JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone seen this?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/16/amtrak.guns/index.html

My uncle recently came to visit, but had to leave his rifles at home because he couldn't bring them on the train. So although it might seem trivial...

Yes, got a email from the GOA on the issue.
Sen. Wicker Amendment Will Protect Gun Rights of Amtrak Travelers

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://gunowners.org

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Earlier today, Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS) offered an amendment to the 2010 Transportation-Housing & Urban Development Appropriations bill.

Sen. Wicker's amendment will allow law-abiding gun owners to safely and legally transport firearms when they travel on Amtrak. A nearly identical amendment, also offered by Sen. Wicker, passed the Senate in April by a vote of 63-35.

Current Amtrak regulations prohibit firearms in both checked and carry-on baggage. Sportsmen who wish to use an Amtrak train for a hunting trip, therefore, cannot include a shotgun even in their checked luggage.

Likewise, travelers who have a permit to carry a concealed firearm cannot include a self-defense firearm in their checked luggage, even if they are allowed to carry in both the states of origin and destination.

But if such travelers were to take the trip by air, they could check a gun onto the aircraft by simply declaring the firearm and transporting it in a prescribed manner.

Of course, very few people use Amtrak -- and many question why that entity receives any tax payer money.

Regardless, a transportation entity that receives billions of federal taxpayer dollars should not be allowed to prevent law-abiding citizens from hunting or defending themselves when they travel on vacation or personal business.

Sen. Wicker's amendment prohibits any federal taxpayer funding of Amtrak if it does not allow gun owners to transport firearms on trains in a manner similar to that of airlines.

Under this amendment, travelers would be able to transport a firearm from Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage as long as the firearm is declared and carried in a hard-sided, locked container.

Americans should not be denied their Second Amendment rights when they travel by Amtrak.

It's bad enough that law-abiding citizens are disarmed onboard a train, where there is usually no law enforcement present and where they may be subject to criminal attack. But it is just plain absurd not to let American citizens simply transport a firearm in checked baggage.

ACTION: Please urge your Senators to vote for the Wicker amendment to protect the rights of gun owners. This vote could occur as early as Wednesday afternoon. You can use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your legislators the pre-written e-mail message below.

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Senator:

As you are probably aware, Sen. Roger Wicker offered an amendment to the 2010 Transportation-Housing & Urban Development Appropriations bill -- an amendment that will allow law-abiding gun owners to safely and legally transport firearms when they travel on Amtrak.

A nearly identical amendment, also offered by Sen. Wicker, passed the Senate in April by a vote of 63-35. I am urging you to vote for this Wicker language, as well.

Current Amtrak regulations prohibit firearms in both checked and carry-on baggage. Sportsmen who wish to use an Amtrak train for a hunting trip, therefore, cannot include a shotgun even in their checked luggage.

Likewise, travelers who have a permit to carry a concealed firearm cannot include a self-defense firearm in their checked luggage, even if they are allowed to carry in both the states of origin and destination.

But if such travelers were to take the trip by air, they could check a gun onto the aircraft by simply declaring the firearm and transporting it in a prescribed manner.

The Wicker amendment would close the pernicious loophole that discriminates against Amtrak riders. Please vote in favor of the Wicker language.

Sincerely,

Defend The 2nd Amendment Through Creative Giving...

As we confront the challenges of the future, we know that the generosity of those who assist us will make all the difference in our success. That's why GOA seeks your long-term support.

Please call 703-321-8585 during regular business hours or go to http://gunowners.net/cgi-bin/ttx.cgi?cmd=newticket to request information on how to keep control of your assets and make a gift at the same time through:

I use Amtrak and I'd love to again be allowed to at least ship firearms along with me when I travel by train. Better still, I'd like to be legally able to carry while riding. On a related note, I do not think "airport style security" would be beneficial for trains. Of course, I feel the same about airports. :)

I used Amtrak .here is my advice when you think of doing it, go out to your shop, place thumb on bench, hit it with a big hammer, REPEAT AS NECESSARY, to remove the idea from your mind. left late and it was originating at that station, had a 5 hour layover to catch another train, missed the connection because the train was over 5 hours late arriving for the connection.on the way back the train left Chicago an hour late and broke down before it cleared the station another 3 hrs and we left again.arrived in Denver over 8 hrs late. I'd hitchhike before amtrac. P.S. I took my pistol no one checks your luggage and there are no metal detectors at train stations.

I got all excited when I saw the headline, I thought it would allow cc or oc on the train. Instead it just bumps it up to airline level...worthless.

I know people who carry on Amtrak. They don't check and if one is smart about it, they won't check your luggage, either. Just check in right as the train is arriving so they rush to get the luggage on the cars.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top