JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
My IDPA shooting club ran a training scenario on gangbangers a month or so ago. The info imparted was that todays bangers are not afraid of your guns... they been there done that, been shot at or at least seen it. I suppose tweekers could be included with that lot. Icy control is good if you can keep it... but when the lead starts flying we were trained to do something unexpected to upset their apple cart/primitive brain... yell, scream, run at them, anything that will make stop their train for a few seconds so you can get the upper hand. FWIW

Thanks for the 'teachable moment"
I'm curious. Where were the other 2 (the female and the 90 deg guy)? and what were they doing while the soda thrower was threatening you?
i.e.; did she get behind the wheel and was he trying to circle behind you?

I think I'll get one of those fisheye (ski boat) mirrors or a "third eye" mirror for my shooting glasses, so I can watch my back when shooting alone.

Yes, I understand the buddy system, but sometimes it's not available.

I learned so much about how I MAY react in a situation like this, that it was almost worth going thru it.......if you understand what I mean.

Glad you got out of there okay. And good thing too these guys were dumber than dirt. If they'd had any brains they'd have tried to ambush you somewhere else. They must not have ever watched any of those 100s of old Westerns where the ambush happens in the canyon.

Either you stumbled on where they collect brass for money, or you stumbled too close to where they grow.

Always have a loaded mag.

I will remember that, thanks for the story. If it's any consequence, my CHL instructor had an incident remarkably similar out in Cascadia. Remarkably, the law enforcements reactions were the same as yours.

Eagle

It's because it's easier for them to let you shoot them then deal with it themselves.

I've yet to see someone shoot a tweeker/banger in self defense get hit with any kind of infraction - I'm sure there are exceptions but generally LEO can figure out who the bad guys are in those scenarios.

I am glad you are ok and thanks for sharing it as well. Makes one think long and hard about where they shoot with many questions that should probably be answered before setting up to shoot.

Always carry concealed when you're up at your shooting spot. And act like the one you've been shooting is your only lifeline...

Good job handling the situation though :cool:
And never shoot all of your ammo and keep at least one weapon upon you (and I agree, concealed) and with good carry ammo. On more than one occasion I've been in situations, shooting with friend(s) where I was the only one to do/practice this (they had shot all of their ammo) when there were actual serious problems.
Oh, and nothing ever really happened while out actually shooting.. it's that sometimes we'd go shooting many hours or days away and things can just happen. anyway

Last Edited:
Thanks for the account. very instructive. I realize that the whole way you handled the situation resulted in the good out come, but i do have a question. The way I read it the G26 made no impression but the AR did. Do I have that right?

Thanks for the account. very instructive. I realize that the whole way you handled the situation resulted in the good out come, but i do have a question. The way I read it the G26 made no impression but the AR did. Do I have that right?

Maybe by that time, it wasn't necessarily just the firearm that got their attention. Maybe it was something in his voice or how he physically was acting that indicated he was not going to cease and desist his defence of himself.

I mostly shoot alone and have had vehicles slooooowly creep by putting me on edge, I used to park and walk a decent way from my vehicle with only the gun and ammo I was shooting, leaving the others in my unlocked car still within sight, but too far to reach before a car driving by could do what they might do.

I would shoot up the ammo for the gun I was using then walk back to reload or get my next gun to shoot.
After reading about stuff happening like NoFlinch described from another source I wised up.

I still mostly shoot alone but I ALWAYS keep something extra loaded on my person and keep the other weapons locked and out of sight.

Its actually just what they were after, INTIMIDATION, that is all. Most two bit punks extent of what they know how to do.

To think that you not go back out there is fulfilling what they are out to accomplish. Its a free country and our state, federal, blm public lands is our only place to go and practice and participate our 2A rights without being a member of club.

Most undoubtedly, I would not let them make me feel this way. In the law, here in Oregon, as you have stated, they had become emboldened. The final act before physical confrontation occurs.

Guys I know still use CB radio which may be monitored by the Local Police, State, or otherwise. Having a camera phone with recorder may save your arse in case they call and complain of brandishing or threatening.

There are other legal ways to deal with these idiots.

Good work. It's a really hard thing to know what to do when confronted.
These guys probably make a living off people being too scared to really act or get scared stiff.

Would have been nice to shoot out the tires on the way out, give them a nice long walk to think about their life choices.

I'm curious. Where were the other 2 (the female and the 90 deg guy)? and what were they doing while the soda thrower was threatening you?
i.e.; did she get behind the wheel and was he trying to circle behind you?

Actually, I had totally forgotten about the 2nd guy, although I "Think" I saw him out of the corner of my eye still at the 90Degree position.

The girl was screaming at me from beside the Bronco, and I just drove past her.

His eyes did open when he saw the 26, but the AR made a BIGGER impression.

Wow! So glad that you are okay, Flinch, glad you didn't have to kill too! After the infamous FBI shoot out in Miami, where the armed robbers had obtained their weapons by murdering sport shooters I kept an AK -47 on the hood, moved it to a more "usable" position and looked menacing as heck when others came! Understand I never pointed it at anyone! It was a simple message received and understood!:rolleyes:
Again, NoFlinch, happy you are unharmed! And, everyone be careful out there
BTW, probably only "badasses" because they're cracked or methed out!

Last Edited:
I and some friends shoot out in the woods a lot. Most shooters know 1 of us. We spoke about tis and always have a semi auto 556 or 308 at the ready.Never just rely on a hand gun unless there is quite a few of us.
Oh yeah then there is plenty of back up.
We treat every vehicle as a potential threat unless someone recognizes the car.

As for shooting alone,I always have a shotgun or semi auto at the ready.In arms reach
I probably would have come real close to firing on these guys if not destroying their truck
A magazine past the perps would have been a game changer and I would have been hard pressed not to do this.
My alternative (laughing at them) would have ,probably brought this about anyway.

I have a feeling they knew exactly what they were doing. Out to get your guns.... for free! With the 'spread apart' and surround you moves, your intuition was right on. You may not have left there alive. Great awareness on your part.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would have read the whole 'long' version if you'd have typed it.

Bill

Good job making it out in one piece.

I rarely shoot alone, but if I feel I need some "me time" out shooting, I wear body armor. I've had the heck scared out of me twice by tweekers while shooting. And alone or not I keep my primary weapon slung on me the entire time(generally my ak), even if slinging clays out or running one of my pistols.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads