JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Landed this one on Tuesday in the Maupin unit. Caught him on trail cam Oct. 1st.

WLD_0049.JPG

20211026_140449.jpg

-E-

P.S......before you guys start looking at calendars and speed dialing OSP, I should probably add that while the season actually started on Wednesday for you peasants, I had a Premium tag in my pocket that started Aug. 1st for any elk.

Now, with my Premium tag filled, I can hunt again for any elk until Nov. 30th on my controlled tag. :D

Last Edited:
first season, Starkey. 195yards, 4x5pt bull
I coulda dropped this guy easily 3 different times. I got into elk almost every day but just couldnt connect with a spike for my spike only tag. My hunting partner and I are questioning the merits of spike only hunting...
1027211732a_wm.jpg

first season, Starkey. 195yards, 4x5pt bull
I coulda dropped this guy easily 3 different times. I got into elk almost every day but just couldnt connect with a spike for my spike only tag. My hunting partner and I are questioning the merits of spike only hunting...
View attachment 1068087
I am not a fan of spike-only hunts, sometimes that's all there is.

I am not a fan of spike-only hunts, sometimes that's all there is.
My hunting partner and I are debating hunting coast range any bull on the years we dont draw an any bull tag in Starkey.
The question is, is it easier to hunt any bull on the coast than spike only in easter Oregon? Ive filled more coast tags than out east so i think I know.... But i do love that country out east so much more...

I'd like to hear the story.
Only because you have a 2112 logo. Not much of a story, just when your laying prone for about 45 minutes waiting for them to get from their beds and when they do they quickly go straight uphill its a problem. Shooting steep uphill from prone is asking for it with a real gun. Its gonna get ya. Oh the fun.............

Only because you have a 2112 logo. Not much of a story, just when your laying prone for about 45 minutes waiting for them to get from their beds and when they do they quickly go straight uphill its a problem. Shooting steep uphill from prone is asking for it with a real gun. Its gonna get ya. Oh the fun.............
I killed a 5x5 in Montana several years ago using my dad's Mark V Weatherby in 300 Wby Mag. Found him in his bed and had to wait for him to get up. I wasn't prone, though.

Remember, chicks dig scars.

We have assumed control.

Spike tag is better than NO TAG. i have given up on coast bull. so bought a spike tag. could not make opening day so went wednesday to desolation because it was the closest open hunt. saw no elk saw many deer including 2 whitetail does. kind of a shot in the dark, so should have gone deeper in. i am not familiar with the area so was not sure where to go. saw 2 nice bulls in the back of trucks on the way there. i have been on many spike only hunts when i lived in Idaho, never connected but my nephew did one year. if i don't draw next year i might buy a spike tag again but will try to go for a longer hunt and different unit.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top