JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like we need to start a Member Resource list of Shops With Lacking Customer Service To Enter At Own Risk...
There is. Check out the reviews section on the website. Lots of shops are listed.

<broken link removed>

True, but I was thinking specifically a Blacklist rather than just relying on "looking for 1- and 2-star reviews." :)
Agreed, the downside would be using one persons biased or unbiased review as a sole reason to go or not to go somewhere.

I'd rather use a large sample of people myself for an average. If they fall consistently below average then sure, don't go. But if everyone has stellar experiences except for one butthole and that butthole trashes the places. Some more than 40 positives... what's the point? A weighted average is what you want. Throw out the highs, toss the lows and read what's in the middle.

Over here in yUK we tend to know what we want before we've gone into the store. Regardless of what sex we are.

This is for a number of reasons.

Ignoring handguns [except in Northern Ireland] most folks are looking for a shotgun or a rifle.

1. Here in yUK every noob has to do either three or six months probie time in their gun club before they can apply for the gun license.

2. Because of that, the probie has had a lot of time to shoot everything that the gun club members have to shoot, and is very much encouraged to do so. The probie also log the types and calibres, too, so that the PTB in the gun club can see that the probie is getting experience in gun handling of all kinds. I'm just one shooter, and I have about every action you can think of to experience - bolt, straight-pull, Martini tilting block, high wall falling block, semi-auto, muzzle-loading - that kind of thing.

3. They can only buy what they have applied for, in type and calibre, say a .308Win calibre rifle or carbine, or a .44 black powder handgun.

4. Buying a shotgun means going into a store that mainly sells shotguns, and getting fitted and maybe trying out a few guns - no pressure, just lots of knowledge.

The yUK has a goodly number of custom rifle shops - Dolphin Arms, Norman Clark and Valkyrie are not far from us, and one of our members is the UK importer for Desert Tech Arms of Utah. They cater for those folks with the funds to back up their 'wants' in F Class, F-TR, CSR and so on.

Buying a rifle for bunny-busting or deer is a matter of personal choice, too. Again, there is no pushing you into buying a spiffy Mauser, when a Howa would do what you want at 1/3 the price.

So basically, there is nobody here in yUK going into a gun store who has NEVER held a gun or shot a gun, before in their lives, unlike the USA. The very first thing that the dealer will ask for is to see your FAC [gun license] so that HE or SHE can see that at the least, you won't go waving a gun around the store and other customers.

Those who DO go in cold are pointed

a. At the nearest gun club, and

b. At the door.

And politely asked to come back when they have joined the club or organised shoot and got themselves authorised.

Most folks, in my experience, who get interested in shooting as a leisure activity walk into the local gun-store and ask about the local clubs, and get details from the guy behind the counter. They NEVER get to hold ANY kind of cartridge-firing firearm. This is because here in yUK it is an offence for an unlicensed person to hold a live firearm except in a gun store, or as one-day gun club guest member on a club guest day. Even a gun-show where the stall-holder is standing right there with you to ensure that you don't do something stupid, gun-handling by unlicensed members of the public has had to be blanket authorised.

tac

I had an experience that gave me pause and had me wondering, is it just me? I recently inherited some aging and sad looking guns from my grandfather and father, things that had been in the family A LONG time. These are not my first guns, nor will they be the last, they are just new to me. They needed some TLC so off I shuffled to my local gun shop - my husband and I made the day of it. While we were picking out supplies and discussing our soon-to-be-purchase a helpful employee (we will call him #1) came over to talk to us. The gents chatted a bit and we shared our day's plan. The hub and I had been discussing bluing vs. other restoration options (we are dealing with some rusty pieces). #1 knew his business, however, anytime I asked a question he would answer but would never look at me. Another employee approached (#2) and shared some more information about some services they offer, again, only talking/looking at my husband. I was speaking/understanding the language and answering the questions that my husband didn't know the answers too (albeit not many - more or less the history of them). When it came time to pay for our supplies I handed #1 my money. When he handed back the change he reached over me and handed it to my husband. That was the confirmation, I was invisible. It's not always like that but definitely sometimes. It's frustrating, infuriating, perplexing and aggravating but I am confident with who I am and my limited (but growing) knowledge and **** 'em if they can't see it. I prefer to shop unassisted anyway (mostly) so it really cuts out the "may I help you find something" routine, as long as they don't hand my change to a random male stranger standing near me ;)

