Gun Shop Know it all jerks

Discussion in 'Women Shooters' started by OLDNEWBIE, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Theresa Greene

Theresa Greene
    Aloha, OR

No. I have shot since i was a kid. Purchased and sold a few rifles, shotguns (shorties) and quite a few handguns. Even shot competively a bit as an "older lol" adult. I try to listen and learn. Even an idiot can teach you something.

alleyoop, maddog, OLDNEWBIE and 2 others like this.
  2. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon

I met a lady at a match that had gone into a gun store to purchase two Glocks, a third hand gun (forget what) and was met with a know it all behind the counter. He insisted she couldn't handle Glocks, she needed a nice small revolver, the whole bit. This lady has been around guns her entire life and knew exactly what she wanted. She left, went to another store, and spend close to two grand for three guns and a few accessories. She went back to the first store, showed them the receipts, and told them they would have had the sale if they hadn't been such jerks.

3. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

Sadly this is FAR from something "gun shop". All my life I have seen too often "experts" who know nothing. They take a job at a store selling something. So they assume they know everything about what they sell. Just ask them. I often cringe when I hear some moron spouting to some newbie. Especially some woman who is seeking help. I just have learned to shrug and move on. Years ago I was at a Home Depot. With Sister looking for new tank bolts and seal for her toilet. She asked why I don't ask the help. Before I could stop her she did. Kid looked glazed eyed for a second. Then told me they did not sell those. I had to buy a whole new toilet. I kept looking till I found them. Then told my sister "this is why I don't ask the help where to find stuff." :)

4. oknow

oknow
    amboy wa.

I am really surprised that the women who complained about the jerks take the money from you and give the change back to the other half. If you do not let them know they are your other half and you give them money for something and they give the change back to him, have him leave and you stand there, after a little you can ask where your change is? problem solved from then forward for you and other women for that jerk.

If you want to be nice about it you can have the other half come back and give the change back to him alone with a lecture about returning change back to the person who paid for the stuff not someone who was standing beside you.

5. ricsha

ricsha
    Oregon Coast - Lincoln City
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There are some good lessons to be learned in this thread, both for those who work in gun shops, and those who want to jump in and help when a gun shop employee is selling a gun to a customer.o_O

I work at gun sales, part-time (I'm retired) at the largest gun shop on the Oregon coast; and I've seen it all.... Learned a long time ago not to make assumptions about anyone, man or woman. Most of us --not all-- try to find the right gun for the customer, not necessarily what would work for us. I'm not on commission, so if a customer can only afford a Hi-Point, I will gladly point out the features of a Hi-Point, and keep my personal feelings to myself.

I take a lot of pride in being able to help new shooters, especially women, find the right gun that will work for them. And at the risk of blowing my own horn, I'm pretty good at it. (Lessons learned from buying guns for my wife...and making a few mistakes along the way...);)

I'll never forget the couple I met a few months ago; he wanted to buy his wife her first gun. He asked me what we had in "sub-compact 10mm's". I explained to him that there aren't many sub-compact 10's. Yeah, I know that Glock has the 29, but it's really not all that subcompact. If he wanted her to shoot it once, and only once, that might be a good choice. Talked a bit about why the FBI had gone away from the 10mm and even .40S&W's. She was a small woman, and expressed a lot of fear of recoil. We eventually found a good fit for her in a smaller caliber; --but I still wonder how that first shooting lesson would have gone, if he had bought her the sub-compact 10mm!

You can only hope that someone would be there to video it and put it on Utube!

Merry Christmas to all!

6. Riot

Riot
    Benton County, Washington

I never looked at it this way, but I think you really hit the nail on the head. People just don't take the time to be helpful anymore...nobody has the patience to help someone new or naïve to an item or situation.

Many people don't really go to a mechanic until something is wrong with their vehicle.
    Many people don't really go to a gun shop until there's something wrong with their safety.

I guess if you look at it that way instead of "that dumbass doesn't know what they're doing/talking about so I'm going to treat them like a dumbass" you may actually get better results.

