JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one of those old Swiss Cowbells that was left behind when I bought the house here, and I have it hanging at about 100 yards! If I can hit that and make it ring, i'm pretty good with that, it's about the size of a persons torso, so center mass hits at that range should be pretty easy if I ever had to shoot that far!

For me 15 to 20 FEET it had better shoot one hole on the bench.
To 20 to 25 yards I am excepting of 2 in group if I have a small flyer other two.

Don't shoot much past those distances.
I will say that with all of mine ..1911 included...I enjoy ringing the steel at 100 yards just for playing of course.
The 1911 is rainbow trajectory that far but it's fun to do and I always get looks when I do it.

I strive for 1" at 25 yds, rested, with my handloads for my semi-autos. I'll settle for 1.5 to 1.8, rested, with 2 leaving me thinking about my oal, seating depth, case length, temperature, site picture, grip, trigger control, etc. Sometimes I leave the range pleased but most days I leave with more questions. Other days I should have stayed home and done "honey do's". Off-hand, I think 3.5 to 4" at 25 yards is good to go.

Seven to ten yards from a rest? I agree with Joe. A quarter should cover the hole.

Edit: I discount the flyers by attributing them to issues associated with age, or whatever excuse I can use to get people to believe.

Last Edited:
Sounds like combat shooting.....doesn't need to be super accurate. A pie plate is center mass size ...quick succession shots in center mass at cqb ranged are normal
Yea I know about "combat shooting" a handgun. I thought I heard some lazy/dismissive talk there though.
The thread is "Handgun accuracy standards".
In "combat", I'll grab you by the collar, hold you close and send a couple through your spine (as anyone else would).. but it's nice to be able to send one through your grape at a hundred.
yards

Last Edited:
At 25' with a rest... All in one hole... Or dang close.

Standing without support is all on the shooter.

From a rest and bags, 1" is not unbelievable at 25 yards IMO.

Eye sight and trigger control could hinder that though.

I'm in total agreement with Joe. I'm not a pistol shooter, but do have pistols that will group at an inch at 25 yards from a rest. Shooting at 25 feet from a rest is a waste of ammo IMHO.

I'm in total agreement with Joe. I'm not a pistol shooter, but do have pistols that will group at an inch at 25 yards from a rest. Shooting at 25 feet from a rest is a waste of ammo IMHO.
It's pretty hard to "waste" ammo on the range.
I'm all for retention shooting to sniping whatnot out far, but I think it's silly to only do or think one thing.
It seems that many think that a handgun is only for emptying quickly with a prayer at six feet.
Only hits matter.
No matter the range.

A hand gun to me has always been a last resort sort of deal, Ideally, It allows me to buy time to get to my long gun, but more then likely it would be my only means of self defense, there fore, I spend a lot of time practicing to improve my chances of surviving what ever comes my way! So...........Hand gun skills and accuracy should be a concern, but with in reason; What can I reasonably expect from my gun, and how accurate can I be when seconds count, and I may only get ONE shot! If I follow the shooting drills I learned when in the service, I can expect to hit about 40% of the time while firing the gun empty! If I get a reload, can I be fast enough to bring the fight back to the tango? and can I count on another 40% of my rounds hitting any thing? There is no hard and fast answer to any of these questions, So taking the time to drill while trying for accuracy while moving is the most bestest way to train your self, and keeping with the ONE gun you feel confident with enough to accomplish that goal!

It's pretty hard to "waste" ammo on the range.
I'm all for retention shooting to sniping whatnot out far, but I think it's silly to only do or think one thing.
It seems that many think that a handgun is only for emptying quickly with a prayer at six feet.
Only hits matter.
No matter the range.

It's pretty easy to "waste" ammo on the range. I wouldn't shoot from a rest at 25 feet with anything, including a pistol. I have better things to do with my time. Seems you may need more practice. Even when we shoot bowling pins from the tables, it's more than 25 feet away and it's not from a rested position. I understand there are different levels of skill: Or lack there of. Carry on..;)

Could be but then I know what my gun will do.
I know if I have to improve at something.
And it's more fun than shooting at ,haha ,7 yards.
If I can't hit shyt at 10 yards I'll start carrying my shot gun around.
Expand your horizons ,don't call it a waist of time cause you ain't no good out past 10 yards:rolleyes:
:D

It's pretty easy to "waste" ammo on the range. I wouldn't shoot from a rest at 25 feet with anything, including a pistol. I have better things to do with my time. Seems you may need more practice. Even when we shoot bowling pins from the tables, it's more than 25 feet away and it's not from a rested position. I understand there are different levels of skill: Or lack there of. Carry on..;)
I hear you. I think I was talking to someone else that was mouthing about how handguns are only for close quarters.. in this thread about handgun accuracy standards.
Please tell us more insulting things pray tell.

Wow! You guys are the cream!
1-2" at 25yds, benched, is from my old days with 6" revolvers and nice sights! Also, me without twitches and young eyes.
'Course, I often carried 6" .357's back then! Just not in town.
Another practice I used to judge me/pistol is an 8" gong hung at 90yrds on the pistol range at my old gun club! I shot it standing with the back of my hand braced against a roof post. I reasoned that if a BG grabbed my wife, 8" at 90ft minus, was his head! You are not taking her away from here!!!
Worked fine with the tuned, Colt Officers Mdl that I carried then! Today probably not!:(
Ahhhhh......I just need to practice more so's I can shoot like you fellows! I'd sure be proud to.

WHOA! GUYS, THATS FEET! NOT 90YARDS, 90 FEET! SHEESH!!!:oops:

Last Edited:
Wow! You guys are the cream!
1-2" at 25yds, benched, is from my old days with 6" revolvers and nice sights! Also, me without twitches and young eyes.
'Course, I often carried 6" .357's back then! Just not in town.
Another practice I used to judge me/pistol is an 8" gong hung at 90yrds on the pistol range at my old gun club! I shot it standing with the back of my hand braced against a roof post. I reasoned that if a BG grabbed my wife, 8" at 90yds, minus, was his head! You are not taking her away from here!!!
Worked fine with the tuned, Colt Officers Mdl that I carried then! Today probably not!:(
Ahhhhh......I just need to practice more so's I can shoot like you fellows! I'd sure be proud to.
I have never been much for rifle shooting, always handguns...I can shoot a rifle but prefer pistols. There is something about the handgun that has always fascinated me. Over the course of the last 20 years I have shot a couple hundred thousand rounds. That's alot of practice lol...

I am just the opposite of most of you guys, I actually had to learn and work really hard to be any good with a pistol, I had to qualify two times before I made it through, and my entire future was at stake then! SO..........Pistol craft for me has been a never ending battle trying to get better and better! I feel pretty good about where I am today all tings considered, But I bet I spend several thousand more rounds to get there! Now Rifle, That's an entirely different subject, To say I am good, while...................will just leave it right there!

I don't think anyone's bragging, but some people have been shooting for a long time and some have more natural talent at it then others - practice mitigates a lot of that but it's hard to beat regular shooting instruction from an age like 4.

I target shoot, train reloads and moving when not at a proper range or one that allows it because it all ties in together.

If I can figure out and tighten my groups target shooting then my accuracy on moving drills also goes up.

When I dry practice I look at a point and bring my pistol up with closed eyes then open them and the sights are dead on so I generally shoot 25'+ unless it's a new gun or I'm having issues and need to retrain a skill.

Indeed. I don't think this a dick wagging thread at all. I thought someone asked a simple question.. you can see it in the original post.
anyway, it's how it ever was

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads