JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ham License Tests on 16 April, 2018.

7 PM at Willamette University's
Eaton Hall, Rm 106. Doors open @ 6:30 PM.

$5.00 tests; nice people!

Parking on State Street is free after 6PM; Eaton Hall is adjacent to the rose garden, which is right behind the capitol building.

Bring a flashlight for your trek back to your car.

Salem, Oregon VE Sessions

New question pool in July; gitter done!

I saw this comment in an email thread for a ham group. It hadn't occurred to me. FYI.

In order to avoid crushing the coax, rather than zip ties, some appropriately sized cushioned P-clamps would probably be a better choice for securing it. Wherever the coax is no longer "coaxial," you'll have discontinuities in impedance which will negatively impact performance.

I saw this comment in an email thread for a ham group. It hadn't occurred to me. FYI.

In order to avoid crushing the coax, rather than zip ties, some appropriately sized cushioned P-clamps would probably be a better choice for securing it. Wherever the coax is no longer "coaxial," you'll have discontinuities in impedance which will negatively impact performance.

I use these

7BE76E2D-60A6-456E-8197-CDB6BA97F8EB.jpeg

Attached is a screen shot of ARRL's May 2018 magazine (page 20). This fellow takes a simple, portable setup with him, hikes in three miles to a cabin in Montana, and from there is able to communicate out to Denver, Hawaii, and more.

I mention this since much can be accomplished with a simple setup in a low-power configuration (aka QRP). It just takes a bit of research and understanding, and then practice.

Click on the pic and (hopefully) the text will be enlarged and readable.

ARRL Magazine May 2018 page 20.png

Attached is a screen shot of ARRL's May 2018 magazine (page 20). This fellow takes a simple, portable setup with him, hikes in three miles to a cabin in Montana, and from there is able to communicate out to Denver, Hawaii, and more.

I mention this since much can be accomplished with a simple setup in a low-power configuration (aka QRP). It just takes a bit of research and understanding, and then practice.

View attachment 447733

Didn't make it readable, so I just cut and pasted into paint. Well worth the read.

Started testing a new 7 band Windom offset antenna yesterday. So far, it has a very low SWR (2:1 or better) on 17, 20, 40, & 80.

It's an "OCF 80-6HD" from Ni4L antennas out of North Carolina; $116.00 shipped USPS priority.

RX on some 80 meters freqs can be like the Jerry Springer Show...very entertaining.

The antenna is nearly invisible.

^
Talked to a local on 40m yesterday; he was running an mobile 891 with ham sticks for antennas; I do not yet know what ham sticks look like, but he had a good short-skip signal.

IMHO, QRP (and crappy band conditions) offers a richer learning environment than booming with 1500w amps, auto-tuners, and giant beam antennas with rotating motors..
But, if I had the money; I'd be booming too...

View attachment 447733

Ya know I wondered where Marconi disappeared to and he looks younger than i would have imagined, hummm!

Made comms with Ontario Canada on 20m today; bands are crappy.

100w solar panels have no problem keeping up with HF (TX/RX) on a day like today.

I helped out on a tower project yesterday; gopher on the ground; rigging and keeping things C.N.&O.

IMG_20180421_120648620_HDR.jpg
Lead climber is in his late 60s. Tower is 85' at the top....8 hours of work.

I learned a lot.

Just passed my technician test- pretty easy and only $15. Waiting... as long as two weeks for my name and new callsign to show up in the FCC database (can't xmit without that!). But I bought a new radio, a Yaesu, and I've programmed in the local repeaters, and I'm just spinning and grinning and listening.

Was very easy to study for technician exam. I already knew a little bit; I was a 98G in the Army, so I knew a bit about radio wave propagation and radio operation. I bought the iPhone app "Ham Test Prep: Technician" for $4.99. That really worked for me. Gives you random tests of 35 random questions (same as real test, same questions). Then I took the test over and over and over until I was consistently passing (27 and above to pass). It took eight tries before I passed the first time, then the next six times was hit or miss, after that I passed every time. Took the test 26 more times before my real test. Real test was easy, I might have missed two or so. Cheap and easy way to study for test!

Also, if you pass a test, you can take next higher test for free. General is 35 questions, and Amateur extra (top tier) is 50 questions. I didn't do that, and it would have been a waste if I did- I'm studying General now and getting my bubblegum thoroughly kicked.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Congratulations.

So ya bought a Yaesu, thats kinda like saying you bought a new Glock and not telling what Glock.:rolleyes:

Programing done with fiddy little buttons or using a computer, so much easier with a computer.:)

Congratulations.

So ya bought a Yaesu, thats kinda like saying you bought a new Glock and not telling what Glock.:rolleyes:

Programing done with fiddy little buttons or using a computer, so much easier with a computer.:)

It's an FT-70DR/DE. I've programmed manually so far. I learned the trick on Youtube to get to ADMS mode to use the Yaesu software. It's seems weird, but it works. I tried it, and got it to work, but I haven't used it yet to add presets.

Right now I have 25 repeaters programmed. I rolled up on W7RAT this morning and listened to a check-in. After that I listened to N7PIR for a while.

Looks like it should be a great radio, now it's time to start shopping for accessories.:)
Mag mount antenna for the car, better HT antenna, spare battery, car power adapter, and...

Looking at the reviews it looks like the biggest gripe is related to battery life. IIWM I'd pick up a spare, I'm a bit surprised they don't have a AA battery pack available for emergency use.

Looks like it should be a great radio, now it's time to start shopping for accessories.:)
Mag mount antenna for the car, better HT antenna, spare battery, car power adapter, and...

Looking at the reviews it looks like the biggest gripe is related to battery life. IIWM I'd pick up a spare, I'm a bit surprised they don't have a AA battery pack available for emergency use.

A spare is a great idea, thanks! I'm also planning on getting an earpiece/mic so I'm not bothering the missus :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top