Joe13 likes this.
  7. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

I love seeing women shoot too. I'll be the first to admit that most women are damn good shots. Never underestimate a woman with a gun. I've had my money taken by women shooting trap and in other competitive shoots with rifles and pistols. One of the best pistol shooters I've seen is a woman. Ask lilhigbee who it is, that I'm referring to...;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    P7id10T, Medic!, Lilhigbee and 3 others like this.
  8. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Guess we are just plain lucky - EVERY member of staff from our four local gun stores - and the store owners - are members of our gun club, and one way or another represent every aspect of the UK shooting scene. One dealer of Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender and Meopta scopes sent all his staff on factory visits, so that they knew what they were talking about to customers. At least two have also been to the Norma, Tikka and SAKO factories - I should know, I went with them.

tac

jsparks747, Alexx1401 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  9. snarlingdog

snarlingdog
    Oregon City, OR

I always know what I want when I go n to a gun shop but I like acting like I don't know anything and see if the guy I am working with knows anything

10. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

That, Sir, is called baiting. 'snot fair.

tac

Ura-Ki, Camelfilter and AndyinEverson like this.
  11. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.

Life is too short for me to play games to see if the gun counter guy knows his stuff.
    If he tries to sell me his brand of BS , I just decline and buy the BS that I want or works for me.

That being said I will tell folks about my shopping experience and let them decide if they want to shop at a place or not.

Also having been on the receiving end of the:
    "I am acting like I know nothing , but actually do , just to check you out game".
    I can say that it gets old very quick and its not fun for the retailer or when I display my muzzle loader collection.
    Andy

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  12. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

Not being in the business of 'musical gun-buying' like you guys, I know exactly what I want when I go into any gun store.

Reloading supplies, usually, or .22 ammunition from my 10000 round lay-away stock.

About five years ago I bought a pile of shoot-n-sees from an overstock company in OR that will see me out.

Apart from the craic, that's all I go in for.

tac

etrain16 likes this.
  13. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

QFT. I treat the salesperson with respect, and I expect the same in return--if I'm testing you I'll *tell* you so up front, and it'll be something small to minimize waste of your time and mine.

ricsha and AndyinEverson like this.
  14. Oregon Rob

Oregon Rob
    washington county

Some years ago there was a young woman who worked in the sporting goods area at the local Bimart and a couple of different times I saw customers treat here as if she didn’t know much. She then went on to drowned them with detailed info and thus prove their assumption as incorrect. I just smiled and walked away.:D

15. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

I agree that is a waste of time. I also don't like playing those games. I'm also one that treats you with respect until you pizz me off and I have a reason to do otherwise...

Ura-Ki, Diamondback and AndyinEverson like this.
  16. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

You are under the microscope right now. What does that matter? There's no law against that, last I heard.
    Quit your own agitating/scrutiny and put down that microscope.
    I think it's up to anyone to educate their own self and who cares what anyone else "thinks". People always "think".

Medic! likes this.
  17. joken

joken
    Corvallis

I was at the range one day and the only other person there was a woman in her 30's with a spankin' new M&P .40. I was watching her to make sure I was safe and soon struck up a conversation. She was having issues with the recoil and told me that she was going to buy a 9mm, but the guy at the gun store convinced her that a .40 was better.

18. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon

Well, I hope you watch all the people at the range to make sure you are safe, and not just the women. ;)

19. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX
    West of Portland from England
    Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

At least you didn't go imposing yourself on her, according to your report at least :)
    interesting and annoying that gunshops are talking people into calibres instead of giving information about the differences.

20. Angie

Angie
    Reno, NV

That's a bummer. This is why I ALWAYS recommend that women (any first time purchaser) rent several brands and calibers before buying. I am so glad I did that. I had a .38 for years that I hated. Terrible recoil, couldn't hit anything, long, heavy trigger. So I never shot it. Probably had less than 100 rounds through it when I got rid of it. Tried .380, 9mm, .40 and settled on the 9. I've shot .45, but love my 9. I knew going into the store exactly what I wanted and there was no argument from the sales guy.