JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

The Magnum Opus of John Browning

• The 1911...

Votes: 42 54.5%
  • The Auto 5....

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • The 1894....

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • The BAR......

• The Superposed.....

• The Model 12......

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The "Ma Deuce" M2.....

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • The 1886....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Hi-Power....

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other......

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The M2 has made the greatest impact of any Browning design, in more ways than one. Still in service and still an amazing weapon.
If you can keep one running long enough, it's wicked. Have one bust a timing key or shear off various parts when you need it, and you grow to sort of hate the darn thing. The -A2 was somewhat improved, but not by much. Ever have to hump one up hill or the the sand several miles, and you wish it were a m1919 or something else!!

If you can keep one running long enough, it's wicked. Have one bust a timing key or shear off various parts when you need it, and you grow to sort of hate the darn thing. The -A2 was somewhat improved, but not by much. Ever have to hump one up hill or the the sand several miles, and you wish it were a m1919 or something else!!

Maybe Kimber could slick one up with a bunch of MIM parts?

There is still no argument that John Moses Browning was the greatest, or at least the most prolific and successful firearm designers of all time. Samuel, Mikhail, and Peter-Paul would no doubt agree.
It was hard to choose between the 1911 and the 1894 Winnie. There are of course others on the list obviously and more than a few that didnt make that list... I didnt go with my personal favorite, the BHP, because Browning didnt get to finish that wonderful device.. Went with the 1911 because of it's unending manufacture in the States and elsewhere and it's constant use by civilians and the US military since 1911. Even today, 30 years after being dropped as the official sidearm it is still in use by special force groups who have the freedom to choose their preferred weapon. The 1911 is still a firearm of choice by many civilians in spite of the fact that there are many more modern and perhaps user-friendly pistols available. In spite of carrying a Glock 21 these days there are still 2 Colt 1911's in my safe.
John Moses Browning- the Mystique Continues!

An awefull lot of people accused Browning of stealing Hiram Maxim' s designs for the machine guns, and I know there was a lot of delays in Brownings work because of this, but Browning was way more advanced then Maxim, and maxim pretty much quit after having so much sucess with his designs.
I often wondered what would have happened if Maxim had kept going!

Sorry folks, but the High Power doesn't belong on the list!!! JM Browning didn't actually design it, and he passed away before the designs had even been completed and tested! It was his idea as an improvement of the 1911 that he felt would make a better pistol then his earlier design for which he was never quite satisfied with, especially after the Army requested significant changes to his pure design!
As I remember it the problem in designing the High Power was to not infringe on the M1911 Patents that had been sold to Colt. That is the reason it is so complicated in comparison.

wm_1533661.jpg

The Rem 11 was better. The Big 50 probably had and has the most impact, (pun intended!) with the world. Probably will be around for a long time. Kinda like but totally unrelated to the Boeing B52. Iconic. American.

As I remember it the problem in designing the High Power was to not infringe on the M1911 Patents that had been sold to Colt. That is the reason it is so complicated in comparison.

It's a damn shame too because i have never rapid fired a pistol that could achieve as tight a 13 shot group as a Hi-Power. The lack of the barrel link and its two pins was a great improvement (and copied by SIG) but the trigger assembly and magazine disconnect are abominable. Can't beat the frame shape though, especially with a well fitted pair of Craig Spegel grip panels.

The 9 mm Browning HIgh Power is amazing. Also the only pistol I can shoot and hit with the fastest and closest. Just something about the grip and muzzle flip. Very comfy. Very controllable.

The .45 Springfield Armory XD 5" T TS double stack shoots a very close second, but shooting high speed strings it tends to rise too much. Also a wide grip presentation. Pick and choose. I like the BHP.

The answer is simple.
It's the M2.
It has helped to allow us the leisure time to play with everything else.

:)
I was going to say the M2 also but the 1911 he made himself I don't think he was still alive when the M2 came out correct me if I'm wrong but any way both guns have the B NAME FOR EVER

There are so many great guns using the Browning name now of course the 1911 the HI power the M2 lol I'm a duck Hunter the A5 great shotgun to this day can't say anything bad about almost any of the guns with his name on them except some are expensive lol

I was going to say the M2 also but the 1911 he made himself I don't think he was still alive when the M2 came out correct me if I'm wrong but any way both guns have the B NAME FOR EVER
The M2 smoked some of the best hardware that the enemy had.
Air, land and sea.
I was not there, but you won't get many arguments on that.

The M2 smoked some of the best hardware that the enemy had.
Air, land and sea.
YEP I know it's still killing as we speak someone somewhere in the world is letting some loose from a MA DUCE RIGHT NOW but was he the designer of it or did it come later lol I don't have time to look it up I'm drinking beer and watering my lawn lol

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top