about mechanical accuracy of the gun than anything - when people figure they have a reasonably accurate gun, and what it has to be capable of (under ideal shooting conditions) to be called that. I'd ask about Ransom Rests, but I figure not many have something like that. I sure don't.

Accuracy under realistic defensive scenarios is another subject altogether.

So does this mean that you are talking about a defensive handgun, and not one meant for hunting? Your first posts were quite vague about what sort of application you are talking about.

Are you more interested in pistols that are compact and easy to carry, or a typical full size type pistol??

The only people who become good enough shots with a handgun to be able to truly take advantage of a gun's accuracy are individuals who spend an incredible amount of time and money practicing.

As Joe13 mentioned, what accuracy you get in normal shooting is really going to be more up to you, than your handgun.

You are now the NWFA handgun god
:s0001::s0052::s0094::s0062:

If I came off that way I apologize. That wasn't my intent. My intent was to point out my opinion on standards of accuracy and what I use to determine if a handgun is "accurate" enough for me.

On the flip side,

Don't be mad at me if you cant pass basic Marine Corps pistol qualification standards, I didn't create the standard. If we are being honest, they aren't even really that stringent. Its not hard to achieve and maintain expert badges in both rifle and pistol in the Marine Corps.

I can hit what I aim at..I shot marksman with the 1911, Beretta 92 and the Sig 226. Shooting standing up is great and all but I was surprised how much more accurate some of my handguns were than others. The point of was trying to make was ...it's not to see how good you are...it's to see how good the gun is

Decent point but when you get to an unsupported place and are shooting - if you don't shoot the gun well, it doesn't mater if it shoots like a laser beam or not.

Some guns work with my shooting style and some don't.

I'll use bags sometimes to zero sights but that about it for handguns.

Decent point but when you get to an unsupported place and are shooting - if you don't shoot the gun well, it doesn't mater if it shoots like a laser beam or not.

Some guns work with my shooting style and some don't.

I'll use bags sometimes to zero sights but that about it for handguns.
I shoot from the bag when I want to impress myself....lol.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top