JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I threw my last CB in the trash after so many guys with illegal high-watt rigs would talk right over the top of you and cuss and talk tough. It became a zoo instead of actual communication. Ham's actually communicate and use manners. I know, strange thought these days.

My plan is to eventually have a multi-mode, multi-band base (and maybe mobile) rig that I can use for ten meter also. I normally wouldn't want to use 10 meter, but I think in a SHTF situation, there would still be enough CB rigs out there (they are cheap and a lot of people still have/use them) that at the very least listening in on the chatter could possibly yield important info about local situations.

I do have several CB rigs sitting in storage - large HTs that are meant for emergency mobile comms in vehicles - that could be used, but it would be better to have a good quality rig with a good quality antenna and some real power behind it.

I have about 4 CB rigs around. Might have an amp too. In a total breakdown STHF it would be good to know what some of the less prepared and more violence prone types. Might be even able to jam them with the right set up. In a smaller SHTF scenario like natural disasters, having these programable VHF UHF units is going to be how people who matter will communicate. There are some groups up in Idaho NE Washington that have these VHF things down pretty good, as well as sat comms as well. These are some very smart and prepared people. I have a friend up there and we want to be able to communicate on HF.

So in re-reading the thread here's some skinny...

APRS - The easiest way to get into this is with one of the dedicated devices that do it, there are APRS trackers out there that are all-in-one, with built in radio, gps and tracker, they go for about $100 and transmit at 2W at 144.390 (the common digi-peter frequency). Personally, I think APRS is largely a vanity thing, there are some good applications for it in terms of tracking things like balloons, rockets, etc, but for "in my car use" it's a level of information I'm not really looking to share.

The easiest way to get into APRS is with something like the OpenTracker+ (I think they're on like version 3 or something) which you can either plug a computer in, and use it as a KISS modem, or you can set it up and plug a GPS into it, and a radio into the other side and foom it's a finished ready to use APRS tracker. I've looked at a number of different APRS trackers, the OT+ seems to have the best features, lowest cost and greatest flexibility. The best part about it is that you can use it for decoding APRS messages, and with a computer attached, you can use it to take advantage of some of the other features of APRS like messaging that are otherwise unavailable.

Digital Modes (HF) - as far as I'm concerned for talking long distance, this is a must-have. PSK31, Olivia, MT63 and a whole host of other modes are available as software implementations via FLDIGI, my "HF rig" is pretty basic (10m single band-all mode) so these modes work great for it. If you want to get fancier using newer radios with rig-cat you can use PC-ALE, which if you're familiar with military ALE networks this is a a huge advantage.

As to licensed and unlicensed operation - frankly, if someone is being polite and not causing problems zero-f's given. You got the echo mic and it sounds like the adults from the peanuts cartoons talking, I'm not going to talk to you, and if you show up on repeaters I'm on, I will find you and burn your house down.

Generally, I haven't been using the radio all that much lately. I should do something about that.

There are two Ham swap meets each year at the Polk County Fairgrounds in Rickreall 97371. One in February and the one in October called Swaptoberfest. Very interesting to see equipment from WWII to the latest displayed by HRO. 503 623 3048 for more info if you are interested.

There are two Ham swap meets each year at the Polk County Fairgrounds in Rickreall 97371. One in February and the one in October called Swaptoberfest. Very interesting to see equipment from WWII to the latest displayed by HRO. 503 623 3048 for more info if you are interested.

Also, Seaside, OR hosts SEAPAC every year around June. It's pretty large -- 2,300 attendees last year. It's June 5-7 this year.

I played with SDR a bit (using the R820T2). My computer is running linux and (as usual) the software packages for that are less common than Windows for some reason - it strikes me as strange that ham types would put up with Windows, but there it is. I installed the Gqrx software on my machine and got that working, then discovered an updated version was available so I did the update and it stopped working. Then I put the thing in a box for a rainy day. (sigh)

'Tis the time of year:

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Dual-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1448999756&sr=8-3&keywords=UV-5R

My buddy with the HAM bug suggests that for a few dollars more, you can get radios which are water resistant and/or more resilient than these entry level ones. Radios you could drop in a GHB, or even in your day pack when you are out hunting / fishing / hiking etc.

I have a number (Like 6-7) of the UV-5R's. They have a newer, and more robust model out now.
http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-82...?ie=UTF8&qid=1449002385&sr=8-1&keywords=uv-82

This one has been rock solid, whereas the UV-5R has had antenna wiring issues where it just broke inside. (On 2 of mine so far). They engineered around that issue, and provided a much more professional looking radio, with a considerably better stock antenna, and cheaper!

I have been away from this forum for a very long time, but during that time I earned my technician general amateur radio license.

For my first rig I avoided the cheap HTs, but instead for a no-nonsense VHF mobile rig. The Yaesu FT2900r is very tough, big display and easier to operate. Once I got comfortable building antennas, talking with folks on the repeaters, etc. I bought a couple Baofeng UV5rs. One was DOA with a bad mic, but I returned for a good one. I would have gone nuts thinking I was doing something wrong if my first radio had that busted mic.

Imagine teaching a new shooter with an unreliable gun - you probably wouldn't recommend it.

I view the chinese HTs like dollar store flashlights. They are cheap enough we all should have a couple, and keep them in our kits. They have an important place, but there's way more to the hobby.

For HF I setup a modest station. At the Puyallup hamfest last year I got an IC-737 for $275. The audio filters are a bit lacking, but it's got 100watts, and I mainly run digital modes using a USB signalink. In addition to casual QSOs over PSK31, I volunteer with my city emcomm team and we regularly use RMS Express and Winmor to send email over HF.

All my base station antennas are home brew. For VHF/UHF I am a big fan of jpoles. I have built both the copper cactus style as well as 450ohm ladder line. For HF I prefer resonant wire dipoles where I can use them.

I could keep going with all the wonderful stuff I've learned in the last 18 months, but that'd hijack the thread.

If folks have any questions on setting up rig control or wiring up a signalink link with an older (early 1990s) rig, I'm happy to share my notes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top