JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I switched my G34 Gen. 4 over to tungsten.
Noticeable reduction in muzzle flip.
Greatly reduced Mrs. Garvs FTEs before eventually adjusting her grip.
The effect was immediate.

I have one in my G23. I haven't noticed that it makes much difference.
do you have the older heavy Tungsten rod or the new 1.6 oz "pure" tungsten rod?

do you have the uncaptured spring or the capture spring?

what spring weight are you running?

I am not recommending that anyone purchase this item - I'm saying it works for me

Older rod with capture spring. Not sure the spring weight, I'd have to go look it up.

Just relating my experience, wasn't saying it won't work well for other folks.

What kind of hot 9mm ammo are you shooting at the range to need recoil assistance?
I feel my response to you was emotional and not technical - my apology - as a retired engineer, I should know better
on my 1911 9mm, I have it tuned so when the slide goes back in battery, it is back on target, no repositioning your hands or sight picture
my follow up shot is only restricted by trigger reset and slide going back into battery
my Glock didn't do this, the slide was back in battery when the muzzle was still elevated, had to push it down to target alignment
with this new solid tungsten rod and 15 lbs spring, with Winchester factory 115 ammo, my front sight is back on target when the slide is back in battery
what restricts my follow up shots is the trigger
my Glock trigger can't come close to the short stroke of a 1911 3.5# match trigger

hope this clarifies

I feel my response to you was emotional and not technical - my apology - as a retired engineer, I should know better
on my 1911 9mm, I have it tuned so when the slide goes back in battery, it is back on target, no r
my Glock trigger can't come close to the short stroke of a 1911 3.5# match trigger

hope this clarifies
Retired engineer here too, sorry to hear things rolled down hill the last few years. I also prefer 1911s over all but due to chronic back pain, no longer carry one, which is why I went to polymer.

Back on the topic, I have an older 1911 Commander with sealed mercury inside the guide rod and noticed the reductions you mention with pure tungsten. As a rule I found adjusting recoil springs and load types has the most impact on recoil and 2nd shot recovery and that's a lot less expensive, at least with range ammo or if you reload. I prefer trigger and sight upgrades for bigger bucks.

If it works for you, that's what matters most. Best wishes at the range.

I purchased a Glock 10 years ago because everyone told me I needed to have one
still not good with one, but this tungsten rod helps
most of my shooting now is with the 1911 9mm, a 1911 just shoots naturally for me
my lifestyle doesn't require me to carry and my firing rang is just outside my front door

if I'm going to shoot my Redhawk .44 Mag, I actually put on a back brace - know about back issues
getting old sucks

on my 1911 9mm, I have it tuned so when the slide goes back in battery, it is back on target, no repositioning your hands or sight picture
my follow up shot is only restricted by trigger reset and slide going back into battery
my Glock didn't do this, the slide was back in battery when the muzzle was still elevated, had to push it down to target alignment
with this new solid tungsten rod and 15 lbs spring, with Winchester factory 115 ammo, my front sight is back on target when the slide is back in battery
what restricts my follow up shots is the trigger

hope this clarifies

Retired engineer here too, sorry to hear things rolled down hill the last few years. I also prefer 1911s over all but due to chronic back pain, no longer carry one, which is why I went to polymer.

Back on the topic, I have an older 1911 Commander with sealed mercury inside the guide rod and noticed the reductions you mention with pure tungsten. As a rule I found adjusting recoil springs and load types has the most impact on recoil and 2nd shot recovery and that's a lot less expensive, at least with range ammo or if you reload. I prefer trigger and sight upgrades for bigger bucks.

If it works for you, that's what matters most. Best wishes at the range.

I purchased a Glock 10 years ago because everyone told me I needed to have one
still not good with one, but this tungsten rod helps
most of my shooting now is with the 1911 9mm, a 1911 just shoots naturally for me
my lifestyle doesn't require me to carry and my firing rang is just outside my front door

if I'm going to shoot my Redhawk .44 Mag, I actually put on a back brace - know about back issues
getting old sucks

How do old engineering nerds (who spend most of their lives sitting at a table scribbling math equations on paper all day) get so banged up an decrepit?

I'm TEASING!! ;) :D

How do old engineering nerds (who spend most of their lives sitting at a table scribbling math equations on paper all day) get so banged up an decrepit?
From days of yore, young, dumb and full of ____. There is a payback, you just don't know it when you're invincible and base jumping, motocrossing or doing stupid things that go along with "hold my beer..."

Reading this, I feel sceptical 1.6oz up front is going to change much at all. Probably just be easier and cheaper to glue a few pennies to your rail. Though my 17L does recoil smoother than my 34, which is smoother than my 19s...

Reading this, I feel sceptical 1.6oz up front is going to change much at all. Probably just be easier and cheaper to glue a few pennies to your rail. Though my 17L does recoil smoother than my 34, which is smoother than my 19s...
I've seen where the race-gunners use weights that clamp onto the rail or use a weapon light shell and fill it with lead shot or coins.

I like stainless steel guide rods and run them in my Glocks. I can see the niche for Tungsten though.
I always replace plastic guide rods with full length stainless steel units from the most aptly-named company in history, Stainless Steel Guide Rods (SSGR).
I don't know if they improve my shooting, help w recoil management, or make me better-looking, but they do look and feel more solid than the plasticky plastic bits used by almost every manufacturer. That includes YOU, Walther.
Never tried tungsten before. I doubt there's tungsten rods available for my preferred carry junk (HK)... the machining involved would probably make them stupid-expensive.

I can assure you for me, with Winchester 115 ammo, it does. I shot a string, then changed out the rod on the shooting bench and shot another string
the reduction in muzzle rise was very obvious

how much does you "fairly heavy" G17 weigh?

I put both my 9mm 1911 and my G22/9mm conversion with the tungsten guide rod on the scale - empty

the 1911 weighs 42 oz - this upgraded Glock weighs 34 oz

this guide rod only weighs

how much does you "fairly heavy" G17 weigh?

I put both my 9mm 1911 and my G22/9mm conversion with the tungsten guide rod on the scale - empty

the 1911 weighs 42 oz - this upgraded Glock weighs 34 oz

this guide rod only weighs 1.6 OZ
Heavier is an advertised claimed benefit. In my mind the operative fact of my skepticism is the $129.

I don't want to get off on a tangent with this thread, but I pulled out my VP9 to shoot against the 1911 9mm and the Glock with the tungsten rod

to my surprise, my stock VP9 didn't have any different muzzle rise than my tuned full size 1911, with the same Winchester ammo

when the slide is back in battery, your right back on target

and with the almost single stage trigger, I can get off followup shots with the VP9 faster than the Glock

I'll admit, I've not fired 115 gn in the VP9 before, been feeding it a steady diet of Nato 9mm

I'll have to pull it out more often now

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads