JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jerkiness is a problem that will be solved by the free market (such as it is).

What annoys me is going into Cabelas to look at rifles. They are way out of reach, with small print on the tags so I can't even see the caliber no matter how good my glasses are. It's almost as if they don't really want to sell rifles. Their pistol selection is set up much better, you can get a good look at what they offer.

I miss the old Gun Broker that used to be in Tigard. Very easy to look at the guns, and a nice friendly atmosphere too.

Jerkiness is a problem that will be solved by the free market (such as it is).

What annoys me is going into Cabelas to look at rifles. They are way out of reach, with small print on the tags so I can't even see the caliber no matter how good my glasses are. It's almost as if they don't really want to sell rifles. Their pistol selection is set up much better, you can get a good look at what they offer.

I miss the old Gun Broker that used to be in Tigard. Very easy to look at the guns, and a nice friendly atmosphere too.
On the other hand Cabelas has the used and vintage rifles out in the open for all to handle.
I've got to feel more than a few "less common" items they've put out there with no salesmen hassling me.
And again I'd have to say Cabalas is female friendly overall. Plenty of women on the staff as well.

Man... Its a shame theres no money in guns. I'd open my own shop.

I run a business... Despite my sometimes abrasive personality, i guaran-bubbleguming-tee you ive never, EVER had a client/customer walk away from a transaction with me thinking "jeez, freaken jerk/know it all/bubblegum/prick/etc"

Never.

Its just not that hard, man! Be nice, be respectful, dont make assumptions! Easy recipe for 100% satisfied customers.

Ill also add: the fact that theres no money in guns is probably a huge part of why customer service is so atrocious in guns. What do you make on any given transaction? $20? $40? Lots of guys would rather gratify their own ego for 5 minutes than make $30

I've been in several shops the past three years and they think what they have is meant to pay their rent with one sale. Shops like that I don't even begin to act like I'm interested in what they have. I can see making profit. That's the name of the game. But to have everything marked full retail, no effin way. Cabelas is famous for high prices and idiots with fat wallets too.

I've been in several shops the past three years and they think what they have is meant to pay their rent with one sale. Shops like that I don't even begin to act like I'm interested in what they have. I can see making profit. That's the name of the game. But to have everything marked full retail, no effin way. Cabelas is famous for high prices and idiots with fat wallets too.
My wallet is as thin as they come LOL!
I've made some good gun and ammo deals at Cabelas. Just have to wait for sales.

ts just not that hard, man! Be nice, be respectful, dont make assumptions! E

Unfortunately, people and kids aren't taught that anymore except for the rarer and rarer exception. Otherwise this would be the country we had in the 50's.

@Cogs, Bill has a great kid;) and taught him right - it's nice to enteract with him. If only everyone did the same then family values would still be the norm and not the exception IMO.

:s0137:

My wallet is as thin as they come LOL!
I've made some good gun and ammo deals at Cabelas. Just have to wait for sales.

Friends daughter bought a .270 rifle of some kind. $350 rifle, then the service guy ringing her up gave her the sale price, plus removed the cost of the mail in rebate and then still gave her the mail in rebate form. I think she paid $150-170 for it in the end.

The reg price on clothes and gear seems high to me but a lot of those brands are way out of my league anyway.
Back to the subject though. I'd say Cabela's or some other large sporting store would seem more welcoming to a woman than a smaller gun store with regular "good old boy" customers.
Even I am uncomfortable the first time walking in to a small gun shop. Especially if I have no real purpose other then to see if they have something interesting.

I have no problem with pawn shops though for some reason.

Let's trade please. A local one caused me to not buy a sling and knife because one of the employees acted like a know-it-all and a tough guy.

I'm an a-hole, but at least I'm not as bad as that kid was.
Salesmanship/customer service in general is dying in this Country. I don't have high expectations but am still shocked when the clerk, sales staff or waiter etc. acts like I'm bothering them.

Ladies and minorities.....
Sometimes it's not racism or sexism. Sometimes it's just an A-hole jerk behind the counter and he treats everybody with disrespect.

The pawn shops in my area generally know what they have and what to ask for it to not make it a smoking deal so I rarely spend any time in them.

I have done some transfers at tropical pawn and the people at both locations I've visited have been friendly and helpful - even for just a $20 bill and I'm guessing they don't get that whole piece of pie.

Ladies and minorities.....
Sometimes it's not racism or sexism. Sometimes it's just an A-hole jerk behind the counter and he treats everybody with disrespect.

Not to argue the point but ladies do have it harder at gun shops and auto repair places and many others if my and my wife's experience for 22 years is the norm.

She won't even bother to deal with a mechanic other then the one we know personally that can do most jobs but not all.

We see it time and time again.

But yea, some of them are just a-holes as you say. I had one guy treat me so poorly over the phone (that has yet to happen when I am face to face with someone for some reason lol) that I had to send my best friend to the repair shop with my wife because I was seeing red and in no shape to deal with the guy.

This is totally a problem in a number of so called or formally "male only" hobbies. Heck it is a big issue in the industry I work in which was male dominated historically. I was raised in a very DIY type family and taught to question everything and learn about it whenever possible. Fix it yourself or get someone else to but make sure you get whats going on and don't get ripped off. Generally when I'm in a gunshop or at a gun club I look for the oldest kindest looking guy in the place - assuming there isn't a female working there. I can save myself hours of explanations. I am really grateful for those older mellow guys with no agenda, they taught me so much that you can't learn from a tacticool teenager. By way of treating me well they ended up with a lot of my money over the years, especially kitterytradingpost.com when I lived out that way. Next thing you know I had tried out pretty much one of type of gun they had, traded it in at a reasonable price and proceeded on my semi-self education. Probably 120 firearms total. I kept the ones that really worked for me and traded the rest. Probably not a luxury many have, but I feel really lucky and felt well treated. Next thing you know I'm reloading and casting lead bullets for weekend steel plate matches. Now a number of friends drag me along for everything from getting car repairs to picking/shooting a first firearm.

On the other hand Cabelas has the used and vintage rifles out in the open for all to handle.
I've got to feel more than a few "less common" items they've put out there with no salesmen hassling me.
And again I'd have to say Cabalas is female friendly overall. Plenty of women on the staff as well.

I think your on to something with the "out in the open" idea. I think being around them like this makes them less scary to the uninitiated and doesn't have to come with a long immediate explanation of why its the "wrong gun" when you have not even finished browsing.

I think your on to something with the "out in the open" idea. I think being around them like this makes them less scary to the uninitiated and doesn't have to come with a long immediate explanation of why its the "wrong gun" when you have not even finished browsing.
I kinda hate "being watched" when I'm doing a task or trying to figure something out or looking at and handling a firearm I might want to buy.
I was at a gunshow once where all the merchandise was laid out on a table and secured with long cables so you could grip them without being hassled. The salesman sat quietly in a chair and only talked if you had a question.
Best case scenario for me! I'm way more likely to impulse buy that way.
Come to think of it maybe that's a worse case $cenario!:eek:

Try being a foreigner like me. I bet it's tenfold. They talk to me like i'm dumb until I show them up and make them look like complete asses! The looks on people's faces is all worth it!

I learned long ago , while working at a pawn shop to never assume anything about my customers.
Once we had a gal come in and ask for me.
She was moving to Alaska and wanted a gun for bears.
After talking with her for a bit , and finding out that she wasn't into handguns or shotguns , but really liked rifles , I showed her a Marlin 1895 in .45.70
As she was checking the Marlin out , a fella who had been listening with a smug look of distain suggested with a know-it-all tone that she buy the S&W model 29 in the case and be done with it.
Her answer was priceless :
Do you work here?
No.
Is your name Andy?
No.
Did I even ask you what gun to buy?
No.
Then shut up and leave me alone.
She bought the Marlin. That was a great day.
Andy
Ok I'll tango. My sister was looking for a .30-06 and she asked me to come along.We were in a pawn shop (can't remember what it was called) and a guy came over to help us. He asked us what we were looking for and my sister said a Remington model 700 Mountain SS. She ended up buying the gun but the guy started to get really creepy (in a sexual way) with her. He continued to get REALLY close to her while she was looking at scopes and even tried to touch her a few times. The last time he tried to touch her he succeeded but accidentally touched her Ruger LCP. I have never seen a guy move so fast before.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top