JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being a Van guy I really like the idea of a commercial-appearing Van/Box as a 'prepper' vehicle. Now I'd add to that a small dual purpose motorcycle. A Yamaha TW200 or Kawasaki KLX300SM. Both are light and easy to get in/out of a van and take up not a lot of space. A Ford 90s box van setup with the bike where when you get somewhere you can buzz around.

The TW200 is essentially the same bike all the way back to 1987 so they built it right. Easy to mod, but old school as in carbs, no fancy gauges, etc. Not a highway bike, about 55mph. The Kawasaki is more modern, maybe not a cool a bike, but can do 65+.
$5k TW vs $6k KLX.

With the coming REAL global inflation and lack of access to services, leaning toward the fix-it-yourself TW200.

Don't need the macho bravado of a 1000cc bike at my age, just something fun and easy.

There are a million TW200 videos, here is one on the KLX

Capture.JPG Capture.JPG

Last Edited:
Being a Van guy I really like the idea of a commercial-appearing Van/Box as a 'prepper' vehicle. Now I'd add to that a small dual purpose motorcycle. A Yamaha TW200 or Kawasaki KLX300SM. Both are light and easy to get in/out of a van and take up not a lot of space. A Ford 90s box van setup with the bike where when you get somewhere you can buzz around.

The TW200 is essentially the same bike all the way back to 1987 so they built it right. Easy to mod, but old school as in carbs, no fancy gauges, etc. Not a highway bike, about 55mph. The Kawasaki is more modern, maybe not a cool a bike, but can do 65+.
$5k TW vs $6k KLX.

With the coming REAL global inflation and lack of access to services, leaning toward the fix-it-yourself TW200.

Don't need the macho bravado of a 1000cc bike at my age, just something fun and easy.

There are a million TW200 videos, here is one on the KLX

View attachment 1293606 View attachment 1293611
Have seen a few van setups with the motorcycle stowed outside sideways on the rear. Would make sense to do it that way if you converted the interior to living / sleeping space.

SHTF seems like a good application for a battery powered UTV and/or bicycle/motorcycle.

I've been keeping an eye on the Volcon and Polaris offerings. Will be interesting to see how this market progresses.
I dunno. It just seems EVs may not be that sustainable/useful long term if SHTF, especially due to a likely collapse of industry.. then again, the same could be said for gasoline vehicles anyhow. But... pedal powered vehicles, animal powered vehicles... diesel vehicles could be viable especially with the ability to make biodiesel/fuel from existing sources like all the frying oil and such... alcohol vehicles are likely to be useful even if it's less efficient, since there's likely to be a lot of distilling going on post-collapse anyhow.

I can charge a battery vehicle on my own with solar and wind. It may take a long time depending on the size of the battery, but I don't see myself driving around a lot in that kind of world.

I have no way of producing my own gasoline or diesel fuel. Finding enough fry oil to produce diesel isn't something to be relied on. McDonalds probably won't be open anymore!

That's my perspective. I'm not worried about "the industry" once I have the vehicle in hand.

Drivetrain simplicity and near lack of needed maintenance would be an ancillary benefit as well.

I can charge a battery vehicle on my own with solar and wind. It may take a long time depending on the size of the battery, but I don't see myself driving around a lot in that kind of world.
I am considering converting my pickup ('92 Toyota 4x4) to an EV. I am thinking 100-150 mile range would be enough for SHTF and for my use while towing the pickup behind an RV traveling.

As you say, in most SHTF situations, even today, I would not be driving that much - allowing for several days at least of solar charging. Right now, I go into town once or twice a month. I fill the tank on my SUV once every 4-8 weeks, and that is usually half a tank. I have a 55 gal drum of gasoline that I use for property equipment (chainsaw, mowers, pressure washer/etc.).

I have no way of producing my own gasoline or diesel fuel. Finding enough fry oil to produce diesel isn't something to be relied on. McDonalds probably won't be open anymore!
I plan to store enough diesel and gas to last a while. My Dodge with a Cummins has a 37 gal tank currently. I have a 106 gal aux tank to install on it, and a 255 gal storage tank - that should last for some time. A person can make their own biodiesel if they have the acreage and see and equipment, but it is a whole lot easier to just store some fuel and be stingy about how it is used.

The nice thing about diesel is that it can be found as other sources like trucks, tractors, bunker fuel and home heating oil. Every BLM/forest service shop up in the woods has diesel tanks.

For a pickup, I would say any of the 4 banger Toyota 4X4's from the mid 90's in up, the older then better! Bomb proof reliable, simple, and easy to work on, and tough enough to last without a lot of maintenance!
Any of the Old IHC scouts would also do well, easy to work on, reliable, and easy to get parts for, simple, and robust! A 1970 Scout 800 series with the 345 V-8 and Four Speed, locked diffs front and rear and you have an unstoppable rig!
Off to the goat brothel...

1666382040336.jpeg

In the 80s I was pretty damn poor and just starting my company. Drive a super Popsicle-looking orange and white, stinger exhaust and giant rear tired Beetle.

I remember - $1200. Back when a guy could make near minimal wage but still afford a decent apartment, car, and groceries.
Also around the same time had a nice '65 Malibu SS I bought for $2k. Younger guys have no idea of all the freedoms that are gone now, not excluding a better standard of living.

Really leaning toward VAN + small <350cc Dual Purpose motorcycle inside. Then you have a get out of Dodge vehicle with a get out of Dodge vehicle inside. :s0151:

Ok this it the ultimate prepper vehicle!!! NOT. But damn this looks like an absolute blast. If you want to be the center of attention at a car show.

Capture.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads