JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe those of you that own a shop can chime in on how this works?
If it was me and I had a customer waiting I would try to make an effort to find out why or call to try and make the request. The fact they did it over the computer tells me they are just too lazy to take the 2 mins to call, but I don't know the difference to a shop owner. I don't see the put your info in the. Wait. If I wanted to unload that merc I would be trying to push it through or contacting the customer to make some calls.
If it took more than a week I'd be pissed, However, I'd be calling the ATF and finding out what the hold up is and if it was something the shop did or didn't do I'd be blasting them on this forum.
Seems like there's a lot of outfits I've dealt with around here that could care less about customer service.

I do own a shop, albeit in Oregon, not Washington. The process is as follows. When someone decides to buy a gun, they are handed a federal background check form, the infamous 4473. This is the same in all states. Once the customer fills out the first page and signs the second page, then the dealer fills out the rest of the second page and the third page. This is the information regarding the purchasers ID and the gun make/model/caliber/serial number. Up until last year, all background checks in the state of Oregon were done over the phone. During the last few panics, I was working in a big box store and we had to have an extra staff member on to be on hold with OSP. It was taking over an hour some days. Starting last year (or the year before, can't remember), Oregon switched to an online check. The dealer enters in the purchasers information into the computer, then the gun information. If, when the information is submitted, it doesn't match the DMV records, then it spits it back to the buyer information screen. It happens, its a good failsafe. Once the check is submitted, it goes to the state police for clearing. They will on occasion call while doing the background check to clarify something if they have a question. I'm a small shop, and have only had that happen twice this year. The state police can either approve, deny, or delay the transaction. If the transaction is delayed or denied, we are directed to have the customer call the OSP hotline for clarification. The dealer is not told the reason. I've asked, always been told to have the customer call. We can call OSP to conduct a background check, but it usually takes 15 to 20 minutes to get through, so online checks are pretty nice to have. Keeps from having to have extra staff on to be on the phone all the time.

I don't know how Washington is different, maybe someone else can chime in. All I know is that people get delayed. I own a gunshop and got delayed on the last gun I ran a background check on myself for. It happens. If its a continuing issue, request a UPIN.

But like I said, not telling the gunshop that you no longer wish to buy the gun because you got delayed is kind of a punk move. Its more than likely not their fault that you got delayed. It just happens sometimes. They have ZERO control over getting you approved faster. But now they have inventory collecting dust on a shelf because you haven't told them that you no longer wish to buy it. Small store or big, that's not an ethical way to act. This is of course, my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it. But owning a shop and seeing someone act like that is frustrating.

I see your point and can agree. But how long should the buyer on stand by wait?
I mean, if it was me after a week I would be calling OSP/ATF daily looking for answers.
But is there something the shop should be doing if after 3-4 weeks they haven't received anything back? Can you resubmit or check on the order?
Obviously this isn't your average retail transaction

I am. It wasn't a nice experience to begin with. Sales guy put the gun on the counter and stood there as i looked at it. When i asked a question it was a "um i don't know" or " Just a min" as he was on his phone texting. And then it was a "I don't know". Since then i have been to a few small shops like Tacoma Ammo , Federal Way Discount Guns , Bear Arms. They were all helping me and my family out. So much my mom bought a gun, She is not a gun person but they were so nice and informative that they opened her eyes and now is all about shooting. Im sorry i have been in customer service for over 15 years and when you treat your customers like crap and just another sale then i have no respect for then. :s0146:. OK I'm done venting. Nothing towards you Mountain Bear. Just the situation I am in.

Still have not heard a word and now its been a month. I will be going by after my Vacation and seeing what they have heard. :D Hope you all have a great day.:D

CHP (In Oregon it's a Concealed Handgun Permit) is issued on a County level in the State you live in. NICS is "Federal" and doesn't give a hoot about your local level background checks.
I'm squeaky clean and yet got a delay several years ago. I'll never know why I was delayed. That isn't info that will ever be released.

All of this is a pain in the A$$.

My CHL very clearly says Concealed Hangun License. This is for Lane county.

So many red flags... so little time.

A major retailer with a salesman that was distracted by using his smart phone? There had to be more than one salesman right? He obviously wasn't interested in selling a pistol to you so why were you interested in purchasing one from him? I would have asked for a different salesperson or just walked out of the business.
I have walked out of a gun shop before and have no qualms about doing it again. I like to purchase items where I know my business is appreciated. Next time just go to a mom and pop shop. You'll have a much better experience. If the salesperson was truly distracted as you say there were probably mistakes taken or you rubbed the guy the wrong way and didn't process it at all. You won't know until you find out. It's pretty easy to ask to speak with a manager or a business owner and they will get your answer for you.

Additionally taking a passive aggressive approach is never the answer. I have never once been delayed. If I had for any reason I would be trying to find out why. If three days passed with no answer, I would calmly walk into the store and inquire about the transaction. If it had still not been processed by that time I would cancel the purchase and attempt it again. On the Washington form it asks for your social security number. It isn't necessary but it also states that not providing it can cause a delay.

Your purchased your pistol somewhere else. You have no intention of purchasing it from the retailer.
Without further delay I would call the business and cancel the purchase.

Thank you for supporting your local gun shops Casey. Those of us with small businesses appreciate it. And I would agree with the poster that said they would be calling the hotline daily, because I would be as well.

My worst so far was a five month delay. The purchaser was delayed until the end of May, then they called me and said until the end of June, then July, then August, then September, etc. Never did get resolved. Most of my delays have lasted about an hour so far.

Well Surprise Surprise Surprise. I had time to call today and wow wouldn't you know it. I asked to talk with a manager. He said its in the not sent on hold area. I guess that's where they place guns people are wanting to buy and have not decided yet. And that (get this) have not ran the background check yet. But told him it was on a delay. He thinks that when they got the response back that they couldn't find it because it was placed in the wrong spot. That might of assumed that they all ready decided not to buy and put it back on the shelf so didn't bother to look anywhere else. Well that was a fun ride. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top