JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Firearms training is expensive and thus impractical to train regularly in a paid professional instructor setting. I cant even find a firearms training center nearby that includes force on force. Im curious what that means and what type of combative skills does FoF teach?

We use simmunitions, which are plastic bullets full of bright colored powdered soap. They fire out modified firearms that look, feel and cycle like a real gun. Many courses will have an instructor in a padded suit so you use whatever level of force is necessary to stop the threat, including the gun. Very useful training.

image.jpeg

Its more of an application of skills exercise. You learn x,y,z, and then apply vs aggressors. Unfortunately, you cant fight as dirty as you would in real life. Pretty hard to do that withought someone getting a knee replacement.

well, I'm not totally clear on what FoF is I thought it was simulation based firearm training such as with video simulators or simunitions with real players but not physical defense. If the instructor is wearing a padded suit I was assuming some sort of physical defense is taught, which would be a martial art.

I'm not criticizing firearm training, I think its essential if you carry a gun for defense. Everyone should take a defensive firearm class. I would love to take a FoF class but its expensive, so expensive I cant practically train in the style enough to master it and it doesn't teach physical self defense or perhaps I'm not clear on how a FoF class would teach those skills especially if it includes contact shooting. Anyways all I'm saying is traditional martial arts instruction is more practical to learn.

well, I'm not totally clear on what FoF is I thought it was simulation based firearm training such as with video simulators or simunitions with real players but not physical defense. If the instructor is wearing a padded suit I was assuming some sort of physical defense is taught, which would be a martial art.

I'm not criticizing firearm training, I think its essential if you carry a gun for defense. Everyone should take a defensive firearm class. I would love to take a FoF class but its expensive, so expensive I cant practically train in the style enough to master it and it doesn't teach physical self defense or perhaps I'm not clear on how a FoF class would teach those skills especially if it includes contact shooting. Anyways all I'm saying is traditional martial arts instruction is more practical to learn.

FoF firearms training brings another level of realism to fireams training that would be equivalent to full contact sparring. Its as close to a real gunfight as you're going to get without someone getting seriously hurt.

Im not sure what is more practical to learn, but you dont have to do too much FoF training to realize how crazy an gunfight can be.

We use simmunitions, which are plastic bullets full of bright colored powdered soap. They fire out modified firearms that look, feel and cycle like a real gun. Many courses will have an instructor in a padded suit so you use whatever level of force is necessary to stop the threat, including the gun. Very useful training.
I am yet to find the article but American Rifleman? or such had an article about police training and it's faults
Apparently there was a gang member? multiple homicide kinda dude in prison and they wanted to interview him. He wasn't going anywhere any time soon so he agreed.
They showed him some training videos. He laughed at them
He went to the range and did some drills with them. The range officer got mad at him
He told them that their training was BS. They don't think the same as you do. The training wasn't going to save anyone
His main purpose was to get away. Anyone in his way could be killed for all he cared.
The officers training weren't ready for his aggression.
This is what you have to deal with if you get into a battle with a hardened criminal.
I'm not a cowboy. I will not get into a physical confrontation with anyone I don't have to.
At my age and condition It wouldn't be good.Twist something and I am done
I could hurt a MOFO but I can't take the blows he may give.
Can you?
For me the idea is to not go to places where there is a concentration of bad people
And if I have to,remember that they could care less if I live.
You need to have they same attitude. Don't care if the attacker lives or dies.
All you could think of was you needed to get home to your children or wife

That's because admin is ALWAYS afraid of lawsuits and the ensuing investigations that ALWAYS follow a use of force event.
but think about it how they would,or have to
You signed up to be a cop. Getting hurt or killed was a known factor
The union will pay for either your medical or death benefits and your family if you do die
The city may have to pay millions if things go wrong
Just sayin'

but think about it how they would,or have to
You signed up to be a cop. Getting hurt or killed was a known factor
The union will pay for either your medical or death benefits and your family if you do die
The city may have to pay millions if things go wrong
Just sayin'

An expendable asset.......

What sucks is that when I went into the military, Article I of the code of conduct stated I would be prepared to give my life in the defense of America.

Never did that for law enforcement! I prefer guving people the look (I use the one eyebrow popped up) and they smile and stop doing whatever. Then, getting a few extra wontons at the teriyaki joint. Thats a job well done right there.

Last Edited:
regarding this false sense of security with martial arts, I think it has more to do with the person than the instruction..

I've looked at a few more local ads for martial arts training, and one ad was designed around the slogan "For health and fitness".

To be honest, I have no first hand experience at all myself with any kind of martial arts training. So I am looking at this without any personal knowledge. But the mere fact that an ad would emphasis "health and fitness", makes me wonder if it really offers any sort of effective self-defense training, and is just an exercise course?

Or perhaps this is more political correctness raising its ugly head. Learning martial arts "for health and fitness" is no doubt more PC, and acceptable to more people.

Last Edited:
I grew up with Tae Kwon Do and I can tell you it was competely worthless in regards to fighting tactics. It was great for developing flexibility, cardiovascular fitness and discipline. I dont recall there being much instruction on how to stop a threat. It was more geared on how to score points.

Other studios may have better instruction, but mine sure didnt.

Some of you may remember several years ago an experienced BB karate instructor, I'm thinking 4th or 5th degree in New York was sliced and diced and died during a street knife attack. Ugg! Horrible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top