JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With all of the talk of losing ground with our 2nd amendment rights, I would like to suggest that when you go to the range, take someone with you that doesn't have any gun experience. Co-workers, neighbors, even relatives. I wouldn't recommend taking someone you don't know unless someone you trust vouches for them. Education with regards to guns would go a long way towards helping our cause.

When you get to the range, go over safely handing a gun. Have them repeat back the rules so you know they are listening. Talk about cartridges and how a "Bullet" is just a component of a cartridge. Show them how to load the gun, use of the safety, how to aim it at the target.

Make it a pleasant experience that changes their perception of our gun culture. Start out with a small caliber (22) rifle, they are relatively quiet and have little recoil. A bolt action would be preferable to a semi-auto for starting out, they would need to work the action before they could shoot another round. Then let them try a 22 pistol (once you feel comfortable with them shooting the rifle). Bring along a full size gun and let them see you shooting it so that they can see how much recoil it has and how loud. Let them shot it if they ask, but don't force it on them. Bring you wife (or significant other) along to help them feel more comfortable.

Please post your thoughts, suggestions and experiences.

Thanks,
Ron

Here's my typical pre-range safety briefing...

2FDFD1EF-F7CF-4386-909A-908C2AEF9665.gif

Not really. ;)

With all of the talk of losing ground with our 2nd amendment rights, I would like to suggest that when you go to the range, take someone with you that doesn't have any gun experience. Co-workers, neighbors, even relatives.

What if they don't want to go to the range?

Just poking a bit. Please excuse me! That's just what came to mind when I read the post. I would certainly agree that if you know people that would be interested in learning about fire arms, by all means, work with them! I live IN NE PDX. Everyone I know knows all about firearms already, from the main stream media. o_O

I enjoy taking new folks out - safety first, and usually a lot of fun.
I will usually field strip a pistol & AR both so they can check out all the parts - familiarity usually help with their comfort level and confidence when they step up to the line.

In the course of showing my collection of antique muzzleloaders...I have "taught" many things:

The history ( or as much as I know or can guess ) of the firearm in question...

The safe handling of muzzleloaders...this is always good as many antique firearms have no mechanical safety, other than a "half cock notch"...
( There are exceptions to this... )

That muzzleloaders are quite accurate when loaded with a load that a particular firearm likes...

Explaining away the many misconceptions of muzzleloading firearms...

That you can be around guns , sharp knives , tomahawks and arrows , gunpowder etc...and still not get hurt while shooting and handling them properly....

Thank you Ron for the reminder , that every chance for a positive experience sharing firearms , may go a long way in getting someone on "our" side....
5.jpg

P1130868.JPG

P1120486.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

With all of the talk of losing ground with our 2nd amendment rights, I would like to suggest that when you go to the range, take someone with you that doesn't have any gun experience. Co-workers, neighbors, even relatives. I wouldn't recommend taking someone you don't know unless someone you trust vouches for them. Education with regards to guns would go a long way towards helping our cause.

When you get to the range, go over safely handing a gun. Have them repeat back the rules so you know they are listening. Talk about cartridges and how a "Bullet" is just a component of a cartridge. Show them how to load the gun, use of the safety, how to aim it at the target.

Make it a pleasant experience that changes their perception of our gun culture. Start out with a small caliber (22) rifle, they are relatively quiet and have little recoil. A bolt action would be preferable to a semi-auto for starting out, they would need to work the action before they could shoot another round. Then let them try a 22 pistol (once you feel comfortable with them shooting the rifle). Bring along a full size gun and let them see you shooting it so that they can see how much recoil it has and how loud. Let them shot it if they ask, but don't force it on them. Bring you wife (or significant other) along to help them feel more comfortable.

Please post your thoughts, suggestions and experiences.

Thanks,
Ron
I did this many years ago with a freind of mine. He still talks about it. I always offer the first time the ammunition and guns to use. This is a good idea as ignorance is removed the subject can be looked at objectively.

Ive normally started a newbie with a couple hours of gun handling at home. First learning to handle safely. Keeping finger off trigger until gun is aimed at target and ready to shoot. Not pointing gun at me. Moving around and always staying in control of where gun is pointing. Explaining that if you trip or step in a hole or get shoved, your hand will grasp, which means the gun goes off. Hence keeping finger off trigger exceot when ready to shoot. Etc. All this with unloaded guns, preferably a rifke, a revolver, and a semi auto.

Then comes learning to load and unload and check the condition of each of the three types of guns. Then lots of handing the guns back and forth checking each time to see if its loaded. All still at home. Basic safety plus everything needed to handle guns in a gun store without making people nervous. Specific discussion of gun store situation. Counter is there. Clerk is there. Customers are there. So now where do you stand and how to face so you can accept a gun and point it without pointing it at anyone? Handling revolver cylinders gently. Ask permission before dry firing. That's all still at home.

Frankly, I would not just take someone to a range and try to instruct them there with all the noise and distraction. I want them to prove they can reliably keep their finger off the trigger and keep aware of and control over where gun is pointed BEFORE their first shooting.

First shooting session, the newbie is already comfortable with safe handling and dry firing. Only thing new is the bangs. I fire each gun first so they can see and hear it before doing it. Hearing and eye protection. Focusing on keeping steady through trigger squeeze, not flinching. I use a big target nearby if possible, such as a human shape at ten feet. Much more encouraging and more relevant than a small target at 50 feet or more.

Last Edited:
Personally I would not take someone shooting I did not trust to begin with. I would never take some one shooting I did not know first. I am responsible for the individual and the environment i dont want to find out they are a freak show after i put a loaded gun in thier hands.

Personally I would not take someone shooting I did not trust to begin with. I would never take some one shooting I did not know first. I am responsible for the individual and the environment i dont want to find out they are a freak show after i put a loaded gun in thier hands.
I agree. I once had a woman ask me to teach her to shoot who had a son who was clinically depressed and suicidal. Not the right situation in which to introduce a gun or even the idea of guns.

I've introduced four of my friends to shooting in the last six months or so... pistol and AR....

Made sure to get video of their first shot with the AR... That smile each time... :D

l my co-workers tote 45ACPs, except for the gal, she has a 38.
All my kin and neighbors are armed to the teeth.
The folks I talk to at the range are the noobs trying to blow ship up with incorrect ammo.
In the last year, two guys bought 308s, and blew them up, a few stalls away from me.

What if they don't want to go to the range?

Just poking a bit. Please excuse me! That's just what came to mind when I read the post. I would certainly agree that if you know people that would be interested in learning about fire arms, by all means, work with them! I live IN NE PDX. Everyone I know knows all about firearms already, from the main stream media. o_O
I don't care if they are the most anti gun person on the face of the Earth.
They still are human and have a curiosity.
If they say they won't go .
They are a consider a sheep.
They will do what others tell them and we don't need them anyway. image.png Sheeple-Thumb.jpg

Follow up to my post above.
So I took a friend to the gun range did the whole speach about gun safety and stuff like that.I KEPT TELLING HIM FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER. bubblegumING FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER .
So after a few mags that I loaded for him .
I hand him the gun and then the mag then tell him go ahead do it .
He puts the mag in and rackes the slide .BAM THE GUN FIRES.AND HE SHOOTS THE GROUND IN FRONT OF US.
And looks at me like I did something to trick him.
I just said THAT'S WHY I SAID FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
IT WAS KINDA FUNNY BUT NOT REALLY .
lol he never put his finger on the trigger after that .
It got him to really pay attention

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top