JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Almost forgot Murray's Gun Shop on Sandy. How many of you knew he had a 100 yd underground shooting tunnel at his location? Great for testing rifles for accuracy.

I grew up the street from Murray's Gun Store. We would park our bikes over the top of it and listen for the booms.

Almost forgot Murray's Gun Shop on Sandy. How many of you knew he had a 100 yd underground shooting tunnel at his location? Great for testing rifles for accuracy.

I grew up the street from Murray's Gun Store. We would park our bikes over the top of it and listen for the booms.

Was that the one on 148th or so and sandy? and no I didn't know they had an underground range.

In the 90's there was a gun shop on saltzman and Cornell the guy sold H&K gun and all manor of dreaded "black assault rifles" anyone remember the name?

Dicks is a joke! I sincerely hope that the Spandex crowd can't keep them going!

Ha! This isn't my original thought, and boy I wish it was, but I have decided to shop at dicks again if they have great bargains at their going out of buisness sale!

What ever happened to Combat Corner?

There have been some great gun stores that have gone away over the years.....then there is the Gun Room.

E

There have been some great gun stores that have gone away over the years.....then there is the Gun Room.

E

Oh crap, not the gun room!

I've been in the gun room perhaps 5 times in 25 years and every time and I mean every time
they where either rude to me, another customer or a potential customer on the phone.
What is wrong with these people and how do they stay in business?

All of this nostalgic talk has gotten me to miss the OLD Portland, before the hipsters, Vera Katz/Sam Adams crowd, and young hippy bums took over the city. When the Portland Beavers played at Civic Stadium and nobody had ever heard of Merritt Paulson, and the Blazers always played to a crowd of 12,666 sold out seats at Memorial Coloseum.

So the best outdoor gear store I've ever been in is a place called Jax. Very good gun section, fly fishing, archery, climbing, camping, surplus. They also have clothing, a good footwear section, boating/kayaking stuff. I love going there just to look at everything. I could literally spend hours between the gun and surplus areas. The only downside is it is in Ft. Collins, Colorado. Considering the imbecile Colorado legislature I think Jax got it's last dime out of me last summer. It's such a shame because it really is an awesome store.

PS: what did Cheaper than Dirt do to garner the ill will I've read in this thread?

PS: what did Cheaper than Dirt do to garner the ill will I've read in this thread?
Panic pricing.
gougemasters.jpg

So the best outdoor gear store I've ever been in is a place called Jax. Very good gun section, fly fishing, archery, climbing, camping, surplus. They also have clothing, a good footwear section, boating/kayaking stuff. I love going there just to look at everything. I could literally spend hours between the gun and surplus areas. The only downside is it is in Ft. Collins, Colorado. Considering the imbecile Colorado legislature I think Jax got it's last dime out of me last summer. It's such a shame because it really is an awesome store.

I was just thinking about JAX - do you mean the current configuration or back when it was all surplus and guns? Back in the 80s they had about the only decent selection of butterfly knives and throwing stars around and the back wall was the gun counter with the bulk of the store being real surplus. Now (or a couple years ago when I last went in) its like an REI with a surplus store in the back room, a fishing section, a gun counter, and a decent selection of ranch store clothing added to the mix. Still - every time I go back to CO I stop in and wander around for an hour or so before hitting New Belgium brewery for the tour and free beers.

Bob's in Longview is still one of my all time favorites and I've been going there for 40+ years I suspect. My parents used to go there when I was a wee one back when the Sports store was in the smaller building and all the cool toys were on the second floor of the main building.

As far as Dicks go.......Never liked the feel of the store, that sterile comment sums it up for me as well. After what they pulled on our fellow gun owners they can bankrupt for all I care.

No one has mentioned the Outdoor store, I don't think. Most of my reloading supplies came from that store in Milwaukie. My dad bought RCBS items and I picked it up from him.

Now THAT takes me back! We had one in downtown Oregon City when I was a kid. I think just about every pair of sneakers and jeans came from there when I was growing up. My brothers and I actually enjoyed Mom taking us clothes shopping there so we could look around.

I was just thinking about JAX - do you mean the current configuration or back when it was all surplus and guns? Back in the 80s they had about the only decent selection of butterfly knives and throwing stars around and the back wall was the gun counter with the bulk of the store being real surplus. Now (or a couple years ago when I last went in) its like an REI with a surplus store in the back room, a fishing section, a gun counter, and a decent selection of ranch store clothing added to the mix. Still - every time I go back to CO I stop in and wander around for an hour or so before hitting New Belgium brewery for the tour and free beers.

I've only known Jax as it is more or less like it is now. Over the past 10 years or so it has evolved into what I consider a pretty comprehensive outdoor store. As you probably know there is Jax the outdoor sportsman type store and then there is the Jax farm and ranch store. Of course, after a few hours of grazing the gun and surplus areas a tour of the New Belgium or Budweiser breweries is always in order. :s0155:

Ha Combat corner! I bought some throwing stars from there as a kid on a bike in the seventh grade and got a good beat down when my parents found out that I was using the back of the garage for a target:) They were pretty torked when my closet pole turned into "chucks"! I miss being a kid some days.

E

My second job is at a knife store down in the Chico Mall. They did a "big" renovation of the mall itself and a Dick's is going in at the mall. They actually put in the permit to sell firearms and got firearms sales approved in their lease with the mall. I keep thinking how big a bust they are going to be, and how I really want to change the name on all their signs to "Dick's; Sporting Woods".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top