Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good deal on GMRS radios at Cabela's

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by nubus, Sep 25, 2011.

1. nubus

nubus Guest

Sale ends tomorrow, gonna get a set for myself.
    $19.99 for the pair w/rechargeable battery kit.

Motorola MC225R

2. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

the review on cabela's only gave them one star out of 5,a dn a few other reviews I read on googleon gave them 3 stars. aI think I will pass on this item.

3. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about camo gear - drop it or set it down in the forest.... now, where did it go?

4. nubus

nubus Guest

They are $20, 12v rechargeable and cheap enough to buy a set for spares.
    They are only 2 watts on transmit, but function on all GMRS channels.
    The poor rviews I saw were related to distance of transmission.
    Undoubtedly from someone using them in heavy cover or not line of sight.
    5 watt radios are all over $100 a pair.

5. knuckle Head

good point, God knows I have wasted $20.00 on used stuff that never worked more a couple of times, heck if it they short distances, they could be good comm. when scavenging

6. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Even Bi-Mart sometimes has them on sale. I got a pair of 5-Watt Midlands there a year or so ago for $45 on sale, and they're rated for 34 miles.

Ah, here they are - discontinued now:
    Midland GXT785VP3 Two Way Radios

SheepDog223 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. knuckle Head

How have they performed for you, please advise before I make a buy on the above item.

8. knuckle Head

Well I order two sets, I figured at that price what the heck and besides if shtf they would come in handy for comm. on property and property and while scavaging.

9. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I decided to pick up one of these also. Might have to do something so they're not camouflage though.

10. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

No retail store radio is going to work 34 miles, even in perfect conditions. I have 4, 5watt Motorola VHF radios, that cost $700 EACH, for work, and have 100 watt Motorola and Icom radios in our trucks and equipment. On a perfect day, in flat fields, we can get about 6 miles out of a handheld and 25-30 out of a portable. Everything you read is not true.

11. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

The batteries are good: five AA's that hold a charge and deliver more output than the other AA's I have stockpiled.

The radio works as far as connecting home to work, which is about 3 miles line of sight, with hills, trees, and city in between. I think that's actually pretty good, since the "34 mile" rating is a totally ridiculous exaggeration, like RR said.

The only thing I didn't like is the cost of accessories - A pair of mic/earpiece headsets would cost close to what I paid for the radios.

12. knuckle Head

got mine in yesterday, fully charged and ready for use

13. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

I have 2 pair of Trisquare XRS radios that have as good as or better range than top of the line GMRS radios. They operate in the 900mhz range (Like cell phones) and have a billion different frequencies. The radios frequency hop like the trunked radio systems the police use and are near impossible to monitor. In a SHTF situation the GMRS frequencies will be so overloaded you won't be able to communicate across the street yet alone the ridiculous ranges that they advertise. They have two different models and I recommend the tsx 300. Go to: TriSquare - 2-way Radio - Beyond FRS Beyond GMRS eXRS (TM) eXtreme Radio Service and check them out. :thumbup:

PS, The tsx 300 radios come with a microphone/headset!