JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a new gun safe ( BIGGER ) . It seems that all the models that I am interested have what they call a electronic locking mech. For some reason this really makes me question if this is a good idea. Anything I have ever had electronic has always gone on the fritz.

Anyone have an opinion on the electronic safe parts?

They are rather handy if you are accessing the safe a lot. Changing the code is a snap.
Any quality combination dial like a Sergeants & Greenleaf will have a key that locks the dial and allows easy access also, but changing the combination is more difficult.
There are YouTube videos showing how thieves drill a small hole and fish out the wires that when jumped with the 9v battery will unlock the safe.
I took the inside door panel off, and used a lot of hot glue to cover the wires and make it a lot harder for some thief to try and fish them out.

They are rather handy if you are accessing the safe a lot. Changing the code is a snap.
Any quality combination dial like a Sergeants & Greenleaf will have a key that locks the dial and allows easy access also, but changing the combination is more difficult.
There are YouTube videos showing how thieves drill a small hole and fish out the wires that when jumped with the 9v battery will unlock the safe.
I took the inside door panel off, and used a lot of hot glue to cover the wires and make it a lot harder for some thief to try and fish them out.

Well shoot, If I go with a electronic lock, I might be the one drilling it to open the silly thing up!

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and having to grab your weapon. Can you do it reliably, quickly and quietly? If the place is dark, you probably do not want to be searching for the keys and then the keyhole, or trying to blindly find the key combination - this is when one of those newer biometric (fingerprint-based) safes can be handy. If you go with that, make sure the model has a "battery low" indicator.

I would go with a dial and key.A coworker of mine had a digital keypad type and the board failed in it twice,he was verry frustrated.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and having to grab your weapon. Can you do it reliably, quickly and quietly? If the place is dark, you probably do not want to be searching for the keys and then the keyhole, or trying to blindly find the key combination - this is when one of those newer biometric (fingerprint-based) safes can be handy. If you go with that, make sure the model has a "battery low" indicator.

Well heaven help anyone who wakes me up in the middle of the night from a deep sleep! Even my dog knows better then to do that! If that were to happen I do not need a gun.................. I usually go straight to the nuclear option!

Or you could get a GunVault to secure your home defense weapon. I don't know of too many people who actually have their gigantic gun safe in their bedroom.

Or you could get a GunVault to secure your home defense weapon. I don't know of too many people who actually have their gigantic gun safe in their bedroom.

I do - in the closet space adjacent to the master bedroom :) The master bedroom, lockable and big, is a good place for family members to barricade themselves and use the heavy artillery, if needed.

However, I also use GunVault ("mini") for quick bedside access to pistols. They are easy to operate in darkness, if needed.

I do :) A good place for shotguns is the master bedroom where family members could barricade themselves and use the heavy artillery.

However, I also use GunVault ("mini") for quick bedside access to pistols. They are easy to operate in darkness, if needed.

And generally easy for a bad guy to leave the house with it, if it isn't bolted solidly.

And generally easy for a bad guy to leave the house with it, if it isn't bolted solidly.

Yes, it should be bolted. As for the bad guy: I would rather part with all my weapons than put my family members at risk. If the bad guy comes when they are home I do not want him to be standing between them and the safe (kept in the garage or some other remote corner) - I want the safe where it may be needed.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and having you weapons locked up!! Never going to happen to me, A locked up gun is worse than one with the ammo locked up, at least if you have the gun you can throw it at them!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top