I had an experience that gave me pause and had me wondering, is it just me? I recently inherited some aging and sad looking guns from my grandfather and father, things that had been in the family A LONG time. These are not my first guns, nor will they be the last, they are just new to me. They needed some TLC so off I shuffled to my local gun shop - my husband and I made the day of it. While we were picking out supplies and discussing our soon-to-be-purchase a helpful employee (we will call him #1) came over to talk to us. The gents chatted a bit and we shared our day's plan. The hub and I had been discussing bluing vs. other restoration options (we are dealing with some rusty pieces). #1 knew his business, however, anytime I asked a question he would answer but would never look at me. Another employee approached (#2) and shared some more information about some services they offer, again, only talking/looking at my husband. I was speaking/understanding the language and answering the questions that my husband didn't know the answers too (albeit not many - more or less the history of them). When it came time to pay for our supplies I handed #1 my money. When he handed back the change he reached over me and handed it to my husband. That was the confirmation, I was invisible. It's not always like that but definitely sometimes. It's frustrating, infuriating, perplexing and aggravating but I am confident with who I am and my limited (but growing) knowledge and **** 'em if they can't see it. I prefer to shop unassisted anyway (mostly) so it really cuts out the "may I help you find something" routine, as long as they don't hand my change to a random male stranger standing near me ;)

When O when will Opinionated Gunshop Guy learn that Opinionated Gunshop Gal is the one calling the shots?

The thing with giving change to the male is not limited to gun stores or even any general male enclaves. I've stuck out my hand (to pick on the wifely unit periodically) in female enclaves (fabric stores, female clothing shops, etc.) and they will hand me the change, regardless of the gender of the clerk.

I guess it's from too many years of dealing with the stereotype.

elsie

Don't let it get you down, Pasty! Some of these guys, especially the older ones, have never learn to deal with women. Women terrify them! Sad but true! Remember, they're much more scared of you! LOL!!!
'Course, some of them are just complete Richard Heads!!! ;)

The thing with giving change to the male is not limited to gun stores or even any general male enclaves. I've stuck out my hand (to pick on the wifely unit periodically) in female enclaves (fabric stores, female clothing shops, etc.) and they will hand me the change, regardless of the gender of the clerk.

I guess it's from too many years of dealing with the stereotype.

elsie

I guess it was just the combination of things that made me feel a little weird - you are absolutely right it's not limited to gun stores. Just sharing my recent experience.

My short stint in the Gun shop business taught me to treat every one the exact same way. I used to have a bit of a loyal following of ladies because I would treat them with the same respect I would treat any one who walked in to that shop! It's isn't even hard to do! I honestly cant understand the sexest thing in gun shops!

#1 knew his business, however, anytime I asked a question he would answer but would never look at me. Another employee approached (#2) and shared some more information about some services they offer, again, only talking/looking at my husband. I was speaking/understanding the language and answering the questions that my husband didn't know the answers too (albeit not many - more or less the history of them). When it came time to pay for our supplies I handed #1 my money. When he handed back the change he reached over me and handed it to my husband. That was the confirmation, I was invisible.
PP, if some Gun Kounter Kommando had been pulling that on my gal, I would have looked him in the eye, given him an "if you can't talk to HER and don't want HER business then you can't talk to ME and don't want MINE," and driven on to the next shop.

This is going to seem a little sexist, but this is why I tend to prefer shops that I know have at least one woman on staff (and I don't mean secretarial but On Sales Floor), because it means there's someone around who's outside the Gud Ole Boyz Club who understands the importance of being able to deal with "non-traditional" demographics. (Like the bookish Geeky Poindexter crowd I fit into, for example. LOL)

Only an idiot would not realize that if a man is there WITH his wife that the purchases must be CLEARED by his wife. Almost every time I've been in a gun store with my wife we are shopping for her. I make that clear from the get go to any sales clerk and tell them SHE is the decision maker, I'm only there to prevent her from being talked into a bad decision. Otherwise SHE drives the conversation and purchase. I also take a couple of steps away from them - close enough to listen for salesman BS, but far enough away to not be a part of the conversation.

The Gun Shop I hang out at has about a 40% female customer base! This should be the standard, not the exception! Part of the reason for this ratio is the fact that the owner understands, Women are taking more responsibilities for their own safety and are more likely to make a purchase and return for more business because he EMPOWERS them with good knowledge and wisdom! His wife also works at the store and is very much involved with the sales, and this fact isn't lost on the customers!

For some reason that reminds me of one of the things I'd like to do if I ever find myself running a gun shop: should a customer find themselves wanting to learn about the intellectual "why things are done the way they are" side of things, offer an internship program, something like five hours behind the counter gets you a one-purchase 5%-off voucher. Or for the already knowlegeable a "guest-instructor workshop" program on similar terms, trying to encourage people to learn more and share what they learn.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews