JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My father is Cleo.

Cleo was a great guy to work with at the Gresham Larry's. He was always smiling even when you had hacked him off (which was hard to do).

I worked for Larry from 1986 until the bitter end and then stayed on during the Northwest Outfitters Supply reincarnation. Fishermans Marine may now occupy the old Oregon City Larry's but they will never be the same.

I made many friends while working there and it is the only job I have ever had where I have kept in touch with some of my former co-workers after leaving. I also met and later married a cashier from the Gresham store. We have been married 18 years now.

E

I still don't get how Dick's stays business, the few times I have gone into a store it was deserted.

The Washington Square store has to be run at a loss.

Got my first gun a 10/22 at the gi joes on McLaughlin took my first CC class at larry's!

Miss both something terribly

Reminds me - I gotta get back to work on that time machine I've been working on... I sucks when then best future is in the past.

As for Dick's, I hate to see any business flounder when jobs are so scarce, but they are doing it to themselves. The few times I've been in one, I've had the same experience noting few if any customers and a definite lack of helpful assistance. I'll spend my $$$ with those who understand retail sales. I also try to support mom & pop first, local chains next, followed by regional then national chains. The higher you are up the list, the more I'm willing to pay, I just won't get stupid to spend my $$$ locally.

With Cabella's coming and Sportsman's Warehouse going back to their roots I don't see much future for them in this area.

Regarding Cabelas, I was really impressed with how they stepped up to fight the gun banners. They were one of the first businesses to boycott the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show when the idiot organizers decided to ban AR's after Newtown.

I have not made it up to Lacey yet, but on my next visit I plan on buying a rifle from them. I don't need one, and it will probably just sit in the box to be resold at a loss a few years down the road, but I want to thank them for their staunch defense of the 2nd Amendment by giving them some business.

I admit, I have been one to complain about their prices in the past, but whatever they have that peeks my interest, I will buy regardless of the price. They deserve the support.

I have also been buying ammo from them online when as it has become available. Just last week, I got 250 rounds of Herter's .357 Magnum plinking ammo for $21 per box.

There are a bunch of small sporting goods stores that have come and gone over the years in the Portland area. There was was one called Freeway Sporting Goods on NE Halsey around 79th or thereabouts. I guess it got it's name because I 80 ended at 82nd in those days. It started at 33rd and ended at 82nd. Another oldie was Fosters Sporting Goods, appropriately named because it was on Foster. The building it was in is now Aboy store I think. I also seem to remember one on 50th and Powell but the name escapes me. There others that I probably never even heard of.

I know how you all feel. Used to be a place called Tom's. We would go in a buy fishing tags. Toms was Cigar and gun.fishing shop. I loved the smell of the place. Fresh cigars and the earthy smell of nightcrawlers.

Further back in time was a great old sporting goods store on NE Sandy Blvd called Wigwam.
It had a teepee in the parking lot.
I used to ride my bike after school just to check out the bargain bin for cheap fishing lures.

Yes. One in Tigard where I grew up. That was a better time. Payless also had guns and ammo.

With Cabella's coming and Sportsman's Warehouse going back to their roots I don't see much future for them in this area.
They have to return to their roots. With the outdoor 'fad' that became fashionable with the suburbanites in the mid to late 90's slowing rapidly the market for the subsequent products IE all the folding this and that, bizarre outdoor cooking devices and a plethora of surrogate devices designed to recreate your house in the woods is also slowing. There was a direct correlation during this time and that of places like GI Joes, Big 5 and others giving themselves a facelift toward more fashion than function. Sportsman's Warehouse appeared to strike a happy medium between the fad outdoors-people and the 'old guard' because of the obvious cross section of products they carry appealing to both sides. Dick's came in a little too late in this game, and with too much orientation toward the fad as opposed to the function. I have see the evolution of this throughout my years of living in the middle of one of the most popular outdoor areas in Oregon, Central that is.

I honestly don't believe their unsuccessful quarter is because of the protest of Dicks not selling AR's anymore. In Lake Oswego, the line is still 20-30 deep on Friday morning for ammo hoarders, Washington Square in Tigard is the same on Saturday. I don't care what they sell or don't sell to be honest, their store, their opinion, just like we have our beliefs, they have theirs. I can not boycott a buisness for their beliefs, if they have a product I want or need, I am going to buy it. I am not Jewish, but Hebrew Hotdogs are good. But if you want to look at all the companies that are anti-gun, better look a lot closer to what you have:
Blue Shield Blue Cross
Hallmark
Levi's
Sprint

This is to name a few popular companies we all use. I don't believe boycotting will change their stance, just like boycotting us will not change ours. Speaking of, I have a 10 dollar coupon.................

Further back in time was a great old sporting goods store on NE Sandy Blvd called Wigwam.
I used to ride my bike after school just to check out the bargain bin for cheap fishing lures.

When they decided to get out of the gun business, they were selling Ruger Super Blackhaws for $40 a copy, and High Standard Military HD 107s for $20. I do not recall prices on the other guns.This was around 1972-1973 IIRC.

I wound up with oe of the Military 107's a guy bought and flipped. I paid $50

Best,
Gary

When my buddies and I upgraded to mini-bikes, we would run up to the Parkrose Wigwam store riding between the railroad track rails that parallel next to I-84.
You had to be constantly looking over your shoulder because the trains really move along on that stretch of tracks.
We would buy our bait and tackle, then head back East to NE 223rd and Sandy and go fishing at Blue Lake Park.
One summer weekend there was a huge company picnic going on at the park and we able to sneak into the beer keg line after finding some name tags with the company logo, which was more preferable then picking up a stray cup of warm beer.
We would walk up to the guy filling the plastic cups and tell him they were for our dads or uncle.
After a couple of cups we would have enough courage to try and hit on the prettiest girls hanging around picnic offering them a ride on a mini-bike.
Didn't take long for us to give up fishing and concentrate exclusively on the girls.

Wigwam and Larry's now those where good stores. The old GI Joe's was good too. Now Dicks I have only been in there a handful of times seemed pricey to me I wobt miss them when they go under.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Chicks became Dicks! How funny. Rabbi, please bring me a dog with Kraut on it!

Sprint, Blue Cross and the rest of the businesses...were not on my list of places to do business with before I even saw this thread! Gotta love these threads at times!

Just saying there's a lot of no gun lovin places we all shop at. Just seen an article about Ford contributing money to Cease Fire oregon too.

You must be older than the hills.....Just like me! I remember when it was a surplus store. I also remember when there was only one Fred Meyer, up on Burnside.

Well, I we are going for local nostalgia, I have a shotgun that I bought at Meir and Frank, a Rem 30-06 from JC Penney, 10-22 from GI Joes, a knife from B'Wana JUnction on SW Third, and some shotgun ammo I got at Nick's Guns, on the Beaverton-Hillsdale HWY. Oh, I almost forgot the Winchester Mod 37 12ga. that my Mom got for me with S&H Green Stamps .
Also, let us not forget Andy&Bax. At one time, they sold guns, ammo, and real military surplus.
When the old store, I think it was on Union Ave burned, in the 60s, that old oil soaked floor burned very hot and quick. The new store on Grand & Oak was nice, but it missed the flavor and atmosphere of the old store. Wow !! Almost forgot Murray's Gun Shop on Sandy. How many of you knew he had a 100 yd underground shooting tunnel at his location? Great for testing rifles for accuracy.

Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class