JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if perhaps a better question might be: What level of accuracy with an average handgun can the average guy aspire to with a moderate amount of practice?

I remember a thread like this on another forum, that kind of went the wrong direction. One guy in particular insisted that most quality guns can shoot like lasers if you only just know how to do it, and that 1" at 100 yards is doable, or something like that. Turns out he was a serious competitor for decades with all kinds of trophies.

Interesting to know it can be done by someone with serious talent, technique, and practice, but I'm more interested in what I can do. I really don't have the time, money, or natural talent to get that good or even close to is. I'm not a competitor or a hunter, so if I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards from sandbags I'm happy. I always like to practice to improve when I can, but in the meantime that's good enough for me.

From what I've seen, for the average person with an average pistol/revolver, 3" or 4" groups at 75 feet is really not bad at all.

Most of us I'm sure can hit a 12 in by 12 in target at 100 yrds, with production ammo from what handgun we use the most. That is accurate enough to give someone a really bad day.

Well it is a little caliber dependent too, 380 out of a pocket pistol is hard to get good hits at 25 yards, out of a longer barreled gun like a Beretta 87 or a Browning BDA things look better My 3.3 inch barrel on my Springfield XD Mod 2 45 does very well in closer but at 25 yards off hand I think I'm at 6". I move to my Glock 29 and it gets a little better close to 4" which I attribute to the 10 MM more than any other factor. The 10 MM doesn't seem to forget where I was aiming as much as 45's do.
I recently bought a pocket gun (Glock 33) in 357 Sig and I have yet to shoot it. I am going to use my 40 S&W barrel for the first 300 rounds or so and the indoor range I use will only go to 11 yards so it would really be 'Apples to Oranges' until I can get to a outdoors place and try it at 25 with the 357 sig. I am hopeful that it will be as flat shooting as the 10MM. I got it as it fits in my pocket where the 29 as well as my XD Mo2 45 are just too big for the pocket.

So... for me,I just try it out. Kinda like that rock out there is all smug thinking you can't hit me you bad shooter.
I have a back stop,I'll give it a try. Hopefully it's a little dry so I can see my hits.
Just to see what's what.
I'm just sayin,try it out. You may be really impressed with your carry gun.
" No brag, just fact"
Haha,where's that from? ( I sure can't remember the show name)

So... for me,I just try it out. Kinda like that rock out there is all smug thinking you can't hit me you bad shooter.
I have a back stop,I'll give it a try. Hopefully it's a little dry so I can see my hits.
Just to see what's what.
" No brag, just fact"
The guns of Will Sonnett

Just to see what's what.
" No brag, just fact"
I shoot sage rats with my cc gun.

Yeah, I don't mind a little dick wagging now and then, but I was wondering more about mechanical accuracy of the gun than anything - when people figure they have a reasonably accurate gun, and what it has to be capable of (under ideal shooting conditions) to be called that. I'd ask about Ransom Rests, but I figure not many have something like that. I sure don't.

Accuracy under realistic defensive scenarios is another subject altogether.

Yeah, I don't mind a little dick wagging now and then, but I was wondering more about mechanical accuracy of the gun than anything - when people figure they have a reasonably accurate gun, and what it has to be capable of (under ideal shooting conditions) to be called that. I'd ask about Ransom Rests, but I figure not many have something like that. I sure don't.

Accuracy under realistic defensive scenarios is another subject altogether.
Most of the accuracy claims are made from "bagged" rests...I can only imaging that on a ransom they would more than likely improve

So how do we carry a concealed ransom rest around so that we can get the maximum accuracy from our side arms every time? LOL. Prolly like everyone else here my firearms can shoot mechanically better than me. No big deal. Still fun always working to be a consistently better shot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top