JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't think this will be as long as the bad cop thread but we should give credit when it is due.
Georgia cops buy taxi fare for man who walked 29 miles to court on frigid day
By Todd StarnesTodd's American DispatchPublished January 13, 2014FoxNews.com

Georgia cops buy taxi fare for man who walked 29 miles to court on frigid day | Fox News

Andy_Blimline_Jan_2014.jpg
Officer Andy Blimline. (CITY OF LILBURN/LILBURN POLICE DEPARTMENT)
James had fallen on hard times.

He totaled his car and he was living in a shelter in Atlanta. His wallet was empty. There was no money for a bus, certainly none for a cab. And that posed a significant problem.

James was supposed to report to a court in Lilburn, Ga. to resolve a traffic citation – some 29 miles away.

Failure to appear could have resulted in a warrant for his arrest. So James decided to do what needed to be done -- he would walk.

Now walking nearly 29 miles to resolve a traffic citation is certainly unusual, but walking 29 miles on one of the coldest days of the year is beyond unusual. James awoke at 1 a.m. and walked outside wearing a pair of blue jeans and a hooded jacket.

Walking nearly 29 miles to resolve a traffic citation is certainly unusual, but walking 29 miles on one of the coldest days of the year is beyond unusual.
“I was absolutely freezing,” James told television station WSB. (James told the WSB reporter he is uncomfortable with his circumstances. He chose not to share his last name or show his face on camera.)

It was 6 degrees. The wind chill was minus 10. It was a bone-chilling, blustery kind of cold.

“As soon as the air hit my lungs it took my breath away because of the wind,” he said. “That was the major thing – the wind.”

His nearly nine-hour journey took him from downtown Atlanta across Interstate 85 to the northeastern suburb of Lilburn.

James arrived at the court, shivering and out-of-breath only to discover that his public defender failed to appear. Nevertheless, he settled his business with the court and prepared to make the long trip back to Atlanta.

Police Officer Andy Blimine saw James and felt compelled to help. But James rebuffed his offer. Soon, two other officers showed up and they, too, offered to lend a hand.

“I couldn’t let him walk that far,” Officer Blimine told WSB.

James fought back tears as the officers gave him $80 for cab fare back to Atlanta.

“Thank God for those officers,” he said.

It was a random act of kindness for a man down on his luck -– trying to make right a wrong.

“You could see in the man’s eyes that he was genuinely touched, as I was,” Lt. Chris Dusik told the television station. “I’m truly proud of how Officer Blimine represented the city.”

The mission of the Lilburn Police Department is to preserve the peace and uphold the law. The officers dedicate themselves to serving their community in an “honorable and ethical” manner. I believe the people of Lilburn are well-served by Officer Blimine.

Be kind to one another, the Good Book reminds us. Be tenderhearted. That’s what Officer Andy Blimine did on that harsh winter’s day -- the day he went the extra mile for a stranger.

Since a thread has been made to show the bad things some of the police in this nation have done, I thought there should be a thread about the good things some of these men and women have done. I completely agree it's horrible what some police officers have done over the years, but they aren't all bad and deserve some recognition for doing good things as well. There will always be some people who will "hate" cops no matter what and that's there right. Let’s not forgot that there are bad people in every industry in this world. People all over the world have been abused, harassed, assaulted, and even killed by the hands of individuals from all walks of life and all kinds of professions. There are good and bad people everywhere you go. I figured we should show some good for once.

Officer's good deed captured on social media - YouTube

This thread likely will not receive the traffic the negative one does, possibly underscoring the vast amount of negativity generated toward law enforcement. But you know, while reading the rants about bad cops, one thing I never hear is a rant about bad service when someone calls 911 and asks for help, whether it is a stray dog or prowler, or whatever.

I do not know the statistics about how likely it is for someone in their lifetime to call for help, but I don't think the dispatcher or respondent checks to see if the caller has ranted on NWF or elsewhere. In other words, when help is requested, it is sent, regardless of the mindset of the caller, or nature of the concern. Something to think about...

one thing I never hear is a rant about bad service when someone calls 911 and asks for help, whether it is a stray dog or prowler, or whatever.

Really - lol - never hear that? Thanks for the laugh, but I have to call major :bsflag: on that one.

I mean expecting 'good service' from a public servant who gets paid with my taxes is probably too much to ask.

What about the guy on here that caught the 17 year old stealing his motorcycle in his garage, held him at gunpoint and had to wait two hours? Dozen of complaints about cops never being around when you need them or taking hours to get to a crime scene even when a gun is reported. You must be a cop. Too funny.

Cops - never there when you need them and if you call them you are just inviting trouble into your life.

Cut their budget 90% and then only thing you'll miss is getting that speeding ticket. Most of the time, in most circumstances, they are useless. They are there for the corporate state and have zero obligation or desire to 'protect and serve' any of us.

This isn't cop hater rhetoric. Simply the facts of the situation.

This isn't cop hater rhetoric. Simply the facts of the situation.
You didn't even read his post. Evltwn suggeted that very few have ever been denied service by the 911 dispatchers. Somehow you saw this as a perfect opportunity to continue to spread anti-cop rhetoric in a thread which I surmise, based on the title, was an attempt to look at a different perspective. Some people just like to stir the pot, I get that, but it's becoming a big issue recently that I don't see anyone addressing on this forum.

