Gun Shop Know it all jerks

Discussion in 'Women Shooters' started by OLDNEWBIE, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. theshake420

theshake420
    america

I did not know it was possible to rent guns. Is that legal?

2. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened?
    Pain in the neck. Bronze Supporter

Sure........ You just need to clean off the blood and brains before you return it. o_O

3. theshake420

theshake420
    america

That does not sound legal to me, unless it was a self-defense or bounty hunter situation.

4. Hedrin

Hedrin
    Portland area
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The Place to Shoot in North Portland has a wide variety of weapons to rent. The only thing is you have to have a party of at least two to rent. (Rumor has it they had a lone woman rent a gun the shoot herself on the range)

Sgt Nambu and Medic! like this.
  5. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

Not sure where you are located, but several places here in the Portland area legally rent guns including the previously mentioned "A Place to Shoot" as well as the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas. The English Pit in Vancouver rents guns as well. I believe there are several other options too. Just be advised that renting the gun is for use at that range, sometimes requiring you buy their ammo as well. I'm not sure if anyone rents a gun you can take with you and return later - that probably doesn't happen.

6. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

As I recall, that's how they got the unfortunate nickname "The Place to Shoot....yourself" :eek:

oknow and Medic! like this.
  7. theshake420

theshake420
    america

Ok, I thought you meant renting guns outside of the range. I have rented guns at the range before too. The place where I rent doesn't require two persons, we don't believe a non-lethal incident should be enough to up the regulations. However, they are monitors making sure things stay safe.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  8. jonnyonthespot

jonnyonthespot
    Tigard

I think these guys have tiny wieners. I've found that a couple of the guys at fisherman's marine in beaverton are the worst for it.

I was in there with my wife one day and wwnt to look at a few things while she was checking out holsters. When I came back the slime ball was making suggestive comments about wearing a thigh holster. We do not shop there any more

HikerKat and Certaindeaf like this.
  9. Connor Murphy

Connor Murphy
    Washington County

He wanted to see you in a thigh holster? That is a little wierd.

10. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar
    Tigard, OR

Not in this neck of the woods!o_O

jonnyonthespot and F2CMaDMaXX like this.
  11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

I wasn't there (duh) and that may well have bothered me greatly too. However, perhaps he was actually being "sincere".
    Many men don't have a clue (pretty much me included) how a woman might best carry a gun and was just trying to be helpful.
    I hear you though.

jsparks747 likes this.
  12. jonnyonthespot

jonnyonthespot
    Tigard

From what I overheard as I approached and how his demeanor changed when I stopped next to my wife and looked him in the eye he was not being sincere, he was being a creep. Also I'd like to see a thigh holster that conceals a Glock 26 efficiently.

Sgt Nambu, HikerKat and Certaindeaf like this.
  13. Kaskadian

Kaskadian
    Woodburn, OR

When I worked at the budsgunshop.com retail store (Lexington, KY), we had a few guys that were literally in the shop every single day sharing their "expert opinion" with everyone who would listen. I've had to politely ask several of them to stop bothering other customers on multiple occasions.

I remember one of them in particular would show up anytime a new shooter was looking for their first gun and insist that they needed a .45 ACP MINIMUM! It didn't matter if this person had never shot a gun in their life, if they were a 105 lbs, or someone looking for an affordable target pistol. This guy would magically appear and insult everything that wasn't a .45 or larger. This gentleman was asked to leave multiple times after butting into conversations between customers and staff and aggressively sharing his opinion and insulting other customers who insisted they wanted a 9mm, 38 SP, etc.

easy-e, Alexx1401, Sgt Nambu and 3 others like this.
  14. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough
    RIP City!

Sounds like a gun shop know it all Jerk for sure. :cool:

Alexx1401 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  15. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Kaskadian wrote.....This gentleman was asked to leave multiple times after butting into conversations between customers and staff and aggressively sharing his opinion and insulting other customers who insisted they wanted a 9mm, 38 SP, etc...

at which point the management banned his sorry a$$ from the store until such time as he improved his attitude to an acceptable level of politehoodshipness.

Betcha it never happened, sadly.

tac

Alexx1401, Sgt Nambu and F2CMaDMaXX like this.
  16. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX
    West of Portland from England
    Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Just started buying stuff from Buds, pretty good service and prices.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    Oregon

LOL!!! I don't see the holster as a problem! What kind of thigh would it take to hide a Glock 26? :eek: I would be enraged if that happened to us! I tend to stick with her in "man" places.

jsparks747 likes this.
  18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    Oregon

:D I still like Kieths! No smart azzes, but they are in a hurry! They are always busy, so know what you want and spit it out! The counter people want efficiency, that's what I want too! Not a place to loll about fondling firearms, but the get on with it mindset there gets the sales done and that reflects on the most reasonable prices! :D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Certaindeaf and MrMillspecer like this.
  19. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

It only takes ONE "incident" to change rules. Never asked the one guy I know who owns the range I use what it costs. I have to guess his liability insurance is expensive. The rules there have changed many times over the few decades he's been in business. Since I have been going since opening I often only hear it second hand. Last I heard one of them now is no rental if you are alone and don't have a gun of your own, or if you admit you have never shot before. They are trying to protect themselves of course. A while back Wife was there and the clerk was having some "friction" with a customer. He was a shooter, had a shot gun with him. Was with a couple women who had never shot. When asked he said he was shooting his hand guns. The women were going to "try" the shotgun. Clerk told him no they were not. He was arguing about it. Since Wife is member the clerk just sent her back so he got back to dealing with shotgun man. If it was me I think I would have probably told the guy to take his business elsewhere. I have taken new shooters there. I have taught new shooters a shotgun there. Never a problem. It may have been the way the guy answered the question. Made the clerk think he was planing on handing the shotgun to the women and using another lane to shoot. Not paying attention to what the women were doing? Who knows. I know at a range if I was working and I lay out the "rules", someone follows them. If they wanted to discuss it, like can I show them how to use this, I will be standing there with them or such, fine. If someone is openly telling me "you can't tell me what to do", I would show them the door and say sorry no.

20. Swedish K

Swedish K
    SW Washington
    Moderator Staff Member

Several years ago I used to shoot at an indoor range in West Sacramento that is no longer (partnership had problems). They had a gun rental suicide case happen there one day. I guess the guy was being hauled in on a 5150 hold and he was not properly strapped down in the ambulance. He bailed out at a stop light and managed to evade being caught long enough to walk into the range and rent a gun. no one else was on the range at the time. He ran through all but one mag of ammo from the box he purchased and proceeded to walk past the shooting line bench, lay down with his head pointed down range and ended it. Talking to one of the staff working that day they said he had a nice tight groups on the targets he had used.

It is unfortunate that this occurs, though I recall it happening at a sporting goods store back in Colorado when I lived there - gal had bought ammo at one store then walked into the second store, loaded while counter guy was answering the phone and that was it. Wonder if they got the gun back from evidence and if so was it sold as used?

Libertas7 and Sgt Nambu like this.