JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see this is about things pertaining to FGOs now and is open to all so here goes!

Sometimes they just hang around with no real purpose other than to brag and cut others down.

Other times they actually work behind the counter with their bad attitude and opinions!:eek:

I get the feeling they assume most women and a lot of men are totally ignorant about firearms and I have seen/heard a few things that prove it. My opinion is these guys probably don't know so much and hurt us all by alienating potential gun enthusiasts aka VOTERS!

Now some of the "know it alls" really do know a lot and aren't jerks and can be helpful but I imagine a lot of females avoid getting into guns because gun shop jerks.

Do you ladies feel under the microscope when in a gun shop looking to buy a gun?
Have you felt intimidated by these types before?

I can pick up the "vibe" of a place pretty easily (anyone can). If they don't have good business practices, They don't deserve to be in business, thAts true of any business. Owning a gun shop is a privelege, it's a realization of a pretty cool dream. Lots of great gun shops out there worth supporting.

I really haven't had any problems, although I know others that have. I just walk in like I know what I want (I do) and am informed (I am).

What struck me as funny are customers. A few times they have come up and asked if I am looking for a friend/husband/family member. Or they ask who in the family is the shooter.
Big shocked looks on their face when I say it's for me. I guess they can't comprehend that
a 63+ year old woman can be a gun enthusiast.

Last Edited:
I learned long ago , while working at a pawn shop to never assume anything about my customers.
Once we had a gal come in and ask for me.
She was moving to Alaska and wanted a gun for bears.
After talking with her for a bit , and finding out that she wasn't into handguns or shotguns , but really liked rifles , I showed her a Marlin 1895 in .45.70
As she was checking the Marlin out , a fella who had been listening with a smug look of distain suggested with a know-it-all tone that she buy the S&W model 29 in the case and be done with it.
Her answer was priceless :
Do you work here?
No.
Is your name Andy?
No.
Did I even ask you what gun to buy?
No.
Then shut up and leave me alone.
She bought the Marlin. That was a great day.
Andy

My impression of gun shops are very much like auto shops.

There are the helpful to everyone people, the people that want to tell everyone thier opinions and the people that will only consider their own opinions and disregard anything else.

Going into either situation uninformed will get you sub par service but having observed my wife deal with mechanics and then how they treat a male in the same breathe it is pretty disheartening.

Of course my wife doesn't look like she might reach over the counter with one hand and beat the salesman silly with the other and I do so maybe that's the differenceo_O.

I was in a Cabala's once and a woman and her BF were looking at a 9mm. The woman decides to hold it one handed like she was in a duel, (pointing in a safe direction btw) and the salesman loudly went off on her and her BF.
"THAT'S NOT THE WAY TO HOLD THAT!" BLA BLA BLA, SHE NEEDS TO TAKE A CLASS, BLA BLA BLA......" All heads turn towards the loud mouth and the woman.

I often hold a gun one handed when checking it out and sometimes even firing it. I couldn't see what the salesman, (an older guy) was griping about. A classic jerk.

Anyway the BF got just as loud back at him explaining she's been around guns all her life and owns a few etc...
I've seen and heard a few other things but this was the most blatant. Even if she was new to guns why be such a loudmouth jerk trying to embarrass her?

BTW I cruise Cabela's Springfield a lot and 99% of the time they seem friendly to all so maybe he heard or saw something I missed. She might have held it sideways at first! yo, yo, yo!:D

I get a kick out of going into a shop where they don't know me. Like tossing a dog a good smelling bone, and my asking questions the average gun owner already knows, gets them trying to sell me their crap. Their not having a clue of my reverse tactics playing them, I'll continue to play them to find out how far they'll go to sell me the junk. When I've had enough, I change the subject and tell them what I want. The look of "huh?, it's priceless.

There are a ton of these threads on here. Sadly it never gets enough discussion it seems.

I have worked behind a counter and I have shopped in front of one. There is no good way about it. The firearm industry is it's own kind of special when it comes to personalities.

My best advice to anyone shopping at any gun store. Take a deep breathe walking in, listen, don't talk too much, be nice, and hope they do the same. Don't be rude if you know more, don't ego up the conversation, let the person do what he is paid to do whether you like it or not. If your really worried about it, approach the buyer away from the salesperson and give some counsel if they want it, always ask if they want counsel first though.

Thing about advice is, if its not wanted, its not wanted.

If we all treat each other better as gun owners regardless of our knowledge, skill, etc. Maybe we can better our image?

Some of the older generation shops, the proprietor, depending on their previous evening at home, I learned long ago to walk through their shop like a puppy sniffing everything. Eventually it irritates them to a point they pop off. Which I found is exactly what they needed. A distraction!!