No I read it and re-read it. The quote about no one rants about bad service is still hilarious. It would be great if the 'service' given was reviewed like it would be from a restaurant, on a site like Citysearch hahaha. All Fs.

Stirring the pot and calling someone out on a ridiculous statement are two different things. Next he'll be saying no one complains about service at the DMV or Post Office.

Wow same title and everything. That one didn't seem to get a lot of traffic. Maybe this one will do a little better. It seems like the bashing threads tend to be more popular around here.

seems to be more bad cop stories than good cop stories. maybe a trend has been started?

Bert, you are welcome to your opinion. I stand by what I said. God forbid, you will at sometime require help. Should that ever happen, chances are they will respond despite your attitude.

I don't want or need cop help but I will always be thankful to an anonymous Cali HWY Patrolman for possibly saving my wife's life long ago

Her POS Datsun commute car broke down on the I 5 Vietnam veteran's bridge at 9 PM Friday nite.. alternator failed. If you've ever seen the pea fog in that valley (Sacramento river where the airport is) you know what it was like that night.. only up on the apex of the bridge was it somewhat faded out. It was 1979 and she was a very pretty blonde co-ed coming home from Sac State U to Woodland for the weekend. Two creeps in hoodies pulled up behind her in a big car and started banging on her windows telling her to come out and they would "help" her. From her description and the date I suspect they were the Hillside Stranglers, headed to Seattle for more rape and murders. I also suspect they saw a break in the fog and the incoming Patrolman and that was why they scrammed. All she had was a razor sharp knife I stowed under her seat, and her showing it to them was the only reason they didn't have the nerve to break in, yet. He gave her a ride home, that was back when most cops were indeed the good guys

I don't want or need them ever, and never will.

Sorry to be a downer though this will be my last post here.

Some nice stories would be great. Really, the best story I could imagine would be a stand up honest cop who stops his cop buddy from beating up on a little kid or tasing a 87 year old woman. A cop who stands up for what is right despite pressure from his peers to stay silent.

Now that is the type of story I'd love the hear, but doubt I ever will.

My post about bad cops was and is specific to cops in and from calif. I grew up there and speak from first hand knowledge and seeing them operate. I have traveled 44 states, retired from 36 years driving a semi.(I enjoyed trucking) I have no complaint against any cop I came into contact with except calif.

You know how tell if it's cop hater rhetoric? When someone has to say it isn't.

Or when someone says: I support the 2nd Amendment as it applies to hunting!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

A cop who stands up for what is right despite pressure from his peers to stay silent.

Now that is the type of story I'd love the hear, but doubt I ever will.

Ya know Bert, they are out there.

Florida Trooper Arrests Miami Police Officer in Marked Car for Speeding - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLsPBuHgkts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w8Nyp5DkN4

Folks like dirty laundry more than they care to hear and search out the good.

But there are none so blind, as those who will not see.

Cops will never be good enough in most people's eyes. The few bad ones here and there are always pointed out like a sore thumb. Whenever a cop does something remotely bad, the media, cop haters (criminals), and most of the general public attack them. I know there are better cops than others out there, just like in any job.
A few years back a person I know was beat up by her fire fighter husband until she was put in the hospital. You think that makes any news. I'm guessing NO. He's still a hero, right? Not saying fire fighters are bad either, but just pointing out the fact that there are "bad eggs in every field".

I could go on and on... Somewhat off base, but I was going to order a safe from a company that builds them as they are ordered. I was quoted a 4 month wait time before I got it. Thought to myself after I got off the phone, 4 months!!! People build homes in 4 months. That's horrible service. So I went to the Liberty gun in Hubbard and got one that day. I know haters will say that this is not a legit argument because private company's are not paid by our taxes or they are not public servants or blah blah blah. Just making a point that every field has bad service and others have good service. Cops are just pointed out so much easier.

I should stop now because none of this makes much sense:s0112:.

Just making a point that every field has bad service and others have good service. Cops are just pointed out so much easier.

It is true, as they are more in the public eye than dare I say most jobs?

My son made a great point the other day. His friend received a paintball rifle that was not operable out of the box. He mentioned that the company didn't do their job correctly. I chimed in with, we all get upset at the other person for not doing their job correctly, lack of detail etc., but do we hold ourselves to the same standard, so others don't get disappointed with us as his friend did with the poor workmanship and lack of attention to detail in a product that a company sold?

But then on the other hand, if one posts facts about a substandard firearm product on a forum...other members who may own said product act as if you slapped their mother.

But anytime human factor is added into the equation, who knows what's going to come out the other end.

That cops are held to a higher standard has to do with the fact that they are entrusted with the possibility of using deadly force in performance of their duties. You cannot bring back the dead unless you are God, so taking life is the most extreme thing one can do

Well Burt.

I wonder.

Are you the jackstain furnace repair man that screwed up my furnace? Are you the *** that claimed to replace engine parts and charged me 970.00 for a 20 cent fuse? Are you the putz that messed up my printer when I took it in for repair, charged me 120.00 bucks, claimed it was fixed, and when I plugged it in, it started smoking?

I got a ticket the other day for 10 over. Cop was not friendly, but not rude either. I didn't like getting one, but, I screwed up. We all screw up - Big fricken deal!

It's always nice to be able to throw stones at windows. The only thing you accomplish is looking like a jack-***.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top