JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many of the posts nail it: the Glock just plain works. Accuracy, ergonomics, trigger pull, et al., is good enough for a defensive piece. There is a reason why the company has done so well; the product works as it should.

But many, myself included, have moved on to other options. That, and for want of a better term, it has no "soul", in the eyes of some. Yes, I own one, but hardly ever shoot or carry it anymore, as other arms have filled the rôles it once had. I suppose I could sell it off, but meh, why bother.

At the end of the day, if the Glock works for someone's needs, it is a fine option. Though I still cannot countenance a Hi-Point. Everyone has a limit. :p

I train with mine in real world environments. They all have scratches and wear from it. I don't care at all. What I care about it knowing if I ever did need to rely on them, I have no doubt they would function.

My 1911 is stored away safely, my Glocks are ready for action. Enough said.

I have this sick urge to own one. o_O

wydrqctdxka67yja_v1_.png

Glocks are great in many ways, a lot of reasons to carry one. I like the trigger on a 1911 much better, that breaking glass trigger makes for premium accuracy. Do we need really great triggers at handgun distance? All the Glocks sold pretty much moved away from great triggers and the acceptance of good enough. Glocks are good tools, I like em for what they are.:)

When buying a lightweight, high capacity 10mm, there are few choices. So I chose a G-20. For a .40 with the same requirements I chose an M&P .40. Ergonomics played a part, and made over here played a part as well.

Gotta say, I'm much more impressed with the M&P trigger. Granted I'm not comparing apples to apples regarding power, but .40 self defense ammo from Underwood Ammo is pretty close to FMJ 10mm from the Philippines, judging from my completely accurate "feel-o-meter."

So I'm more accurate with my M&P than my Glock. But load up my G-20 with Underwood 155 grain hollowpoint ammo it's a big 'ol handful. Yeah baby.

They are reliable and cheap. And they were first. Which gave them a tremendous loyal following. It also doesn't hurt any that they've done a very good job of getting various police and military contracts. People are familiar with them because of their work relationship with them. So when it comes time to buy a gun themselves, they go with what they are familiar with.

Personally, I don't see the attraction much either. I mean, I get it when there weren't really any other polymer options. But now there are plenty of other choices...that aren't as ugly or that have the weird grip angle. I'll take a M&P any day over a Glock.

Edit: Never mind. I didn't realize this was a MHS entry. Wow. Even if they met the criteria, there is no way anyone would want that as their duty weapon. I almost want to know why they bothered. I wonder if they're going to make any real money off this.

Last Edited:
Edit: Never mind. I didn't realize this was a MHS entry. Wow. Even if they met the criteria, there is no way anyone would want that as their duty weapon. I almost want to know why they bothered. I wonder if they're going to make any real money off this.
If you're talking about a Glock, they will always make money off whatever they come out with. At least they will stay profitable for a few more years, no doubt in my mind.

The Glock was the first mass produced successful polymer gun.

Working in business you quickly learn that first to market with something innovative, with a real need, that meets the basic requirements of the product, usually means market dominance. If you don't hamstring yourself with cost. See: iPhone, cameras, Kleenex, hybrid cars, engine design, processors, etc.

You gain mind share and market share at an incredible pace while your competition is caught flat-footed.

As your competitors are trying to get a gun out the door, an aftermarket is building up. After market drives popularity and keeps your share up as people can customize freely. See 1911, see iPhone, see small block Chevy, see 5.0 Ford.

First to market. Address basic requirements for product. Developed after market.

Now Glock has transitioned into a mature product which will get mini revisions but those revisions can't threaten the after market support. This is why you won't see much innovation. They are locked in unless they start causing severe problems for one piece of their puzzle.

Step back and go. Why would I buy a Glock? Well my friend has one. I can get parts really easily. I don't like this about it but I can change that. It works reliable enough. I can always get any holster, light, rmr, I want for it.

BTW I dislike Glocks, but a winning combination is a winning combination, no matter what you're selling.

I bought a Gen 3 for the wife to use as her home defense pistol when I'm gone.
It's got one in the chamber and a full load in the magazine. She doesn't have to think about where the safety is or rack the slide.
Simple for her to operate and if she can't get the job done with 18 rds then she's got bigger problems then what a pistol can provide.

I like lots of different handguns (1911, PPK/S, Ruger etc.). Glocks have their place. They are utilitarian. They run dirty. They eat just about anything. They are simple to clean and they are easy to shoot well.

I don't think they will ever be called a "tack driver" but for me at defensive distances, my G42 does exactly what I need. One of my buddies is in the DEA and he carries a G17 in 45acp. Very easy to shoot well. I can shoot my Colt NM better, but I would rather have his 17 shots instead of my 7.

For a service weapon or CC gun, Glocks make a LOT of sense cost-wise, accuracy-wise and maintenance-wise. They will never win a beauty contest, but they will always be ready for duty, even if you don't take perfect care of it.

I the only real reason I started liking Glocks was my uncle. He has NEVER cleaned his Glock 23. Not once. He's put thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots pretty well when we go out. I had him take off the slide for me once. It was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen (to my just left service eyes).

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top