JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Couple thoughts on safes. First price. There are things you put in a $500 safe and there are things you put in a $4500 safe. Both have a place.
I have years of experiance with both type locks. The eletronic locks are fast to open. However. Get your sequence off or otherwise screw up three attempts to enter the combo and you are locked out for five minutes. Not good! Allso a EMP will fry your eletronics. Likely to happen? No. but who wants to be cuting into there safe to get to there own guns. While the Koreans are landing outside.
The mechanical lock is slower but simple. Just like me.
I have and like both. But have diferent things in each type. With some overlap in content. Just in case.

let me share with you a couple of considerations about being over... uhm...50 (yeah, 50):

you cannot open a safe with dial lock by touch.

you can open a safe with keypad by touch though there is a chance it can go on the fritz if it is a low quality model. so just select a high quality model.

so think of the trade-offs. when a little sleepy or if visually impaired to a slight degree, how can you continue to gain access to the contents of your safe?

I had a quality dial lock, but i found I had to keep glasses on hand (or on my head). so I paid to have it converted to electronic. have had this for past 8 yrs. no problems so far.

I have a safe with a Sargent & Greenleaf dial, and it has a key that locks the dial.
For easy access, I just use the key to unlock the dial. If I am going to be away for any length of time, I spin the combo and also lock the dial.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and having you weapons locked up!! Never going to happen to me, A locked up gun is worse than one with the ammo locked up, at least if you have the gun you can throw it at them!

Yup, the safe is for when I'm not home. When I'm home, it's usually unlocked (it's at the foot of my bed by the TV), and I usually have my shotgun leaning against the wall between the bed and the dresser. And sometimes my SR9 is in the dresser drawer, but not usually, those hollow-points will go thru more walls than the 20ga loaded with #4, and since I live in an apartment, that's something I need to think about. I live alone though, so that's easier for me to get away with unlocked guns around the place than people with children.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top