JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do old engineering nerds (who spend most of their lives sitting at a table scribbling math equations on paper all day) get so banged up an decrepit?

I'm TEASING!! ;) :D
In my case, career spent in computers and was involved in the early Apple QuickTime video stuff, and digital editing - when I went on the road, it was around 500lb of gear, computer, large (now old school) monitors, etc.

Funny story, kind of - had to go to Vancouver BC for an event to showcase the capabilities, had my 90s K5 Blazer loaded up with equipment, but prefer to drive at night - so was attempting to cross the border around midnight.

Canadian Customs saw an NRA sticker on my window, made me unload and open everything (a whole lot), it was like 3 am by the time they finished going through everything plus the interior, thinking I was smuggling gun(s).

They only thing they found was a 45 ACP round in the cab somewhere. At least I wasn't personally strip searched.
Said I couldn't enter Canada with the bullet, so I told 'em to keep it as a souvenir. After that, I flew everywhere.

Back problems came from 4 years of loading and unloading all that gear without a brace. Silly me.

Now it all makes sense.

Thread '1911 9mm recoil spring weight' https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/1911-9mm-recoil-spring-weight.387919/

".just purchased a 1911 9mm this week
I was expecting a mild shooting pistol since it's a Govenment model
with 147 gn Lawman ammo, it kicked worse than my .45.."
That's +P hot ammo; are you comparing it to 230 ball? Big diff. 45s are always more of a push than a jump, IMO.
I like 125 grain in my Kimber and Dan Wesson.

That's +P hot ammo; are you comparing it to 230 ball? Big diff. 45s are always more of a push than a jump, IMO.
true - the Rock Island 1911 9mm comes with springs for 115 gn - from their spec sheet
to comfortably shoot NATO or +P ammo, one must re-spring it
the original Colt 1911 9mm came with a 23# main spring - the Rock Island comes with an 18# spring
big difference!!
but a spring set cost under $20

for years, I've read that in the 1911 platform, the .45 is more of a push
that's not my experience with 230 gn hardball ammo in my 1911
I just went out and shot my 1911s side by side - 124 gn 9mm vs 230 gn .45
both have been re-sprung for these factory loads
I find the muzzle rise and recoil about the same
so I shoot the 9mm more often since ammo is cheaper

now 115 gn ammo in the 1911 - that's just fun to shoot!!

and yes I change recoil springs for different ammo - how long does that take in a 1911 - 10 sec?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top