JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi folks, fairly new here so I'll get right down to it! I am passionate about firearms and firearms training in a safe, comfortable environment. I have a background in teaching all levels of people, from military to special needs children (the most rewarding). This was in Martial Arts, of which I am retired. I recently transitioned to part time from my other job of 20 years as well and am looking to put some effort into further training of myself and doing volunteer work in order to get my foot in the door instructing. Right now I am in full information gathering mode... all of it, the good and the bad. I am looking for any and all insight and opinion.

I am not all that interested in upper tier courses or instructing elite shooters. That is not my background or my skill level and I know there are other, far more experienced and trained individuals out there then I ever will be. I am however keenly interested in teaching introductory pistol courses and ensuring folks have fun, feel safe and come away from the course with a smile on their faces.

I am an RSO already with some experience as an assistant in an intro to handguns course taught every other Sunday at a local range (I have LE throughout my wife's side of the family that has allowed me this awesome opportunity and connected me to some names)

I have and do shoot ASI, IDPA and some multi gun stuffs, all very laid back matches, nothing to serious or ego filled

At this time I am working on my Pistol Instructors Cert followed by other certs

I am looking to do some traveling and get some further training at Gunsite Academy later this year as well

On top of this I am volunteering time at local ranges as able

My question for other instructors out there is: What MORE do you suggest I pursue, what might help this endevour? I am looking for that "insiders" info that I am finding so valuable in this field.

Thanks a ton!

The trend is towards more women shooting and big increase in concealed carry. I teach basic handgun, but our courses that are busiest are the Utah/Oregon concealed carry classes. If you are NRA pistol instructor certified that's fine for Oregon. You need to go to Utah for the instructor course to teach non-resident Utah CFL. These courses can feed your other courses.

I'd suggest getting some training with muzzleloading firearms as well.
While not as common as more modern firearms...there are many misconceptions out there , regarding muzzleloaders and their use.
Andy

I'd suggest getting some training with muzzleloading firearms as well.
While not as common as more modern firearms...there are many misconceptions out there , regarding muzzleloaders and their use.
Andy

When I took my RSO certification we had to demonstrate how to make a muzzle loader safe, explain its functions and demonstrate a few techniques. This was the only part of the test I REALLY struggled with. I only passed due to my ability to BS my way through based off other firearms knowledge, haha!

Getting into the muzzle loader scene is definitely on my list of things to do!

Thank you.

When I took my RSO certification we had to demonstrate how to make a muzzle loader safe, explain its functions and demonstrate a few techniques. This was the only part of the test I REALLY struggled with. I only passed due to my ability to BS my way through based off other firearms knowledge, haha!

Getting into the muzzle loader scene is definitely on my list of things to do!

Thank you.
While I am not a certified instructor ...
I have been shooting , hunting with , collecting , restoring and researching muzzleoaders for many years now...and if I can help or add to your confusion of such....please let me know...:D
Andy

Groups that have shooting disciplines usually have a way to train and grow instructors - Appleseed, Scouts, Youth shooting programs, etc. The easiest way to find them is that they're usually the ones putting out a call for RSOs to staff their events and competitions. You get to see how other organizations run their program and instruct, and what you like and don't like, and can work your way up.

If you're taking classes to be an NRA certified instructor, the training counselors usually have a network of people they've trained and in my experience are pretty good at playing match maker to help new instructors work with more experienced instructors. Find a good training counselor and work with them.

While I am not a certified instructor ...
I have been shooting , hunting with , collecting , restoring and researching muzzleoaders for many years now...and if I can help or add to your confusion of such....please let me know...:D
Andy
Thanks Andy, thats awesome of ya! Just might take ya up on that! Do you ever shoot at Renton Fish and Game by chance? There are muzzleloaders there nearly every time I go, seems a fun group.

Groups that have shooting disciplines usually have a way to train and grow instructors - Appleseed, Scouts, Youth shooting programs, etc. The easiest way to find them is that they're usually the ones putting out a call for RSOs to staff their events and competitions. You get to see how other organizations run their program and instruct, and what you like and don't like, and can work your way up.

If you're taking classes to be an NRA certified instructor, the training counselors usually have a network of people they've trained and in my experience are pretty good at playing match maker to help new instructors work with more experienced instructors. Find a good training counselor and work with them.

Thanks for the input and will do!

Attend new shooter classes and see what fits into your style. I really enjoy teaching the new shooters as much as the upper level classes. You are welcome to attend a couple of my free classes if you are in central Washington. I will be posting on my new website standreadytraining.com or on our Facebook page, okanogan county firearms training.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top