I did what I mention one morning. When I got his attention, I just walked out the door leaving him stymied. A few minutes later, back in the door I come. For an immediate a$$ chewin, lettin the heat out, for messin with him. But when I set two dozen fresh donuts on the counter, the whole shop was immediate smiles.

Hey, sugar worked on my kids (sometimes not good!). I used the same tactics to calm the beast. Coffee's ready!! ;)

I'll have to admit that I feel scrutinized often while visiting gun shops and some times at the range as well.. I always get the bench right in front of the RSO and I've been shooting at ranges since I was little, lol! One day, they'll trust me, maybe?! Besides, gun safety isn't rocket science - and there are plenty of women who can do rocket science. The world of firearms has been a boys club for quite a while, but I think it's becoming more open generally. Back many years ago it was pretty bad, but not too much anymore - tho I still feel the vibe often.

That's not how we roll....

image.jpeg

I'll have to admit that I feel scrutinized often while visiting gun shops and some times at the range as well.. I always get the bench right in front of the RSO and I've been shooting at ranges since I was little, lol! One day, they'll trust me, maybe?! Besides, gun safety isn't rocket science - and there are plenty of women who can do rocket science. The world of firearms has been a boys club for quite a while, but I think it's becoming more open generally. Back many years ago it was pretty bad, but not too much anymore - tho I still feel the vibe often.

I know many, if not most, of the 'boys' welcome the ladies into the gun world. It's not a guys-only interest. My wife likes to shoot, though she's not what I would call an enthusiast. And my daughter is being introduced to guns slowly as she gets older. I personally really like seeing women show up at the range. I also think that the growing trend of women not only owning guns, but carrying for defense, will be a big factor in continuing to protect our 2A rights in the future. Too bad there are a handful of numbnuts out there that don't recognize how important female shooters are and will be to our rights.

A lot of gun shops are staffed with the owner's buddies because knowledge of guns is seemingly the main requirement for employment. Being courteous and helpful is probably the most important trait needed, people are trained every day in their duties and can learn a lot in a very short time. Were I the owner of a gun store, I guarantee you at least one female clerk who will also teach beginning handgun safety and shooting for women and other new pistol purchasers would be just about the first person on the staff.

A lot of gun shops are staffed with the owner's buddies because knowledge of guns is seemingly the main requirement for employment. Being courteous and helpful is probably the most important trait needed, people are trained every day in their duties and can learn a lot in a very short time. Were I the owner of a gun store, I guarantee you at least one female clerk who will also teach beginning handgun safety and shooting for women and other new pistol purchasers would be just about the first person on the staff.

Nothing against female counter people but the very few I have encountered seemed to feel the need to prove they knew as much if not more then I did/do. Like little man syndrome x2.

Yep, some women are challenged for their presence in a gun shop by other staff and also some customers, it's understandable when they might overcompensate. It's definitely a matter of training and experience.

Last time it actually happened to me was at WalMart. They had gotten some Minimags in and I was waiting for the guy with the ammo cabinet key to show up. Another
customer came by and asked "Who's the shooter in the family?" I told him it was me.
After he picked his jaw up off the floor, he said "Really?" "REALLY?" In total shock.
He was a younger guy too, so you would think he would know better.

I have unfortunately seen what I call my "Top Five" for how the ladies are served at the gun shop.

1) Hotness is it's own form of celebrity.
2) Your cup size sometimes determines what kind of help and how much of it you get from fellas at the counter.
3) You are assumed to be an inexperienced shooter.
4) None of the holsters they stock fit anyone with hips.
5) The fellas always think you want something small or pink (really??? o_O)

Customer service is just as important in the firearms business as it is in any other business. I wish that some places took it just as much to heart when it comes to selling a gun to a woman as a man.

At one of the local shops here they'll try to convince a woman, regardless of experience, to get a .22 cause that's all they think she'd be able to handle. And I know some of them use a .44 magnum better than I could.

At one of the local shops here they'll try to convince a woman, regardless of experience, to get a .22 cause that's all they think she'd be able to handle. And I know some of them use a .44 magnum better than I could.

In all fairness, unless the lady or man said to me (if I were at a counter) that they had experience or didn't (body language says most of it) I would suggest one of the modern .22lr guns modeled after the larger platforms as a first gun. It's what I carry in shorts and it goes bang every time so far. It is also hands down, no matter how hard I train, much easier to put 10 rounds in the bullseye in half the time it does with a 9mm's or .357mag I have.

In all fairness, unless the lady or man said to me (if I were at a counter) that they had experience or didn't (body language says most of it) I would suggest one of the modern .22lr guns modeled after the larger platforms as a first gun. It's what I carry in shorts and it goes bang every time so far.
They do mention it at the counter when they say "I'm looking for another gun in such and such round." I get what you mean though. Some people at these shops just don't listen tbh. It goes both ways I'm sure.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews