JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A quick look at active shooter scenarios and your position as a CCW..from the Washington County Sheriffs office.

If Someone Starts Shooting in Public, Should I Take Action?
Concealed Carry and Other Considerations

One way to process events like the shooting in Roseburg is to run through the scenario in your mind. How might you react? What if you are with your family? Planning and thinking through various scenarios is a healthy way to give yourself peace of mind and to live safer. If you already have a plan, improve it. If you don't, start today.

We cannot endorse any action during an active threat event, but we can share important considerations that may help you decide whether or how to respond if you are in such a situation.
e0d3325c-658d-4c8b-b2c4-4471db7457cc.png
Watch: Run. Hide. Fight.

Before making the decision to use your weapon, you should strongly consider if that is the right decision. Exercising your right to carry a firearm does not mean you are required to act during a crisis. Depending on the circumstances, you could aggravate or complicate the situation.
Also, do not assume that simply pointing your firearm at an active threat will stop them or even slow them down. If you choose to confront an active threat, you must be prepared to use your firearm.

Our firearms and tactical experts offer the following considerations for people who carry concealed, but their guidance can be helpful to get others thinking as well. Keep in mind that an active threat may have a gun, a knife, or even a vehicle as a weapon. Not every threat will be a shooter.

If at all possible, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Assess the situation. How many threats are there? Are you in a position of tactical advantage, or are you already cornered? You need to be able to assess the backstop behind your target, and to see who is between you and the threat. How comfortable are you firing your weapon, and do you have extra ammunition with you?
Position yourself for concealment. If possible, choose a position behind an object or structure that both conceals your location and provides a barrier before engaging the shooter.

Separate from other people. You may want to consider separating from your family or others. Once you engage, the threat's focus will turn to you and those around you. If the threat comes to you, you may have to take immediate action.

1567cb56-5a50-4a10-bf50-6ca154782f7d.jpg
Consider Physical Responses to Stress. Under high levels of stress, we know a threat's field of vision will narrow to some degree, often to pinpoint vision. They may lose the ability to see peripherally and suffer diminished hearing. It may feel like the threat is in slow motion. This may also happen to you, depending on your experience.

Are you prepared to engage the threat? This is the toughest part of the plan. Are you prepared to take the threat's life to save the lives of others? The threat has already made the decision to kill people. Have you ever considered this scenario? Is it part of your mental plan?

When shooting stops, make it clear you are not a threat. If you took action and successfully engaged the threat, you need to understand that you may be presenting to police as an armed and unknown threat (or possibly to other well-intentioned armed citizens). If you continue to display your weapon, when police encounter you, there are only fractions of a second when life or death decisions are made. After you engage a threat, our trainers recommend you ensure your empty hands are plainly visible. Either re-holster or put down any weapons, depending on the environment, situation, and proximity of police.

It is highly unlikely that you will ever find yourself involved in an active threat situation; however, if you do, and you have a concealed carry license, it is good to be prepared. Practice with the gun you carry. Practice regularly drawing from a concealed carry position using the holster you will be wearing.

Practice until you are proficient with your gear. Be aware of your surroundings. The first time you think about how you will respond to an active threat situation should not be during an active threat event. Plan ahead.

Watch: Run. Hide. Fight.
S.gif

Good thoughts to ponder. I find it helpful to talk and point out deep meaningful directions with my friends (of the same tactical mindset) about 'What would you do" scenarios.
So true it is about the narrowing of vision when traumatic situations prevent themselves in your face, like crashes have the same effect (I don't call them accidents).
I would have to really think that I had the upper hand or I would not engage.... just my thoughts.

I have seen this program before. Filled with PC stuff and assumptions that don't make sense in the real world. Key facts to know:

• Police arrive after the shooter(s) have been killed/killed themselves nearly 60 percent of the time.
  • Average response times and scene confusion mean that the police will likely arrive long after the shooter is down/done themselves in.
  • Having training on how to deal with this is important. you will not "rise" to the occasion; you will "fall" to whatever level of training you have.
  • Your response will be tailored based upon what your own specific situation is and your proximity to the epicenter of what is happening.
Get training to react so that you can be safe and put a stop to rapid mass murder if it shows up near you.

As a person with no military or LEO training...

I see the video as something that's getting people to pause, assess the situation and then act. It's to keep a hysterical reaction from happening. In that regards they did a reasonable job.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top