Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Grow Your Own Cooking Oil

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by DeadEyeMcGoo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. DeadEyeMcGoo

DeadEyeMcGoo Seattle Active Member

I had no idea that producing your own sunflower oil was so easy. Its healthier and way cheaper than store-bought too. Now I won't have to fear a time when I can no longer have my deep fried twinkies!

Grow Your Own Cooking Oil

2. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

problem is you'll need hydrogenated vegetable oil to make the filling for the center.

3. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Huge amount of work for a small yield. Make a better barter item than practical use.

In SHTF, butter made from goat milk is going to be the cooking oil. Much more efficient that going after sunflower oil. Sunflowers are a great seed crop for my chickens. Plant them in the ground, water them a few time if possible, if not, no big deal at all. They are a very good moisture extractor,and watering them is not really required. Several hundred Kansas farmers have proven that.

Kind of a pain in the a** to deal with the stalks afterwords, but they burn good in a rocket stove when dried.

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I'll stick with Lard,
    It adds flavor to your food unlike the oils mentioned. Besides when shtf
    who will worry about trans-fat?

5. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

who does now:huh: other than the gooberment.

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Nut trees are the easiest way to grow calories, and most of those are in the form of fats. They're also the densest food in calories per acre.
    I've seen oil presses made from pretty low-tech stuff, and the leftover meal is still plenty good for making bread or even feed for the animals.

Edible oils are probably the most commonly overlooked survival item; dinner would be dismal without dem.

7. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

There are no trans-fats in naturally occurring edible fats. It takes an industrial hydrogenation process to produce them (from cis-fats).

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Flax is another oil crop native to northern climates that has many uses as a fiber, a food and oilseed crop. The oil, if processed into linseed oil is also valuable and important for waterproofing, wood preservation, and many other things.