JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For Manual Transmissions, your good up until mid 2000's as far as service/rebuilding, especially the most commonly found units in trucks, like the NV 4500 series, as well as the Borg-Warner and Eatons. For the auto boxes, once you get into the Lock Up overdrives like the GM 700R-4, Ford AOD, or Dodge A-904s your going to have to really know your way around them, but the more common like the 4-L60 and -80's as well as the Asian-Warner are not that bad, but Super Expensive even for parts, which are VERY specific to each unit, not just the truck series and options! FORGET Asian and European stuff, your screwed if you have one go bad!
Any of the pre electronic Automatics are pretty simple and easy, just pay extra attention as to how they came apart and follow any instructions EXACTLY, and you should be fine! The Old G.M. Turbo series 350 and 400, the Chrysler Torqueflites, and Ford C-4/6 series are stupid proof as long as you pay attention to what your doing!
Old manuals are also stupid proof, especially the common stuff, New Process, Eaton, Fuller, Dana, Doug Nash, ect. Are super easy to work on and repair, and usually stupid proof!
For transfer cases, all the common ones from New Process and Dana are also stupid proof, and with the N.P. 205/241/248 series, practically Bomb Proof!
All true with a few exceptions:

The NV4500 in the Dodge 4x4 with Cummins have an issue with the OD 5th gear; the retaining nut comes loose, the gear it slips back off the splines and stops engaging with the counter shaft - stops working altogether. There are various fixes, some work for a while, some don't - not sure which works permanently - yet (mine has stopped working - so I have a 4 speed - 3 speed if you don't count the 1st granny gear). I have not decided yet whether to replace the trans with a 6 speed, something different altogether (10+ speed truck boxes), or just fix the transmission as is - in a SHTF situation, the transmission still works well enough; i.e. it moves down the road at a somewhat reduced speed, but it moves.

Auto transmissions; as I said (broken record) - no roll/push/pull starting. This can be a real issue, especially if you need to move NOW, not hours from now after you have fixed whatever the problem is (starter? battery? solenoid? loose electrical connection?).

My Toyota 4x4 has a button that allows you to engage the starter while the transmission is in gear - can be handy.

This one:

Hefty build, unstoppable, armored, gun ports and the whole bubblegumteree. Look at the odometer, 347K carefully driven miles. Geared low, big Diesel engine, imagine the amount of fuel burned over the life of the vehicle. Looks good in the pictures, seat upholstery could use a bit of work.
That has "TINY HOME"written all over it !

"Home" being the operative word. These trucks with their armor weigh a ton, multiple multiple tons. Get them on snow or mud and they will get stuck, even if you convert it to 4x4. Weight is the Great Satan when it comes to driving/riding off-road.
Yes sir weight would be a fly in the ointment not to mention fuel economy 4-5 MPG would be my guess if perfectly tuned and you do not have a heavy foot also speed and handling so basically a big turd on wheels .

A fold out canvas tent similar to a rooftop tent, but mounted on the back of this on a frame where you have gear underneath, could be a good lightweight option.. Steyr Diamler Haflinger.. or a Japanese 4x4 Kei Truck seen as gardening trucks in US

010_-974063762.jpg

What I really NEED to find is a pair of modern continuous bent rubber tracks for my Super Imp, with the Rubber tracks, I could go anywhere with out wearing out the Steel or Aluminum grousers, and not chew up the ground and give away my heading/location while still having all the capabilities tracks afford! Right now, I have the standard Tracks and added rubber blocks between the growsers which really help and allow me to run on asphalt or cement, BUT, they wear fast, and are spendy, and are prone to damage or tearing out, so its a short term solution that really doesn't do much! Outside of that, NOBODY can keep up with me in the wilds, or could ever hope to catch me, I can literally go places No one else can, and that's a Huge advantage to have!

What I really NEED to find is a pair of modern continuous bent rubber tracks for my Super Imp, with the Rubber tracks, I could go anywhere with out wearing out the Steel or Aluminum grousers, and not chew up the ground and give away my heading/location while still having all the capabilities tracks afford! Right now, I have the standard Tracks and added rubber blocks between the growsers which really help and allow me to run on asphalt or cement, BUT, they wear fast, and are spendy, and are prone to damage or tearing out, so its a short term solution that really doesn't do much! Outside of that, NOBODY can keep up with me in the wilds, or could ever hope to catch me, I can literally go places No one else can, and that's a Huge advantage to have!
So your Super Imp sort of fulfills this? But with tracks not wheels
QZJSIAO.jpg armf89sfm7d01.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1527733905.143335.jpg 625-50_3.jpg Argo-Log.png 03b511f92758c48ef08ea8fcbe731b67.jpg 3f841c4511b917dfa30b771805308734.jpg ATMP02.png

YUP!, the only thing it cannot do is Swim, but it could if I took the time to make work, or better yet, strap several 55 gallon drums to it, but that's not really going to happen, or would be needed! The Above rigs are closer to my Cushman Trackster, which is much smaller and CAN SWIM, but with it's 2 stroke engine is loud as hell, and its SLOW!

Were I able to, I would have made something closer to a M59/M113 APC but with windows and using commercial tracks that are available at farm supply places and with a simple diesel engine... but that just sounds like a Snowcat with extra steps maybe?

Edit, a boxy body with wide rubber tracks and low center of gravity

All good. I prefer the large diameter single center wheel - someday I will buy/build one.

That said, my health is not such that I can walk far, with or without a load. Bicycling/two wheels powered or not, would be one backup option before having to walk. So I would want a trailer that could attach to such, and then be used while on foot.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top