JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oddly enough, there used to be a sporting goods chain in southern california called "Chick's", they didn't really sell sporting goods, they sold sporting equipment, baseball gloves, team uniforms, footballs, hockey stuff etc. Well, as it turns out, while there is a market for that, it won't support having multiple massive stores, and also you're competing primarily with walmart for that business... predictably Chicks went out of business. But then the strange thing happened... they got bought by Dick's Sporting Goods.

So Chicks got a sex change and became dick's.

Since most of us became aware that Dick's in other states sold firearms, and other outdoor stuff like camping gear, and that kind of thing we welcomed the change. So the opening weekend a big group of us got together, had lunch and carpooled out to the dicks megamart.

We walk in, and say "where's the gun counter" the smartly dressed employee looks at me confused, and says "I don't know, but I will find out" ball 1... A manager comes over and tells us "I'm sorry we don't sell guns here" strike 1! We say, well we arn't just looking for guns, where's your camping section? "ummm we don't have that either" strike 2! So we start looking around, and rather quickly we realize that after spending probably $100K in remodeling and new inventory, they sell exactly the same BS that they went out of business selling a few months prior Strike 3!

We left, all of our enthusiasm gone, our hopes dashed, and our interest exhausted. I havn't been back since and really see no reason to go there hearing things like this.

I really miss a local store in Gresham called Larry's. A real sportsman store that didn't cater to the yuppie REI type crowd.
The owner "Larry" had a tv show that was pretty hokey, but it was his decision to start up a travel agency company that put him under.
G I Joes filled the gap for a while, but they yuppified everything and then they were history.
Now Dick's showed up and I won't even walk in.
Bi-Mart or the internet only.

I really miss a local store in Gresham called Larry's. A real sportsman store that didn't cater to the yuppie REI type crowd.
The owner "Larry" had a tv show that was pretty hokey, but it was his decision to start up a travel agency company that put him under.
G I Joes filled the gap for a while, but they yuppified everything and then they were history.
Now Dick's showed up and I won't even walk in.
Bi-Mart or the internet only.

Larry's was a great place. I really miss them. And the old GI Joes...the one that sold sporting goods and automotive parts...not the yuppie father of Dick's store it became right before the end. Dick's and CTD can both go pound sand...I won't be giving either any of my money.

Larry's was a great place. I really miss them. And the old GI Joes...the one that sold sporting goods and automotive parts...not the yuppie father of Dick's store it became right before the end. Dick's and CTD can both go pound sand...I won't be giving either any of my money.

The old GI Joes, with the auto parts, lost my business when I found that they would advertise something I wanted for cheap, but it was never in stock. They always would try to up-sell me to a higher priced product. That is called "Bait and Switch", an illegal marketing practice. I think that is one reason they went out of business.

I agree that any store that gets out of the camping/fishing/shooting sports markets is going to have a rough time making it. Too many competitors selling the same branded gym bags, soccer gear, and jogging accessories at too low price.

I agree that Larry's Gresham was a great place,they carried alot of specialty stuff that is hard to find anymore.And I also miss the good deals I used to get as my dad was either the archery,tackle or gun manager there for most of it's existance.

Further back in time was a great old sporting goods store on NE Sandy Blvd called Wigwam.
It had a teepee in the parking lot.
I used to ride my bike after school just to check out the bargain bin for cheap fishing lures.

I was in Dick's once and bought some ammo...signed up for some kind of deal where you get points and discount coupons. The coupons I got were never good for ammo. Then Dicks
came out with the AR ban and that was it for me. Emailed them and told them to cancel my club membership and to never email me again. And I told them why.

Further back in time was a great old sporting goods store on NE Sandy Blvd called Wigwam.
I used to ride my bike after school just to check out the bargain bin for cheap fishing lures.
Oh yes wigwam in Hillsboro back in the day bought my first shotgun there got a great deal on it. Also hanks out in Cornelius was a good place to.

I agree that Larry's Gresham was a great place,they carried alot of specialty stuff that is hard to find anymore.And I also miss the good deals I used to get as my dad was either the archery,tackle or gun manager there for most of it's existance.

Who was your dad? I worked at the Gresham and Oregon City gun departments for several years.

E

That place was awesome! I was just thinking about them as I was reading! Good times! The actual entry was shaped like a teepee!

I remember Larry's well. Bought several guns there and when I fished a lot, I supported their tackle shop. Lots and lots and lots of money went their when I fished! Fishermans is not the same as Larry's at all, "Miss the Good Ol Days".

I remember Larry's well. Bought several guns there and when I fished a lot, I supported their tackle shop. Lots and lots and lots of money went their when I fished! Fishermans is not the same as Larry's at all, "Miss the Good Ol Days".

Yea, like when you could keep any salmon / steelhead that you managed to get near the net.
No adipose fins to deal with, plenty of fish in the rivers and fishing license / tags were less then $25.00.
For years I had a boat slip at Sundial Marina near the Sandy River that only cost $112.00 a year.
Imagine having your own boat tied up on the Columbia River and you could just drive down to the private parking area and have great fishing with none of the major hassles and headaches at the community dock.
I used to fish before and after work because it was a pleasure to be able just hop in at a moments notice.

Got my first gun a 10/22 at the gi joes on McLaughlin took my first CC class at larry's!

Miss both something terribly

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR