JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
[QUOTE="Swedish K, post: 1613462, member:
<snip>

It is unfortunate that this occurs, though I recall it happening at a sporting goods store back in Colorado when I lived there - gal had bought ammo at one store then walked into the second store, loaded while counter guy was answering the phone and that was it. Wonder if they got the gun back from evidence and if so was it sold as used?[/QUOTE]

I bought a S&W 59 on a great deal this way. Old Montgomery Wards store. They were getting rid of all hand guns due to this. Guy walked up asked to see gun. When clerk handed it to him he loaded it and shot himself there at the counter. So store had all the guns priced to go. Often wish I had kept that 59.

LOL!!! I don't see the holster as a problem! What kind of thigh would it take to hide a Glock 26? :eek: I would be enraged if that happened to us! I tend to stick with her in "man" places.

My wife can handle herself pretty well, she was new to guns at the time which was the issue. That interaction led her to believe some of the stereotypes about guys who own guns. Although she akso thought guys like that were a good reason to carry one.

Again, this is a 'mercan thang. I've not encountered a gun-store jerk over here, where folks are lot more circumspect in their dealings with total strangers doing something as important as buying a gun.

I guess that if, as it seems to be for most of you, an almost daily occurrence, then we'd be a lot more open, but scathing of a man or woman's choice of gun, insulting, even? I don't think so - Brits are just not like that, and PERlease don't quote me Benny Hill or Monty Python - when they were around I wasn't in the country.

tac

:D I still like Kieths! No smart azzes, but they are in a hurry! They are always busy, so know what you want and spit it out! The counter people want efficiency, that's what I want too! Not a place to loll about fondling firearms, but the get on with it mindset there gets the sales done and that reflects on the most reasonable prices! :D
No kidding. The few times I've dealt with them over the phone or in person it's invariably almost a frantic affair.. they are doing three things at once and want you convey what the heck you're on about yesterday.. snap snap! They take care of business, bless their hearts. Great store.

I had two instances at Sportman's Wharehouse recently (two of the three, actually).

First Instance, the guy behind the counter kept trying to sell me a gun for defense purposes when I specifically stated I wanted an all metal for target shooting... told me several instances in which somebody wanted or could have used a gun for self defense, and was graphic in details (I'll spare you all the details). When I asked which had a better accuracy rating, he suggested that was all based on experience and proper form/grip. I understand that, but I'm pretty sure that some guns are more accurate than others. Maybe the gun is more accurate than I am, but I still wanted one which tested better. What really got me was what he did while telling me this. He had loaded a snap cap into a Springfield XD and began waving and jerking the gun around in my face, and my girlfriend's face, looking down the sights at us. Needless to say I probably won't be buying anything behind that counter.
The second instance I was looking for a shotgun for my father in law's birthday, probably a Mosberg 500, and all the clerks were busy. As I waited to see what they had i over heard a conversation a guy and his gf were having with the clerk. She was looking for a target pistol, and another customer overheard their conversation. The random customer asked what it was for and was told the gun was for target shooting, but would be around for self defense just in case. The random guy paused and the couple went about their conversation with the clerk. The random guy then blurted out "OF ALL THE GUNS YOU SHOULD GET, IT SHOULD BE A .357 REVOLVER, BECAUSE THEY DON'T TAKE AS MUCH TRAINING AND ARE THE MOST RELIABLE..." well he went on like that for about ten minutes. I just chuckled at the spectacle that seems all too common. Needless to say they left without making a purchase and upset.
SO YES, I feel like there are a lot of people out there inadvertently determined to drive people away from the sport of shooting and other related hobbies for no good reason. Guns are personal things, let the owner decide. If you're going to give input, ask if it's appropriate. You wouldn't go up to somebody buying clothes or groceries and tell them "that's not fair trade" or "that has corn in it, you'll age faster"... unless ya know, you've got something to prove and nobody to listen to it.
Sorry for the rant, but that was pi$$ing me off.

Last Edited:
Just avoid sportsman's wharehouse, I say this because I had two instances there recently (two of the three, actually).

First Instance, the guy behind the counter kept trying to sell me a gun for defense purposes when I specifically stated I wanted an all metal for target shooting... told me several instances in which somebody wanted or could have used a gun for self defense, and was graphic in details (I'll spare you all the details). When I asked which had a better accuracy rating, he suggested that was all based on experience and proper form/grip. I understand that, but I'm pretty sure that some guns are more accurate than others. Maybe the gun is more accurate than I am, but I still wanted one which tested better. What really got me was what he did while telling me this. He had loaded a snap cap into a Springfield XD and began waving and jerking the gun around in my face, and my girlfriend's face, looking down the sights at us. Needless to say I probably won't be buying anything behind that counter.
The second instance I was looking for a shotgun for my father in law's birthday, probably a Mosberg 500, and all the clerks were busy. As I waited to see what they had i over heard a conversation a guy and his gf were having with the clerk. She was looking for a target pistol, and another customer overheard their conversation. The random customer asked what it was for and was told the gun was for target shooting, but would be around for self defense just in case. The random guy paused and the couple went about their conversation with the clerk. The random guy then blurted out "OF ALL THE GUNS YOU SHOULD GET, IT SHOULD BE A .357 REVOLVER, BECAUSE THEY DON'T TAKE AS MUCH TRAINING AND ARE THE MOST RELIABLE..." well he went on like that for about ten minutes. I just chuckled at the spectacle that seems all too common. Needless to say they left without making a purchase and upset.
SO YES, I feel like there are a lot of people out there inadvertently determined to drive people away from the sport of shooting and other related hobbies for no good reason. Guns are personal things, let the owner decide. If you're going to give input, ask if it's appropriate. You wouldn't go up to somebody buying clothes or groceries and tell them "that's not fair trade" or "that has corn in it, you'll age faster"... unless ya know, you've got something to prove and nobody to listen to it.

First off just wanted to say wow... just wow. I cannot belive the clerk would take out his hand gun, put in a snap cap and point it at you and your GFs face.

The first thing I would've done would instantly tell him to put his gun back or down. Followed by chewed his A$$ out, And possibly even called the police as that would make me feel very threatened.

People like that have no reason being around a guns let alone selling them!
Can you imagine an oops thought that was the snap cap round while you or your gf were shot in the head.

I'm glad to hear neither of you we're shot in the face. That's just stupidity and dangerous bundled into on package there. That's is why I prefer ma and pa shops as they usually have more common sense...usually.

Which sportmans warehouse was it at? I want to make sure I never go to that one especially.

Jp

82nd Ave. it's the old guy who wears the old army cap and safari shorts... feel bad 'cause he just has a screw loose. Tho you're right, it would only take some maroon paint and you couldn't tell the difference... unless you think about the weight every time you pick up a round. I informed a good clerk to inform the manager later. Don't want to cause a seen with a guy like that. LoL
"HERE LET ME SELL YA THIS AT GUN POINT! ISN'T STARING DOWN THE BARREL OF A LOADED GUN INTIMIDATING!" LMFAO

Like I said before, here in yUK you'd better know what you are after before you go to the store. And for a number of reasons.

1. You will have been shooting for at LEAST six months before you can apply for a firearms certificate, and THAT, friends, is for a type and calibre that you've found that you'd like - mainly by trying one out from a fellow shooter in the club.

2. Better check that the store actually has what you want in stock.

Sure you can settle down to a few likely guns - that the dealer actually has, so that you can make up your mind by getting some serious handling done, but here in UK, and in most other countries, too, once that gun is registered to you, that's the deal done and dusted. Walking out of the door with that gun and walking back in a few weeks later saying it's not quite what you wanted is not an option.

Here in UK, if that is what you really must do, then -

1. The RFD takes the gun back off you - with your losing a wad of $$$$$$ in the process.

2. You apply for a variation to your Firearm Certificate [FAC] to replace that gun on a 1-4-1 basis, and then you sit back and wait for it to happen.

Many counties deal with 1-4-1 in a couple of months, sometimes, but not very often, a mite less, but others, Essex, for example, can, and do, take up to 42 weeks to process a request.

So that's why we KNOW what we want...

tac

Ive been around firearms like many here most my life, when I lived in the the soon to be Communist block of Komfornia we could shoot our rifles as kids and never get bugged that was along time ago and I always enjoys the techical part of firearms just like cars love this kinda building, working on stuff like many of you do I am sure.

Most shops are good gun shops, the problem is screening employees sometime it can be hard to find people that are knowledgeable to hire I get that. But it seems the more uneducated a person is at these shops the more they try and explain to me how educated they are. I never push my knowledge as I feel I can always learn something and often do. The same can be said about anything, I can be talking with a guy about firearms and then they gotta pipe up and tell me how the served in 82, I'm like OK thank you for your service and how does that help the conversation we are having about the headspace problem I have on a SKS exactly ?
Now I also am annoyed by the guys that come in a gun store and cringe and laugh at the same time when they are trying to impress the counter person. I like " assault rifle for my wife " stuff like that I try not to smirk.
Around here Coastal is about the nicest place I have seen they are respectful and helpful, Bimart is pretty good too but often are not knowledgeable just cause they have to run a whole sports department, Cabellas as a box store has always been good to us, polite and very respectful to the misses, thats a must. I was in there one time buying a M&P 9 Shield and in the question answer faze about the firearm the man spoke to my wife directly I liked that. Sometimes I have gone places where she is buying a firearm and they talk to her thru me that I do not like because if I was there with my buddy they wouldnt do that. So Kudos to those shops that treat women equal respect love it. I think it boils down to shop and consumers need to act how they would like to be treated it goes so much farther if you put the testosterone in the jar along with the Ego and just talk firearm and shop.:rolleyes:

Just avoid sportsman's wharehouse, I say this because I had two instances there recently (two of the three, actually).

Just wait til you go to a Home Depot and need help. Many clerks don't know anything but will act like they do, and there always seems to be a customer that will bloviate endlessly about things he is not qualified to comment on. Like electrical, plumbing, flooring, lumber, building sheds, whatever!!! :mad:

First off just wanted to say wow... just wow. I cannot belive the clerk would take out his hand gun, put in a snap cap and point it at you and your GFs face.

The first thing I would've done would instantly tell him to put his gun back or down. Followed by chewed his A$$ out, And possibly even called the police as that would make me feel very threatened.

People like that have no reason being around a guns let alone selling them!
Can you imagine an oops thought that was the snap cap round while you or your gf were shot in the head.

I'm glad to hear neither of you we're shot in the face. That's just stupidity and dangerous bundled into on package there. That's is why I prefer ma and pa shops as they usually have more common sense...usually.

Which sportmans warehouse was it at? I want to make sure I never go to that one especially.

Jp

Put him on the ground right away... this is beyond jerk!!!!

I got a kick out of reading through this thread.. So true, all of it! Salesmen just don't listen. This is true everywhere, not just gun shops.

People are developing autism from spending too much time in the world's ultimate echo chamber, aka "the internet". It's never more fascinating than when I'm trying to buy something and some jacka* won't stop talking about himself, and what he likes.

Recently I've been browsing .380 pistols and I can't believe how many salesman have tried to dissuade me ("it's a woman's gun"). What does that even mean? It's not like I'm asking to try on woman's underwear. If it's a woman's gun then please demonstrate on your foot that it's harmless, and I will buy something else.

Playing the devil's advocate... Can you imagine how many know it all jerks the gun shops have to endure? And when they run out of smile, and run out of patience, they become the jerks.:D

WAYNO.

I got a kick out of reading through this thread.. So true, all of it! Salesmen just don't listen. This is true everywhere, not just gun shops.

People are developing autism from spending too much time in the world's ultimate echo chamber, aka "the internet". It's never more fascinating than when I'm trying to buy something and some jacka* won't stop talking about himself, and what he likes.

Recently I've been browsing .380 pistols and I can't believe how many salesman have tried to dissuade me ("it's a woman's gun"). What does that even mean? It's not like I'm asking to try on woman's underwear. If it's a woman's gun then please demonstrate on your foot that it's harmless, and I will buy something else.

I never ask to try on women's underwear. I just wear it Madonna style outside my carpenter jeans.:eek::D

Playing the devil's advocate... Can you imagine how many know it all jerks the gun shops have to endure? And when they run out of smile, and run out of patience, they become the jerks.:D

WAYNO.

I am sure allot, as I put in my post I think both sides can be and annoyance.
Consumers can be demanding and whinny. And Sellers can be well thats been covered LOL

When I walk into a Gun shop that I am unknown at, I simply don't say much. This tends to make them think I have no clue. I don't mind them thinking this at all. Once they are done trying to make me look at all of the crap, I then let them know what I am there for. Then I let them show me what I want them to show me. It is like politely educating them on what I like and expect if I show up the next time. I have found that if I walk into their shop and don't let them get their opinion out, the more likely it is that they want nothing more than to show me the door. Remember, they want to be the experts no matter what.

When I walk into a Gun shop that I am unknown at, I simply don't say much. This tends to make them think I have no clue. I don't mind them thinking this at all. Once they are done trying to make me look at all of the crap, I then let them know what I am there for. Then I let them show me what I want them to show me. It is like politely educating them on what I like and expect if I show up the next time. I have found that if I walk into their shop and don't let them get their opinion out, the more likely it is that they want nothing more than to show me the door. Remember, they want to be the experts no matter what.
Guess I don't have a future behind a gun counter... the more my customer knows about the subject, and the more of my job they do for me (assuming they do it right so I don't have a ton of rework), the happier I am. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top