JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Correct me if I am wrong but I THOUGHT in Oregon a restraining order could only be taken out against a relative.

I don't know about oregon, but restraining orders are much more broad than that, generally there is a special class of restraining order dealing with an intimate partner, and the like, but as you said, that's only a relative/relationship resulted RO, these have some special cases where the address of the accuser may not be printed on the RO. It's also easier to get a temporary restraining order (TRO).

I had to file a RO some years ago when a friend of mine finished puberty and came out the other end as a paranoid schitzophrenic drug abuser. He was stalking my wife and me, and the whole thing culimated in him attacking me (good thing I am twice his size, and have spent years as a bouncer, oh and he didn't know how to fight). I pulled my punches and didn't hurt him, even though I really wanted to, next day went out and filed a TRO followed by a 3 year RO.

In any case like this, if you are the "victim of a crime" it's very easy to file a RO. Especially if there is the possibility you will be testifying. What the RO really does is give you liability protection for when you shoot these guys when they come after you after getting out of jail. Once you've gone through the paperwork, if you need to file them against the rest of the family, it's a rather trivial matter.

Actually the real value in a restraining order is that it gives police legal leverage to arrest the person without having been at the scene when the alleged violation occurred. In that way the petitioner is better off than being without one.

Doesn't have anything directly to do with covering a post-shooting liability issue, those facts have to stand on their own merit based on witness statements and circumstantial evidence.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads