JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of folks critical of some dealers, and others love that same dealer.

Depends on the day of the week, the particular employee you encounter, and how bad the previous customer spoiled the mood for the employee.

An example...Lots of praise for Curt's. On the other hand, I've been treated badly (read ignored) enough times I no longer go there.

Do your homework. Know what you're looking for before you enter a store. Don't rely on their knowledge, as it probably is lacking. Don't let them think that just because they don't know their products, that it somehow makes you the idiot.

Why don't we see anything like this over here in yUK?

In my experience nothing like this has ever happened to me, and I've not heard of it happening to anybody else, either.

It's most likely because when I go into a gun store I know what I'm going in for, and so rarely buy any kind of a gun that the likelihood of having some klutz point one at me for that blinding split-second before he is wearing it over his head is slight indeed.

tac
I have met an occasional idiot at a gun store, or someone who thinks I don't know what I am doing because I shoot lefty. But I have yet to have anyone do anything truly unsafe. But you pick up a surplus rifle and shoulder it to the left and some people lose their minds. (pointing in a safe direction after checking that it is clear, either chamber flagged or with bolt back to be obvious it is unloaded.)

And by idiot, I mean the kind that tries to bully you into buying a Glock 45 when you want a Sig p938. When you know what you want and they try to convince you you want something else and get downright insulting.

But usually I get good experiences.

I have met an occasional idiot at a gun store, or someone who thinks I don't know what I am doing because I shoot lefty. But I have yet to have anyone do anything truly unsafe. But you pick up a surplus rifle and shoulder it to the left and some people lose their minds. (pointing in a safe direction after checking that it is clear, either chamber flagged or with bolt back to be obvious it is unloaded.)
I hear ya, man, as a fellow southpaw right-handers suck sometimes. Just remind 'em that they owe us for all of our brethren they burned as witches 500 years ago...

I always recomend N.W. Armory! Awesome family business with knolagable folks behind the counter, and a great attitude towards customer service. They are busy most of the time, which is a good thing, so be patient with them. Another new shop I have discovers is Oregon Rifle Works in downtown Tigard, ok selection but knolagable staff and a willingness to help. Good selection of parts and accessories, and a decent selection of ammo at ok prices. All in all a good shop. For awesome hand made and fit kydex holsters OrygunHolsterworks is the go to place, and i can post up pictures of Ryan's work for all to admire. Stomper and I both had custom holsters made a few weeks back, and i am very pleased with the work! Ryan is a real stand up guy and isn't happy until your happy!!!

I hear ya, man, as a fellow southpaw right-handers suck sometimes. Just remind 'em that they owe us for all of our brethren they burned as witches 500 years ago...

Amen to that.

On the flip side, when I was browsing some pistols when looking for my first, dominant hand issue didn't come into play until the salesman had handed me a gun to look at. As soon as he saw me handling it lefty, he first verified that I was, indeed, a southpaw, and then made sure to let me know which guns were lefty-friendly, either out of the box ambidextrous or able to easily change the mag eject from right to left. Good salesperson who paid attention to what I was looking for initially, what I was doing when handling the guns, and making suggestions based on what he saw instead of his agenda. And not rushing me, either.

I think the attitude of the shops starts with the owner because how can one shop have so many bad employees? The gun shop closest to me is the worst. Creeps in the range area, employees that really seem reluctant to show me a gun I request to check out. Friday was the last straw. I went in to buy some gun cleaner and the gunsmith came out of nowhere, questioned me while I was cashing out (what was I cleaning etc..) then approved what I was purchasing. I will not go back there.

When I was bringing my mom to a gun shop to see which rifle would fit her, to know which rifle I should buy so I could share it with her (she won't accept anything over $200 as a gift so sharing is it), I had her pick up an AK. Clerk walked over and said she shouldn't consider an AK because it would be too much recoil, and that she should have an AR instead.

The kicker? It was an AK in 5.45. No other stores had one in 5.45 (course no one was willing to trade theirs for a SKS either), so I have one in 7.62x39. And as it turns out? She doesn't mind the recoil at all, because the rifle was a perfect fit (she's short)!

My worst experience was at Keiths and sadly has factored into me not going back. Back in 2011, I took my brother inlaw, who is a WA resident, into Keiths to do some shopping. He found a glock he really liked and we were trying to find an FFL nearby to where he lived on our phones. The owners wife had a suspcious glare at us and called us out in front of everyone, very loudly, saying that string purchases are illegal and she would not sell either of us a gun. We were both really embarassed and tried to show her our phones and explain what was going on. She then interrupted me and sternly sticked with her assumptions. It got very akward and tense so we both just left without saying anything else. Ive never shared this story as it always brings me back to how embarrassed i was for something I was accused of doing. Oh well, ive moved on and have been more than happy with my purchases elsewhere.:cool:

My worst experience was at Keiths and sadly has factored into me not going back. Back in 2011, I took my brother inlaw, who is a WA resident, into Keiths to do some shopping. He found a glock he really liked and we were trying to find an FFL nearby to where he lived on our phones. The owners wife had a suspcious glare at us and called us out in front of everyone, very loudly, saying that string purchases are illegal and she would not sell either of us a gun. We were both really embarassed and tried to show her our phones and explain what was going on. She then interrupted me and sternly sticked with her assumptions. It got very akward and tense so we both just left without saying anything else. Ive never shared this story as it always brings me back to how embarrassed i was for something I was accused of doing. Oh well, ive moved on and have been more than happy with my purchases elsewhere.:cool:
It saddens me that you had that experience at Keiths, I my self have had mixed experience there, but found that if I didn't have to deal with Keith with or his wife, things went great. Charley was always the go to guy as was the one younger kid who has been there for ever. I learned early on with them to call ahead and ask if charley was in, then i would drive all the way for Aloha to Deep Gresham to do some business!!!:(

I think the attitude of the shops starts with the owner because how can one shop have so many bad employees? The gun shop closest to me is the worst. Creeps in the range area, employees that really seem reluctant to show me a gun I request to check out. Friday was the last straw. I went in to buy some gun cleaner and the gunsmith came out of nowhere, questioned me while I was cashing out (what was I cleaning etc..) then approved what I was purchasing. I will not go back there.

You shoulda put the shine on him!

Something along the lines of: just picking up some of that there oil to rinse the bleach out my rifle.

Points if you can get away pronouncing oil as "earl" and rifle as "reefel".

Shux, go back and ask for him specific like just to let him know how well his earl did the trick!

Whoever it is that gives us our false expectations; does us the greatest dis-service(s).

Going into a gun shop should be a focused event; some gun shops aren't boutiques....going in for more than the primary reason is a recepie for failure; aka buyers remorse.

Option 1.Find, select, pay for what is needed/wanted, and go.. Pass!

Option 2. Find a friend, feel good, look cool, be revered, talk politics, talk factory flaws, solve world problems, walk your dog......fail.

Some customers demand privacy, fairness, selection, and accuracy; they will travel 30 miles to get it.

Friendship, fun, and everything else is "icing on the cake"; aka out of scope.

;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads