JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the 90s my friends and I were into jacked up trucks and country bars. Most of us had full size Chevys but one had a Bronco about that vintage.

The Ford could be lifted higher - straight axle? - so he always had his 2-3" taller than the rest of us. Always thought that silly phase would go away but nowadays lifted trucks are so much more over the top. Even adjustable lifts (not bags). Saw one in Las Vegas on the Strip I couldn't believe was streetable. A drop hitch about 36" long haha.

The M88 tracked recovery vehicle
Too bad they don't surplus these.
But I do know where they park them:)
I wouldn't mind an old WW-II vintage M-5 High Speed tracked tractor, those are super slick and can really be hopped up if you wanted! Saw one a guy swapped in a 5.9 Cummins and 8 speed auto, that thing flat flew!
1680322726611.png

I wouldn't mind an old WW-II vintage M-5 High Speed tracked tractor, those are super slick and can really be hopped up if you wanted! Saw one a guy swapped in a 5.9 Cummins and 8 speed auto, that thing flat flew!
View attachment 1394903
I would still rock a M8 High speed tractor with a camper built on :D

I mean.. its.a big flatbed with tracks.. lots of potential build space there :D

1540712465_Ampersand-HighSpeedTractor-USArmysTrackedArtilleryPrimeMoversM2M4M5M6M82.jpg.280103...jpg

In the 90s my friends and I were into jacked up trucks and country bars. Most of us had full size Chevys but one had a Bronco about that vintage.

The Ford could be lifted higher - straight axle? - so he always had his 2-3" taller than the rest of us. Always thought that silly phase would go away but nowadays lifted trucks are so much more over the top. Even adjustable lifts (not bags). Saw one in Las Vegas on the Strip I couldn't believe was streetable. A drop hitch about 36" long haha.
Real serious Off Road guys don't run very much much lift, mine is only 3 inches over stock, and it's 4 linked on coils! I have FAR more articulation then any of those street queens could ever dream of. And I'm on 38"s with a rear sway bar and travel limiters! My rig exceeded the RTI limits, well over 80 inches with the limiters and away bar still attached. My Bro is running a mostly Stock Gladiator Mojave with only around 2 inches lift and rear limiters, outside of dragging his rock sliders in everything, it's vastly more capable then most any newer off-road truck unless you dump tons of money into them.

I would still rock a M8 High speed tractor with a camper built on :D

I mean.. its.a big flatbed with tracks.. lots of potential build space there :D

View attachment 1394910
If you want a light weight and simple tracked rig, I got the perfect one already, my 80 Thiokol Super Imp, only weighs around 2600 pounds, has a Mercedes OM-617 Turbo Diesel with 4 speed automatic, will run through the snow at around 45 MPH and just nearly keeps the tracks on at that speed! You have to shop around the snow states, but they can be found often enough, lots of state Governments used them and surplus them off now and then, I know Salem has at least 8 of them coming up soon, might be just the ticket! Mine has a 6x6 foot bed with removable head board, sides and tailgate, it also tilts, and can carry around 3000 pounds, the only worry is the track growers will really wear out on rock or pavement, and really chew up asphalt! I have rubber blocks in mine to prevent that, but it's spendy to do them!

If you want a light weight and simple tracked rig, I got the perfect one already, my 80 Thiokol Super Imp, only weighs around 2600 pounds, has a Mercedes OM-617 Turbo Diesel with 4 speed automatic, will run through the snow at around 45 MPH and just nearly keeps the tracks on at that speed! You have to shop around the snow states, but they can be found often enough, lots of state Governments used them and surplus them off now and then, I know Salem has at least 8 of them coming up soon, might be just the ticket! Mine has a 6x6 foot bed with removable head board, sides and tailgate, it also tilts, and can carry around 3000 pounds, the only worry is the track growers will really wear out on rock or pavement, and really chew up asphalt! I have rubber blocks in mine to prevent that, but it's spendy to do them!
Put two of those Imps together with slaved steering/controls in the beefy U joint contraption, and you might have a sort of hacked together Hagglund BV monster? :s0140:

As a father of two... with a wife who doesn't drive... vehicle responsibility is all on me. A van for now; would like something similar to that 4x4 E350 camper but realistic? The van I have now, augmented with Schwinn bicycle, kid strollers, garden carts... and a tricycle

For that kind of $$ my favorite would be an EarthRoamer. Made in Bend OR.

Probably overkill for most. As a former van lifer in the 80s, being discreet is a big deal unless you plan to always avoid the big city and are set up for true off-grid travels.

EarthRoamer now focuses more on pick up truck based rigs. This used one sold for a whopping $275k the other day on Bring A Trailer. Other bids were <$200k and the buyer hopped in and bid $275k. Mitsubishi. Still way overkill for a guy like me; no life parasites, you know, a wife, etc, lol.

View attachment 1394467
I ought to send them my Ranger and see what they can do for it.
Meanwhile, I think this guy may be on the right track....

Previously, someone wrote that they wouldn't want an automatic transmission for a SHTF situation. Because if something went wrong with it, repairs would be difficult to make in "the field," as it were.

Does anyone here watch those Youtube videos done by Scotty Kilmer? At the end of his chosen subject matter, he takes questions that people email in to him. On one recent vid, the question was from someone about repairing a bad second gear in the modern Ford pax car with a manual transmission. Kilmer's take was, it isn't worth repairing. It costs too much but worse, even if you decide to fix it, there are few mechanics around who can do it right. His opinion was that modern manual transmissions are complex and difficult to work on. He said, if you want to save the car, you're better off taking your chances on a used transmission from a donor car in the wrecking yard.

I've worked on manual shift transmissions of the old kind, when I owned a flathead Ford. Somethat that simple would be not that difficult to work on in the field. So a truck or jeep with a three or four speed that we know from the past would be okay.

One other thing to remember, automatic transmission don't typically have dry clutches to wear out like manuals. Which wear out even faster when used in rough terrain.

Previously, someone wrote that they wouldn't want an automatic transmission for a SHTF situation. Because if something went wrong with it, repairs would be difficult to make in "the field," as it were.

Does anyone here watch those Youtube videos done by Scotty Kilmer? At the end of his chosen subject matter, he takes questions that people email in to him. On one recent vid, the question was from someone about repairing a bad second gear in the modern Ford pax car with a manual transmission. Kilmer's take was, it isn't worth repairing. It costs too much but worse, even if you decide to fix it, there are few mechanics around who can do it right. His opinion was that modern manual transmissions are complex and difficult to work on. He said, if you want to save the car, you're better off taking your chances on a used transmission from a donor car in the wrecking yard.

I've worked on manual shift transmissions of the old kind, when I owned a flathead Ford. Somethat that simple would be not that difficult to work on in the field. So a truck or jeep with a three or four speed that we know from the past would be okay.

One other thing to remember, automatic transmission don't typically have dry clutches to wear out like manuals. Which wear out even faster when used in rough terrain.
What I wrote was about the inability of of almost all vehicular automatic transmissions to be bump/pushed/pull/roll started if the starter goes out, or the battery goes dead. This is an issue if you encounter electrical system problems. I don't believe I said anything about repairing a transmission in the field (which, even with my experience, I would not attempt).

FWIW - in a previous life I was a diesel mech. I have removed, taken apart, rebuilt and replaced a manual transmission, with hydraulic shifting, on a large JD tractor that 20 different gear ratios. I am quite knowledgeable and experienced with different types of transmissions.

In some respects, most conventional automatic transmissions, having planetary gears, can be more robust with regards to the gears - as long as you don't screw up the "clutches" (bands) by overheating them (e.g., rocking the vehicle back and forth when stuck).

For Manual Transmissions, your good up until mid 2000's as far as service/rebuilding, especially the most commonly found units in trucks, like the NV 4500 series, as well as the Borg-Warner and Eatons. For the auto boxes, once you get into the Lock Up overdrives like the GM 700R-4, Ford AOD, or Dodge A-904s your going to have to really know your way around them, but the more common like the 4-L60 and -80's as well as the Asian-Warner are not that bad, but Super Expensive even for parts, which are VERY specific to each unit, not just the truck series and options! FORGET Asian and European stuff, your screwed if you have one go bad!
Any of the pre electronic Automatics are pretty simple and easy, just pay extra attention as to how they came apart and follow any instructions EXACTLY, and you should be fine! The Old G.M. Turbo series 350 and 400, the Chrysler Torqueflites, and Ford C-4/6 series are stupid proof as long as you pay attention to what your doing!
Old manuals are also stupid proof, especially the common stuff, New Process, Eaton, Fuller, Dana, Doug Nash, ect. Are super easy to work on and repair, and usually stupid proof!
For transfer cases, all the common ones from New Process and Dana are also stupid proof, and with the N.P. 205/241/248 series, practically Bomb Proof!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews